Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Mosquito Coast - AppleTV+

• 31-03-2021 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭

Based on the book by Paul Theroux It was made into a film in the 80's starring Harrison Ford Helen Mirren and River River Phoenix.

The show runner is Luther creator Neil Cross and will star Paul Theroux's nephew Justin Theroux & Melissa George. Rupert Wyatt directs the first two episodes.

Starts April 30th.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Watched the first episode and whilst you can see the ending coming it still is a good first episode

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Had to keep watching! On episode 3 now, this is great

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

just watch the movie, its great, this looks very different, hardly the same story at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Renewed for a second season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

with only 7 eps they don't
    get to The Mosquito Coast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Think I heard Grace giving this show a nod a while back so giving it a shot.

1: That really packed a punch

at the end there. I'd half/half not been thinking something like that might happen but where it happened my mind was focused on the cop looking doubtful about something

After that I thought

the show is avoiding giving the audience an understanding of what the full picture is but it doing a good job of saying: here's where they are and what they are doing right now in this moment.

2: Well I couldn't see anyway that was gonna play out especially when the guns were involved

Being at the US - Mexican border and the tenseness and the guns brought the memory of the Sicario border scene to me so it felt like just a matter of how the gunfight would play out. Was kind of surprising to see all three dead milita guys. Wondering if Chuy has some history that's gonna be revealed.

Like the discussion around consumerism at the start and the

faking using the sewers.

Not sure what's going on with

the NSA but I assume that's all part of the bigger story that the showrunners want to keep the audience with

3: Episode on desert survival was fairly well made. Everything just seems to hinge now

on what's this big secret of what the Father.. or maybe what the Mother did to have the NSA after them.. It all feels a bit wierd resting the show on that

4: DAMMMMNNN .. I was looking through my fingers at

that tongue in the scissors scene 😲😧😰

The whole episde was done well enough but that was really tense! Hadn't a clue what was gonna happen.

The series still hanging on

this slow .. dragging .. release of what went down with the NSA. Stronger hints the mother was involved now too

5: Start of this episode and I was like 😲

jeeez.. what did Jorge do?!!?

I assume these guys

in the orange hats must be some sort of intelligence outfit but not the NSA but are the people the Mother and Father have been trying to get to

Now the kids

on the other hand.. they could easily be about to be caught by the hitman and his group of kids.

• Advertisement

6: Hrmmm..

didn't think the NSA would get taken out so easily.. thought they might have been able to have some backup.

guessing for the last episode, it's

just a trip to Guatamala and finding out what the father/mother did to the NSA left

Finished! .. season one.. So a mystery thriller with lots of MacGyvering. Not sure what the endpoint is but like.. the show story could be figured out well... or they could be going in a Lost direction. I see it was renewed for a second season so will probably know more after that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mosquito_Coast_(TV_series)

7: A good performance from the dude playing

The Municipal Cop for the small few scenes he was in. Really lent the uh-oh, danger coming feel.

Also from Justin Theroux right there at the end of the episode with the manic laughter but the look of being a bit lost himself.

For the overall story, it seems

to be that it's down to the mother having done something with the NSA more than whatever the father has done. That he's doing some covering over or something. I dunno. They really seem to be resting the show on it so it would want to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I found the first 2 or 3 episodes interesting, finished episode 5 , losing a bit of interest now

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

overall mixed, didnt really buy into the whole family dynamic, are they letting AI write scripts now? maybe they will learn to understand how real humans behave one day 🙄

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Definitely went direct to recap before jumping back into this. Found this nice short recap video on youtube:

The Mosquito Coast Season 1 Recap | Everything You Need To Know Before Season 2 | Must watch

2.1: Right so... that was the backstory. It was alright I guess.. makes sense. Nothing groundbreaking.

I think their on-the-run story was/is much stronger.

I guess it'll be next episode for that main story to resume.

2.2: Maybe just because it's so soon after, nI found the backstory related to the dangers they find themselves in a bit distracting. There's always an element of they could die versus the consequence of the backstory being they might not die.

Anyway.. that aside, the MacGyver-ing done for the big issue here felt like it delivered a solid episode. You can never have too much duct tape! 😁

The crocdile and the insert bite did bring some dread and ominous danger feeling but damn.. fixing that hole in the boat felt good! Expecially with the ratchet strap! 🙂

I wonder if something more will come of the

abandoned drilling site.. some new dangerous gang maybe

2.3: At the start of this one, I was like Hey! That's yo-yo from Agent's of Shield! 🙂

The timejump and revealing what had happened was keeping my attention.

After that though.. I thought it started to drag and was thinking the episode would just end a bit dull.

BUT!

The looks on the faces at the end! How it all tied together! That! That was fun 😀

Wierdest thing I found about the episode was when

the baddie was there being all baddie and stuff.. he just didn't come across proper menacing. That contributed to the dull feeling for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This has been cancelled after 2 seasons; I only even post this 'cos of course, we had just started watching this.

So: does season 2 end satisfactorily, or does it finish on a cliffhanger / with threads unresolved? Been quite enjoying this so far, even if the effort the script makes to avoid answering the question of "what did he do??" is kinda tedious affter a fashion.

Haven't got there yet. Early season 2 does explain what was done though.. unless they've hidden anything extra for the rest of the season.

I thought that what was done.. was a bit of an anticlimax to all that build up in season 1.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Honestly I've braced myself for an anticlimax since starting this (still mid season 1). The more the show waggled its eyebrows and played coy, the more it accidentally hyped up the cause. No way it could match that withholding.

• Advertisement
Advertisement