Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speedmaster Pro - £2450 a good price?

• 13-02-2014 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭

I'd appreciate hearing your opinions on a purchase I hope to make soon. Is £2500GBP (~€2980) a reasonable price for a new Speedmaster Pro ("Moonwatch" Hesalite, 3570.50.00) from an authorised dealer?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,183 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

RRP is £2880 so it's somewhat of a discount but not the most generous one. Swiss Watches Direct offer it at £2,250. Depends where you're going to be and what else you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭burnhardlanger

I bought mine from Omega at Heathrow in 2010.
    Saved on the VAT and it came out to €2,300, saving €600 if I bought through an Irish AD.

Assuming the tax free still applies and considering the vat rate of 20% and RRP of £2880, it would come out to €2,800, saving you 180. But with the catch that you'd have to go through the airport itself to avail of it.

Would you consider pre-owned? It's a popular watch so supply is ample and you could reasonably get one for circa 2k in great condition.

Edit: There's one on Adverts.ie for 2k. Heads Up.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

I got mine from iconicwatches.co.uk for £2230 ish just before Christmas. They sell for £1600 to £1900 second hand on some forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

there is a Omega Speedmaster 3570.50.00 on TZ now for £1750

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Thanks guys. I've agreed a price on the one on Adverts. Heading to pick it up in the morning.

Cheers all.

• Advertisement

Hi FYI, the prices I quoted were for full set. Watch, box and papers.

dmigsy wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I've agreed a price on the one on Adverts. Heading to pick it up in the morning.

Cheers all.

great catch and a great price...well done

If you flip it, drop me a PM

Picked it up this morning. Delighted with the condition and the deal. Thanks again to all for your help, especially burnhardlanger - I had somehow missed it on adverts until your heads up.

iddsi8m.jpg?1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Niiiice. Well may you wear. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Enjoy. I cant wear any other watch anymore. The combination on the domed hesalite and stark white hands are so ready to read. I get frustrated when I wear my other watches because it takes that tiny bit longer to subconsciously rotate the dial to the correct angle and locate the hands.

Mine has developed a clasp spring problem though and Weirs are looking for a €50 handling fee to courier it to Swatch group for warranty repair. Need to investigate other options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Mine has developed a clasp spring problem though and Weirs are looking for a €50 handling fee to courier it to Swatch group for warranty repair. Need to investigate other options.

Regarding your clasp problem, try these guys, omegas people in the Uk. http://www.swisstimeservices.co.uk

I love my speedy too. I couldn't dream of not having one in my collection.

Regarding your clasp problem, try these guys, omegas people in the Uk. http://www.swisstimeservices.co.uk

I love my speedy too. I couldn't dream of not having one in my collection.

Thanks, going to try contacting Swatch Group near Dublin Castle on Monday - failing that a new spring costs about £10 so I'll do the job myself. I love my Speedmaster but the bracelet clasp and lack of microadjustments or half links lets things down a bit. Japanese watches are often accused of having bad bracelets but the braclet and clasp on my Seiko Sarb appear to be just as good or better than the Speedmaster's bracelet/clasp. Anyway, as a backup I have a strap and a Nato on the way from Timefactors.

Speedmaster is still my favourite watch on the wrist though. Had a look in Weirs and Brown Thomas today - even tried on the BP 50F which was lovely but I don't really have the desire to buy any other watch. @dmigsy I hope that you get as much enjoyment out of yours.

I really need to get me a speedie

Wrong thread..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭893bet

You got it! And sold it! And it changed hands 5 times at least since then!

You are selling yours cheap enough on adverts.

They've appreciated a bit since I bought it and I got it for a good price at the time. I've loved owning and wearing it so not looking to squeeze the absolute max price out of it. Think I've priced it fairly for a quick sale. Looking forward to the offers of half a flagon of cider and a chip butty for it on adverts now 🤣.

It’s a fair price for a full set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Mine now....he he he he

These do change hands more than juggling balls. I had one I got off 893bet sold it after 3 months to a guy that kept it 24 hours, to a trader and on and on.

Some people just can’t bond with it no matter how hard they try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Not the omega I’d go for if I wanted to “bond” with one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I would call it a Dad joke except kids wouldn’t get it .

seen this earlier and had a look for info about the watch . It’s a Breitling Geiger counter watch from the movie Thunderball. I’m surprised Breitling haven’t done a reissue or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Omega Speedmaster - can't live with them, cant live without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Considering pulling the trigger on a speedy but still in the browsing stage. Would I be correct in saying you're looking at 1600 - 2000 bracket without box/papers? In that a 'full set' really bumps the price? Looking at Catawiki recently this seems to be the case but would rather a boards perspective lol

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

I suspect at that price range you might be looking at the speedmaster reduced, rather than the speedmaster moonwatch?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Yes, although a moonwatch 1990-1999 went for €1600 on Catawiki the other week. No papers. Will try and find the ad but just curious re folks thoughts here are they more inclined to spend a bit more to get the 'full set'?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭micks_address

it really depends on your intention for the watch... which is hard to determine sometimes... if you want a speedy to hold onto and wear.. then a box and papers is only taking up spaces in a press somewhere.. if you want to sell on its worth a bit extra... probably as much as 500 to 700 in the case of the speedies ive seen advertised. i bought mine from chrono24 without box or papers.. for about 3k.. the cheapest with box was 3700... that was back in jan.. something thats more important would be service history. Service on the speedmaster is north of 500 euro even with an independent. So i'd probably value a service over a box... you can buy a box for about 100 euro.. a box plus a service invoice is almost as valuable as box plus warranty card?

Box and papers seem to be getting more and more important. Its one thing a 500 euro difference when you buy but it can be twice that when you sell. People beat you to death if you have no papers as if the watch is somehow now worthless.

I think its a total farce myself but I do find myself drawn to ones with full sets cause its just easier. After looking at a fellow holding four fake daytonas with four set of fake papers on adverts and reporting it this afternoon I am reminded what a retard you need to be to think papers and box mean your watch is genuine.

There are a rare few watches where the papers make a lot of difference, the OG Kermit is one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement