Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PHEV or electric car?

• 27-07-2021 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭

Well im debating whether to go with a new electric car or a PHEV?

I have been working from home but from November have been told ill be back in the office 3 days a week which will be based in Dublin City Centre. The missus is pregnant and due in early next year.

Ive had a VW Diesel 1.9 golf for about 8 year now and its been reasonably reliable throughout but mileage is rather high so might be time to change.

My parents always said they wanted to give me money to buy a car should they ever have the finances to do so. Due to an inheritance that is now somewhat the case. However, my mother has advanced cancer and we are hoping to start immunotherapy soon through public hospitals. However, im weary of taking too much off of her in case we need to find some other treatment option that turns out to be very costly.

So on one hand i was thinking if I got 20-25k off the mother and could save up the remainder and get the VW ID4 City which is about 36k from what I understand. This i feel would offer more room which would suit better particularly since we would like to have a second child probably not long after the first arrival. Whilst some dont seem to like the interior of the ID4, I personally quite like it. Also at about 200 miles the range seems pretty good.

However, im doubting if its overkill going electric and Im rather attracted to likes of BMW 330E plugin. I see some from around 2018 but with around 100,000 miles at about 24k.

The plugin battery should give about 30 miles i think but petrol is more expensive than diesel and politics in this country I think dictates that wont change much. Im also wondering at 100k mileage how much would the battery have degraded?

Is the bmw plugin at such mileage likely to be costly to fix? Has anybody much experience with this hybrid?

There are arguments for an against either option but I want to make I dont trap myself into a false economy buying used car that cost me more to fix than buying new for likes of VW ID4.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

I get maximum 18km from my 2016 330e with under 100k miles - you won't get 30 miles out of an F30 version.

In any case, don't take money of your sick mother to buy a car which will be worth half it's value in 3 years time. She won't necessarily get better treatment in a private hospital, but will likely get a nicer room or got to a hospital in an better location. If you don't take that route, spend the money on something she'd like to do like a holiday or once in a lifetime experience if she's able.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 suite16

I’m selling my BMW330e (it’s on Adverts) and sizing up to an ID.4 because I need a bigger bus to transport an oversized musical instrument (top tip - have your kids learn the tin whistle or something portable!). I get 27-31km battery-only range at the moment, but that’s just pottering around locally. It’s a fab car to drive, with epic acceleration when needed to get onto a roundabout or whatever… the ID.4 is also lovely and I’m really looking forward to it, but it’s no BMW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

Keep the Golf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Keep golf or get a 2nd hand octavia or superb for 20k or so. You are stretching to get An expensive electric you cannot afford or replace in years to come. It's not clear why??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Not a high gap between an ID4 city and the second hand Skoda you are recommending especially if you go for PCP, and that’s before you start including maintenance and running costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

the F30 BMW will be a thirsty car once the short battery range is depleted.

I've a G20 version and get about 40-45km out of a charge but fortunately my day to day driving is well within battery range. I did a two week road trip around the south west and south east with no real options to charge and fully loaded with a roof box it was a thirsty car !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

We have a 530e PHEV as a stop gap my wife was not comfortable jumping to a full electric yet. Even though prime candidate for it really!

The last model 330e we originally went looking at we found very small boot wise, we brought a large buggy and suitcase with us to test and couldn't fit both in the boot.

The 530e we could, also the extra space on the backseat for himself and a passenger was an added bonus. We get around 30km on electric highest I've seen was 40km (once).

Once your off electric your towing alot of batteries. Now in fairness for us as a comparison this is still seriously economical. We came from a 3ltr petrol car. Coming from a diesel you might be wondering about your extra petrol station visits with the tiny petrol tank in them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

the 330e has a very small boot ... hence the need for a roof box when we went on a a road trip recently. But in reality it is very rare that we would ever need a large boot anymore .. no buggies or golf clubs !!

our second car was always the one for lugging stuff around including dogs and that used to be a Superb estate but changed that recently for a Leaf 40 ... and the boot is adequate for most stuff including dogs.

In the last 12 months we have gone from having too diesel cars on the driveway to having a PHEV and a BEV and couldn't be happier

The maintenance on my almost 5 year old octavia is 5 services at 150 a time and 2 tyres at 120. Just recently replaced rear at 150 and front due to kerb at 150 which didn't need it. So 1170 which is a small cost and my current fuel cost is 60 a month.

A full cost analysis on usage is required for owner to be honest. The capital cost and interest on an id4 make it expensive. Simple as.

Well for me , it was 10k down, 3k scrappage and then only 230 a month. Which is slightly less than my monthly petrol bill.

+ a saving of 440 a year on motor tax

+ a saving of 500 a year on tolls.

which already covers 4 months repayments. Before my fuel savings.

the Interest would be no different than the another car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Thanks, to be honest its myself thats been reluctant to take any money off of her but she is of the thinking that she might not be around in 6 months or so, even though we are only due to meet an oncologist next week to discuss treatment options. So she would like to be around to see me get the new car. Im also told by the Irish cancer society that if she went private she might not have access to same medication she would have privately. Having said that, if immunotherapy doesnt work publically i would look for any option privately if we thought it would help so finance may or may not then be an issue.

With a child on the way and hopefully another not long after im thinking SUV type vehicle might suit best so perhaps i should steer clear from bmw.

Hard to tell exactly how more expensive diesel is going to become but from what I read hybrid is not suitable for motorway use which would be nearly all my driving.

Id4 is a nice car so if you are all happy go for it. Is the city the entry spec? Generally least favourable option especially for resale value.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭Alkers

What is your typical annual/monthly/weekly mileage? Do you have access to charging in work? Are you a one or two car household? What's the other car if you do have one?

If it's the interest then you are in the circa 40k car market anyway. But if your usual car spend is 15 to 20k it's a big leap. Which car did you buy for 230 a month?? 2500 a year for 5 years is 12500 plus your deposit so 25k spent??? Not an id4 then??

An ID4 on PCP. It’s 40k car, after extras and grant it’s down to 35k, take away scrappage of 3k (on a 06 Touran, ) and now it’s only 32k.

10k deposit , 230 a month for three years ( less than petrol in the Touran) then I’ll probably just get a 2024…

My usual spend on a car is much less, but this will cost less over the life’s time

with regards resale value. VW skipped the usual poverty spec entry level. So the entry level is extremely well specced. so not really an issue ? Where’s as Skoda has stripped everything out if it’s sisters car entry model. Charging down to 50kWh as opposed to 110kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Can you confirm do they take any car for scrappage value and offer €3k

I've Googled it and search vw website but can find nothing on scrappafe deals.

My 06 golf has about 215k miles so wouldn't have thought it be worth much. I've already promised it to the missus for when she learns to drive . However, with the tax being so high it might make more sense if can get more than its worth on a trade in and get her something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Hi Ted1,

We are in a similar situation (high mileage older car) and would be interested in a scrappage offer if i could get a steer in the right direction.

thanks,

quad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

I have a 2016 330e. I can get 28-30km (not miles) off the battery going in and out of town taking her handy. You are 100% though, you'd never get 30 miles out of the battery.

Advertisement