Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help me decide.....or talk me out of it!

Options
  • 29-07-2021 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Hi All,

Would very much appreciate your feedback on 2 cars that I'm trying to decide between at the moment. Both would be new. I'm lucky enough and grateful that I can afford either but obviously I'd prefer to spend the min amount possible.

1. BMW 330i M-Sport Pro Edition. Portimao Blue. Very highly specced car - Host of extras such as heads-up display, adaptive suspension, differential, blacked out chrome pack and so on. VRT as a result has pushed the price up considerably.
    2. Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce - Missano Blue. Not really much extras, just the 'basic' Veloce package. Car is considerably cheaper than the above.

I'd be coming from a 2018 G30 530i M-Sport. Fine car but too big for my needs hence the itch the change.

I'd don't have the means to charge at home so any sort of PHEV is not an option. I value the looks of a car and driving experience over all else.

I'd be leaning towards the Alfa but the 330i is way better specced albeit more expensive. The BMW would probably hold its value a bit better than the Alfa and then there is tiny Alfa dealer network here in Ireland. I know both will depreciate fast either way.

I've researched the Giulia's reliability record since it came out in 2017 and they are no worse than any of the German brands. Any of the Giulia owners I've spoken to online - none have regretted their purchase.

Which one would you go for if you had to choose? Am I barking mad? :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Tough choice. I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer. I would have more worries with moving on the Alfa in a few years though. However if the cost now is a good bit cheaper than the BMW that may outweigh any residual worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Life is too short to spend a heap to buy another, smaller version of your G30.

Buy the Alfa and live a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Head would say BMW.

Heart would say Alfa?

I think sometimes as important as the car is the dealer, and how you are treated if there is a problem with the car. This maybe should be a factor?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Definitely the Alfa for me. They are rare so maybe in a few years they will have appreciated in value not depreciated. Too many BMWs around now and they are just boring now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

An Alfa Romeo that appreciates 🤣

in the land of Unicorns perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I presume we talking about 280hp version Alfa here? If yes, then I would go with Alfa. They look so nice and be definitely a rarer car on the road.

New 3 series is really nice looking car too, by the looks of it in great spec, but you see them everywhere. 330i will definitely keep its value better, but even then, there are so many 3 series sold, that it will push price down. Rare Alfa like that might keep value pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

Yes it would be the 280bhp version. My thinking is the Alfa too. As highly speced as the 330i is, at the end of the day it will look like every other 320d out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭NiceFella

Buy both to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Neighbour has that Alfa. And in that blue. It's a gorgeous car. It's got styling that no other car has.

Winner for me over any BMW every day of the week.

BMWs are so ubiquitous this stage as to be mundane.

Advertisement