Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost-Effective, High-Functionality, User-Friendly Replacement for Pay TV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

VanZan wrote: »
    Is permanent timeshift enabled by default? I had a look in settings and was confused by the different terminology. I'm thinking it's not because "autorecord" is set to no. But I can still pause live TV so....

As I understand it, permanent timeshift starts recording a channel as soon as you switch to it. This means the box is always recording something which to my mind is unnecessary wear and tear on a HDD. However, you can still pause live TV. The difference is the recording only begins when you hit pause. Pausing live will only resume from the moment you paused it. With permanent timeshift you can rewind to the moment you first started watching.
    I imagine the idea of permanent is to allow you repeat a goal for example, although in practice broadcasters usually do this anyway.
    Live pause is more for when the phone rings or someone calls to your door. (remember when that used to happen? ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Is permanent timeshift enabled by default? I had a look in settings and was confused by the different terminology. I'm thinking it's not because "autorecord" is set to no. But I can still pause live TV so....

Not on my latest build. TBH it was an oversight, I now only use the Tiviar as a backup, mainly for recording programs I want to keep permanently. It didn't make sense to keep timeshift on permanently, it was just wearing the HDD.

In regular day-to-day use we found permanent timeshift brilliant. You could miss the start of a program and rewind back. Also great when watching sports, if you want to look back over something.

Guess there's no way to put in a small USB drive with a movie on it and play it simply.

There's no problem using a USB Drive, at a minimum up to 1TB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭greasepalm

If going usb hdd route i suggest a desktop powered externally unit to keep the stress off usb port.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭VanZan

OK I fitted that AV drive so how do I enable permanent timeshift exactly? Do I just enable "Autorecord"? Also I was looking on NCM's Google Drive and I could only see a small amount of picons...only seems to go to stuff beginning with "A"? Not that it matters as I got the complete lot off the drive I replaced. Thanks! :)

• Advertisement

OK I fitted that AV drive so how do I enable permanent timeshift exactly? Do I just enable "Autorecord"? Also I was looking on NCM's Google Drive and I could only see a small amount of picons...only seems to go to stuff beginning with "A"? Not that it matters as I got the complete lot off the drive I replaced. Thanks! :)

I've no access to the box from here, and don't remember the setting for
    permanent timeshift. Do not enable autorecord. That records everything you watch and fills up your hdd.

I don't know what happened the picons, I don't bother with them myself. If you're willing to upload yours I'll send a link when I get home, on Wednesday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Just wondering if anyone has ever lost channels due to a software / plugin update?
    My usual channel setup is gone. The skin is the same,m but normally on the channels, I have a folder with all the Irish Channels and another folder with the Freesat channels but now its all missing....

Not sure if it was a software update or the baby managed to do something with the remote. I've had a look around the menu myself but I may as well be looking at a rocket.

Do you have Autobouquetsmaker installed and running , on the second page you should/might have your favourites list.

greasepalm wrote: »
    Do you have Autobouquetsmaker installed and running , on the second page you should/might have your favourites list.

Yes, I believe it is.
    Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by 2nd page.

Your abm page has a list of bouquets that dont all fit on page 1 scroll down further or use the right arrow next to Okay button to get the second page up.

• Advertisement

Thank you. I'll take a look at that.

permanent timeshift. Do not enable autorecord. That records everything you watch and fills up your hdd.

I don't know what happened the picons, I don't bother with them myself. If you're willing to upload yours I'll send a link when I get home, on Wednesday. :)

I don't know how to ask this without coming across as a twat but are you home yet? :D

I don't know how to ask this without coming across as a twat but are you home yet? :D

Must have big ba**s asking:D:D

Are ya there yet:eek::eek::eek::eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sqsqswqdwdwq

I'm tried to use 2 different USB drives (32GB and 2GB). Both resulted in the same issue
    (See attached pics).... When I try to set the Timeshift location, or, the Autorecord location to /media/usb/, the system returns an error "The directory /medai/usb/ is not as EXT2, EXT3, EXT4, NFS or CIFS partition. Make sure you select a valid partition type".
    I formatted the USB drive to EXT2 and EXT4 with the AOMEI Partition Assistant utility, The utility indicates that the USB drive is formatted to EXT2, but still returns the above error when I try to set the Timeshift and Autorecord locations to USB. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Does the location /media/usb exist?

Is the USB drive partition mounted to that location?

Does the location /media/usb exist?

Is the USB drive partition mounted to that location?

Strangest thing is that when I turned the unit back on, the Timeshift operates fine. When I look at the "\\TIVIARAPLUS\Root\media\usb" folder from my W10 laptop, I can even see the file "timeshift.uPYyvP" incrementing in size.
    Can't fix it now when it's not broken, but I suspect that the issue might surface again.
    Anyway, thanks for your help

Strangest thing is that when I turned the unit back on, the Timeshift operates fine. When I look at the "\\TIVIARAPLUS\Root\media\usb" folder from my W10 laptop, I can even see the file "timeshift.uPYyvP" incrementing in size.
    Can't fix it now when it's not broken, but I suspect that the issue might surface again.
    Anyway, thanks for your help

One other question ...... I have a 2GB USB drive in the slot....how do I stop the warning message that says something like "the Timeshift buffer has reached its capacity - what do you want to do, Erase Timeshift, or Leave this menu"?

See my attached TS current settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

One other question ...... I have a 2GB USB drive in the slot....how do I stop the warning message that says something like "the Timeshift buffer has reached its capacity - what do you want to do, Erase Timeshift, or Leave this menu"?

1 hour of HD recording can be more than 4Gb. A long movie can easily exceed 12Gb

I'm home from Kerry, BUT the Tiviar is currently in storage as we are preparing to move.

When the storage is full you're options are to erase it or stop timeshift. If you choose 'Leave this menu' timeshift will be disabled. There is no way around this.

In your settings you have enabled autorecord. This records everything you watch, so it is likely that your storage is full. My first step would be to delete any recordings and turn off autorecord.

• Advertisement

1 hour of HD recording can be more than 4Gb. A long movie can easily exceed 12Gb

So if there's no way of disabling the "Capacity reached" error message, I'd have to put in for example, a 32GB USB drive??

So if there's no way of disabling the "Capacity reached" error message, I'd have to put in for example, a 32GB USB drive??

Sorry - just saw NCM's response now. THx

Set the max timeshift duration to be less than the capacity of the drive, with autorecord off. For example with your setting of 1 hour you would need a capacity of 5GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭cwboy

All the ITV channels seem to be gone from the EPG . Is this a know issue or something wrong with our setup?

There is an issue, but I'm away and won't have a chance to check, for some time. What I suggest is updating the service provider files and doing a rescan. (If that fails ABM may need to be updated. I wouldn't recommend doing a general update, as this build is now quite old.)

NCM is it safe to install the Movie Browser ipk on your image? I have an external usb hard drive with a load of movies.

It should be fine, but that plug-in is not maintained any more. I used it in early builds but I haven't used it for a while. (Between Netflix, Prime etc. I've access to more films than I would view in my lifetime.j

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭cwboy

Thanks NCM. When I go to update it says Incompatible versions 3.1>3.2

Ok, I managed to have a quick look. My most recent build uses a favourites list. A disadvantage of these is that they don't automatically update, when frequencies change - hence the blank slots for ITV2/3/4. There are instructions somewhere on the thread on editing the favourites list, or somebody may be able to help.

In the meantime the channels are still available in the Entertainment Bouquet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

Hey NewClareman, do you have a link to your latest build please? I've been using THHB's but want to try something different thanks!

Advertisement