Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Laser sights

• 31-07-2021 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Folks, I remember reading some where in the Firearms Act that laser sights where illegal.

I was trying to find the article again for a mate of mine but for the life of me I cannot find it.

Has it changed or can someone point me to the article

Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Offensive weapons act 1990.Restricted not illegal.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If its mounted to a firearm it requires authorisation like a suppressor, etc.

If I remember correctly there is or was (unless something new came in, in the last 6 or so years) no legislation regarding them with the exception of gun mounted stuff (vaguely referred to in the 1990 act). There is loads of talk about 5mw (630 - 680nm) being the legal limit as well only certain colours, but again its nothing I have ever seen in law, not even the firearms acts (all of them). I believe back in 2014 they intended to bring in la regarding shining them at airplanes, helicopters, etc. but I don't know if it happened.

I also know feck all about them (the lasers), but lads refer to IIIa as the "limit" or max, but again nothing in law. I believe Sparks, some years back, tried to get answers from the DoJ about this and was given vague, non commited "answers", but again nothing concrete or in any legislation.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement