Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Windscreen cracked

• 30-07-2021 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭

In my 20 years driving I've never had a cracked windscreen but today while driving I noticed a small crack in the upper center of the windscreen. In the 30 minutes it took me to get home it grew from a few inches to nearly 30 inches. I expect by morning it will have reached all the way down to bottom.

So I rang my insurance which automatically routes you to allglass for windscreen issues. Spoke to a disinterested and vague woman who took my details and said we'll call you back. I asked how long and she said well not today or tomorrow anyway, maybe next week. The thing is we're taking a family staycation next Friday and we badly need the car as we won't fit everything in the other smaller car. Tried explaining this to the allglass woman but she just said there's a backlog and we call you at some stage 🤷‍♀️.

I think I see a chip which started the crack but still very frustrating on a 6 month old car. Tried ringing the dealer we bought from on the off chance it might be covered under warranty but they said no as expected.

Does anyone have any idea how long it takes to get a windscreen replaced these days? Is it even safe to drive the car with a big crack in the windscreen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

How long? your insurer covers this, they directed you to allglass, they seem to have said next week, so thats how long, a week.

It'd be preferable to not drive with it, any pictures? but I think the windscreen would disintegrate into tiny pieces rather than fall out and slice someone up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I meant more what are other peoples experience of getting windscreens replaced. The allglass woman was very vague even when we explained the urgency. We'll be ringing them back first thing Tuesday morning anyway but they haven't inspired any confidence that it could be done by Thursday. I'll try attach a pic if I can figure out this new process. This is the start of it at the top of the windscreen. You can see a little chip and the crack stretches from the top about 30 inches down the windscreen towards the center

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭phormium

Do you have to get it done with the supplier they mentioned? I know I had to replace mine a few years ago and my regular tyre guy does windscreens too and he told me I didn't have to go with their supplier and he could do it and claim from them which he did. Now it may not be the same for every insurance company but just check that angle, if you had option of going elsewhere you could probably get it done quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭kirving

Mayke sure that AllGlass use an OEM windscreen, even if you need to pay an excess or push you insurance company for it. That or go to your dealer.

Messier, and potentially beyond the €X00 that your insurance company allocate for a "windscreen" claim, and they'll likely just call in a random fitter to do it. BUT, your car is 6 months old, and if there's any leak or problem afterwards the dealer will sort it on your behalf.

A friend of mine had Skoda fight his corner when replacement screen leaked and wet the interior.

I had a windscreen replaced once on a car and the replacement screen was thinner than the original, the coating wasn't the same, and it flexed more.

Big difficulty in sourcing almost Ll automotive parts at the moment. You're just another person in a long line of people pushing them unfortunately.

Yes very good points. Going to have make phone calls to allglass, dealer and insurer on Tuesday and sort it out. Might just have to accept this isn't going to be resolved quickly if we want it done right. Sure who needs a change of clothes on holidays anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I've had a few screens repaired/replaced over the years and they're always disinterested and vague with dates.

Currently waiting on a wind screen at the minute with a three week lead time. I wouldn't be overly concerned about the crack to be honest and drive it on till you get the call.

I'd say the place you bought the car from had a right laugh when you asked if the windscreen was covered under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

AllGlass only use OEM windscreens https://www.allglass.ie/technical-details/

Its in the insurance company's interest that it is done properly with the right spec and its not as if allglass are some new kid on the block.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Xander10

After years of driving, I had to replace a windscreen for the first time. It was then I discovered that my current insurance did not include free windscreen cover. Maybe worth checking the small print of your policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭kirving

"All automotive glass supplied by Allglass / Autoglass® carries the E2 stamp and is per manufacturer’s standard. Materials used during installation are in accordance with O.E. Specifications."

"Per manufacturers standard" and "In accordance with OEM specifications" is not the same as saying "we only used OEM branded glass direct from the manufacturer".

I've commented on my own experience to help the OP get the right part, not to say Allglass aren't up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Recently requested OEM new screen due to a crack. Took longer, cost more (covered by insurance insurance) but was told by someone in the trade that some of the non OEM glass has fitment and optics issue, but most owners don't notice or care. Always request OEM if an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I never noticed or cared.

