Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCT cancelled my NCT cert. Trying to sell car. No date available for 11 weeks!

Options
  • 29-07-2021 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

So i got a letter to say my NCT has been cancelled on my 2010 car. It was valid until August 2022. An admin error on their side of coarse. They then sent me a letter to say to book early as it could take 28 days. But looking at the website next date is on 14th October. Madness. Am I not allowed to use my car for nearly 3 months or I risk 5 points any time I drive it???

I am trying to sell the car too, so they have practically made my car unsellable for this duration aswell.

So annoyed at them. How can they be so poorly managed like this.

They where able to extend certs last year when it suited them to close shop.

But now they can cause inconvenience like this. As it suits them.

Anyone else get same cancellation letter?

Comments

Yes. Lots of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Try checking at 9.30pm when cancelled tests are returned to the booking pool or else call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

34000 people in the same boat.

I think it's ridiculous that the NCT are essentially allowed to wash their hands of this and throw it back onto the owners. Each cancellation should have come with a priority appointment slot for people like the OP who find themselves 'off the road' through no fault of their own and unable to get test dates for months.

Also, they say new owners will be give a free test, why isn't everyone being given a free test?

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭con747

I don't see why there is a need to retest the vehicles in question, they passed the test so surely sending out the amended certs should suffice. I am sure there is some computer say's no explanation as to why not though. 🙄

Post edited by con747 on

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JCN12

At a guess, I would say it's more than 1 year since the OP got the car tested, with the vehicle in question being over 10 years old. So the amended certificate would be outdated anyway.

OP - Cancellation tests are plentiful. Keep checking and the right slot will open up for you in one of the nearby test centres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

Yeah I got this dreaded letter as well 🙄

I rang the number that was included on the letter sent out, and they booked me in themselves with a 'priority' booking. Might be worth chancing yourself.

Such a nonsense mistake that they made as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

I sold my car on that basis and now buyer thinks I did it on purpose. Have told her to enjoy her car. Of course, a friend in the trade thinks she should be getting a discount from me. She can jog on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,526 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

So we are all "incorrectly" given two year cert's last year, and these have now been replaced with one yer certs, so my expiry date has gone from Sept 2022, to September 2021 and instead of having 14 months left on the cert, i now have just under two months, other will might find they only have days left, or the "corrected" cert has now expired.

It's no real hasstle for me, am not selling the car..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,923 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Disgraceful, does this mean you technically have no current cert? Appalling people put in this position, especially trying to explain to a garda at a checkpoint. I'd have thought at the very least those affected would be on a priority list.

I've always found the fastest way to get a booking is calling early, they put you on a cancellation list, I've done this over the past two years and got an appointment within a week, so worth a try 🤔

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

if you book online late at night there's usually cancellations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

If they cant provide you a test within a month at the test center or your choice its free, Its in their terms and conditions .

Ring them up, and state this and suddenly you will et offered a test sooner .

That said i did my nct 2 weeks ago . Booked it online on friday , Did it tuesday morning first thing and failed , Retest Thursday night . No issues in getting a time and date

Advertisement