Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Decide - Best Movie Poster

• 28-06-2021 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

I've noticed a lot of the Boardsies Decide tournaments focus on movies so with that in mind I'm going in this direction. Boardsies Decide... the Best Movie Poster Ever. Posters are sometimes enough to get you invested enough to buy a ticket to an upcoming film. Others linger in the mind long after the credits have rolled. Some transcend the big screen and become part of popular culture in and of themselves. I'm looking for us all to find the absolute greatest of them all.
    movie-posters.jpg

collage.jpg?w=780

I will ask you to submit no more than 5 entries for this via PM and we will get proceedings underway by next week. Poster should be an official release from the studio involved. Looking forward to this one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

Always liked this one. Though never saw the film

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

That's a cracker Stephen, I'll take that as a nomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,613 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

If anyone wants inspiration, here's a peehs quiz I ran last year...
    Round 1
    Black-1.jpg

Round 2
    Black-2.jpg

Round 3
    Black-3.jpg

Round 4
    Black-4.jpg

Round 5
    Black-into-White.jpg

Round 6
    White-1.jpg

Round 7
    White-2.jpg

Round 8
    R-Red.jpg

Round 9
    R-Orange.jpg

Round 10
    R-Yellow.jpg

Round 11
    R-Green.jpg

Round 12
    R-Blue.jpg

And its sequel...
    Round 1
    Buildings-and-animals.jpg

Round 2
    Horizontal.jpg

Round 3
    Faces.jpg

Round 4
    Pairs.jpg

Round 5
    Groups.jpg

Round 6
    Odd-light.jpg

Round 7
    Whiteish.jpg

Round 8
    Orangeish.jpg

Round 9
    Orangeish-2.jpg

Round 10
    Blueish.jpg

Round 11
    Blueish-2.jpg

Round 12
    Odd-dark.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭LadySkunk

Do we include reasons for our choices? I like this one, already have my favourite one but must do a bit of research for the rest :D

• Advertisement

LadySkunk wrote: »
    Do we include reasons for our choices? I like this one, already have my favourite one but must do a bit of research for the rest :D

For nominations reasons aren't needed.

During the game itself, it's generally better and more interesting when reasons are submitted. They're also used in the event of tie breakers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Great tournament idea Omack! Could I suggest (feel free to ignore) that all of EN's above are entered by default and then we nominate 5 others each for anyone who has a favourite movie poster not included there already?

• Registered Users Posts: 84,753 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A great tournie idea Mac

quickbeam wrote: »
    Great tournament idea Omack! Could I suggest (feel free to ignore) that all of EN's above are entered by default and then we nominate 5 others each for anyone who has a favourite movie poster not included there already?

I'm gonna respectfully go with the original plan and the reason is that I tend to do one match at a time whereas other game runners run 4 or 5 bouts at a time. So get those noms in!

Noms in. I generally don't pay much attention to movie posters. I also tried to separate the poster from the movie itself. Looking forward to the knockouts!

• Advertisement

Sent five in.
    Just went for the first five I thought or I'd go crazy, there's hundreds!

In fact, I'm already getting annoyed that I forgot an obvious one... and another...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Same Nitty. As QBeam was saying I had to try hard to differentiate the quality of the poster from the quality of the film.

Looking forward to this but I think it will be tough, probably a few surprises / upsets along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Cracking theme Mack. Will get my noms to you later. Tough but already know which 5 Im picking.

Sent five in.
    Just went for the first five I thought or I'd go crazy, there's hundreds!

In fact, I'm already getting annoyed that I forgot an obvious one... and another...

Always the possibility of a last chance battle royal in these things….

A nice number of nominations in so far and some real iconic suggestions. Keep them coming folks!

From YLYL...
    New Home wrote: »
    629496.jpg
    :D

Gonna put out a last call for nominations folks. Will be starting this one within a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Do you want links to images of the posters, or just the movie?

Edit: Just sent them in anyway. Was hard to cut it down to just five. Left off some on the assumption that they'd be nominated by others anyway. We shall see. :o

Apologies I’ve been away the last two days. I’ve received your nominations Dave. Nice one :)

Not sure if everyone is still here or not (and I wouldn't blame you if not, the ''upgrade'' has been awful) but if there's any interest we can start this tomorrow evening.

• Advertisement

I'm still here.

(Mostly)

Sure just tell me your favorite movie poster and we'll crown it the winner :)

Lash 'em up there and I'll tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

There's 4 of us according to the "Thanks"

QBeam, Nitty, DavetheRave, you and me darling of course. Hopefully be a few more later. or we could do it at the alternative?

We'll give it a lash tomorrow evening so :)

Hi folks, gonna give this a bash within the next hour. We'll see if we can get any traction going and if we can have a bit of craic.

If you've seen these tournaments before, you'll know that they're pretty much based on whatever the hell you feel yourself. Each bout will have 2 movie posters going head to head and you simply select your favourite of the pair. You can pick a favorite based off childhood nostalgia, imagery, colour contrast, iconography, plain bad-assness or anything inbetween. There are a few guidelines which I'll set out here;

*All first round draws were made using a random number generator.

*Round 1 matches will last 20 minutes each, with most votes progressing.

*In the event of a tie, reasons given by posters will be used to separate them and choose a winner.

I'm ready coach!

Round 1

Jaws (1975)

VS

Scarface (1983)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Going to judge these solely off of the poster and not the movies themselves, except for when my choices come up, then it's just pure bias.

Jaws - Impending doom, dirty great big shark, the terror beneath. And I had no idea jaws was based off of a book, so that's something new learned.

Advertisement