I thought the only time it made a difference was if you needed heated windscreen

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There can be a huge difference in quality between OEM and non OEM or spurious windscreens. I've had windscreens replaced with cheaper spurious replacements and you can see the blur or ripple in the glass closer to the edges or lower down the windscreen. Might not bother some people but once I see it I always see it every time.

OEM made windscreens are way more expensive too so many insurance companies may only partially cover the cost if you go OEM so make sure to check with them. Same goes with getting it replaced by a non preferred windscreen replacement company. Insurance companies negotiate discounts off the cost with a preferred replacement company which is why they prefer you to go with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭beachhead

Allglass carry absolute minimum stock.The screen for your car will be ordered specially for your car alone.It will the car manufacturer's glass - "not off the shelf".You could be waiting 7 days from giving them permission to order the glass to driving away with a new windscreen.

Infuriating experience this morning, rang Allglass, they've no record of us calling them on Friday. Had to go through all our details again only to be told that next available appointment is next week when we'll be away. Can only wonder if our call had been handled properly on Friday afternoon would we have gotten an appointment for this week. The woman I spoke to this morning was much more helpful to be fair. The crack has spread down into and across the center console where there is a front facing camera(For collision and speed sign recognition)

The poor customer service continues. Had the appointment for yesterday and just before I left the house got a call from the installer saying he has me down for an appointment but the glass was never ordered. Told me I'd get a call back later in the day with info on when they can actually get the glass. Of course didn't receive a call. Had to complain on their Facebook page and then they called me back to say they can't get the windscreen from their normal suppliers and it has to be gotten through a Peugeot dealer which is more expensive. So they have to wait and get confirmation from our insurer whether it's covered and then if it is it'll take another 3-5 days to order. This is such a painful process

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Had the same issue with them recently, was waiting 5 days for a replacement windscreen. Had to pay €25 excess to "order" the glass from the UK, then another few days waiting before the appointment.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

It's a shame that you can't argue a hire car for windscreen cover, if your policy covers provision of a rental car!

Finally got it replaced this morning after 5 weeks. The installation was quick and from what I can tell it looks a good job. Everything before this morning was easily one of the worst customer service experiences I've ever encountered. Ringing them every 2nd day trying to get information on what the delay was, being repeatedly told we'll look into it and call you back(which they never did). My advice to anyone having to deal with them is just keep ringing and make sure your case is being pushed along, we would definitely be still waiting if we hadn't proactively followed up with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Can you complain to your insurance about your experience? Won't do much for you now but maybe they'll take note of it and if they get more complaints might do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

This is exactly what I had to do, only after emailing them and cc'ing the insurance company about the woeful customer service did they wake up. They then were very on the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It's been a while but a few days, in fairness autoglass were excellent, I recall they'd prioritise for emergency, that is full screen smashed but with every service seemingly impacted with what's gone on the past few months I'd suspect a few days at least. They called to my home, not sure if you could go to them to speed up repair, replacement 🤔

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

The guys who do the actual glasswork are great which you'd expect but they really need to invest in some better customer service systems. The reality is they have an effective monopoly on windscreen and glass repairs so they probably see no need to change anything. I could complain to anyone and everyone about them but it's not as if you're going to shop around. I even rang Peugeot Ireland and asked would they do it instead and they reluctantly said they could but convinced me I'd really be better off with Allglass/Autoglass as they have more experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭gipi

I'm going through the process of replacing a cracked windscreen on a 7 week old hyundai (ouch!) - I have windscreen cover, so am also dealing with allglass.

My delays and general poor customer service was in the initial contact - I phoned on the day it happened (flying stone on the motorway), the person who took the call didn't tell me it would take up to 48 hours to arrange an appointment and didn't take my address. It took 2 more phone calls to sort that out.

Fast forward to this week, I drove to the allglass depot for a replacement fitting. Windscreen sent from UK was the wrong one, and they are unable to calibrate the camera technology on the car themselves (they can with older models, but not mine as yet). In fairness, the guys have put resin into the chip/crack to prevent it from getting worse while I wait.

I am now booked in for a replacement in mid-September. I drop the car at the local hyundai dealer, allglass will travel there, fit the screen, and the hyundai mechanics will calibrate the camera.

Advertisement