Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Joe Canning retiring from Inter county Hurling

• 28-07-2021 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

BREAKING: Galway star Joe Canning has retired from intercounty hurling.

Canning informed media at a press event in the last few minutes, citing injuries. He had informed team mates of his decision in the wake of their defeat to Waterford.

https://twitter.com/depboyle/status/1420349293777629186

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

His point in injury time versus Tipp in 2017 was one of the best ever

Was privileged to witness him playing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

An all time great. Will be disappointed with only one all Ireland though. But what a career he has had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭C__MC

All time great

His goal v kk in 2012 think it was the drawn game was magic

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Butson

One of the greatest hurlers ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Best of luck to him, gave everything to his county and im sure will continue to do so for his club. 1st of the group to emerge in 2007-08 to retire with TJ, Richie Hogan, Horgan and Callanan still involved right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

He won't go down as the greatest of all time due to lack of Senior All Irelands compared to other greats, but he's the best player to ever play the game, and there's absolutely nothing you could say to convince me otherwise. No show like a Joe show.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

One of the all time greats for both club and County

From a Waterford perspective we beat him many times in the Championship but he got the big one at our expense in 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭kksaints

Fantastic hurler. Gave us many a hard time especially in the three matches in 2012. At least he got a well deserved All Ireland in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,563 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Best hurler I have ever seen. Even though great players don't always make great managers, I hope he goes into management - I think he has the brains and ruthlessness for it. End of an era.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭limerickabroad

Best of luck to him, and truly the end of an era . . . I would have thought he might have had one or two more years, but not to be . . .

My abiding memory of him will be going down to the local field in rural west Limerick in 2011, and watching every child in the place trying to do the reverse handpass off the hurley, after he had sold John Gardiner a beauty in the GG the previous week. Was such a glorious thing to see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Wonderful hurler.

An all time great and always appeared to be a exceptionally nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

Great hurler but more importantly for me a great entertainer on the field with some of his brilliant touches

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

I honestly think he is the most naturally talented hurler I've ever seen play.

The guy started with the minors when he was 15. I remember seeing him cut sidelines over the bar when he was still playing minor.

His ability to slip his opponent a dummy with slight of hand was always mesmerising... he'd make a motion as if he was throwing the ball out in front for a solo and it'd be gone underarm and laid off to his teammate... always so fluid.

A true genius, he'll be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭cson

This news hit hard enough! I grew up playing with Joe and he gave us some phenomenal days out for Portumna and Galway. The reason I joined Boards in fact was to call out some clowns on here after Loughrea had kicked the shite out of him as a 17 year old in the 2006 county final. No doubt in my mind the 'attention' he's gotten throughout his career has knocked a year or two off it, not worth it as an amateur.

An absolute joy to watch and he achieved everything in the game, his scoring record and sideline cut record will be hard bet.

As big a profile as he got, always there for the club too - one of the great things about the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Very surprised by this, I thought he had a few years left. One of the best hurlers I ever saw, brilliant natural ability. A huge loss to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I was in the stand on that side and saw it happen and it was unbelievable! Dunno how my dad missed it when he was beside me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Wish him all the best in his retirement, he was the best hurler I had the pleasure to watch and always looked forward to seeing him play. He set a great example to the youngsters how the game should be played, never any dirty play and sporting in defeat.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

A great club and inter county hurler.

Saw him score the miracle point.

Saw him limping off injured with a hamstring strain and clip over a sideline on the way to the bench in a Fitz game.

For anyone who thinks he has only one senior All-Ireland, think again.

We live in a time of truly exceptional players and Canning, in his prime, is up there with the best of the best forwards for me.

He is in the conversation with DJ, Eoin Kelly, Shefflin, and Callanan.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Robert2014

One of the very best. I think when he started inter-county he had 2 of the best performances ever vs. Cork and Waterford but was let down by others. Then everyone expected him to deliver these performances every day. Finally got there in 2017 after taking the team over the line in the semi-final with Tipp. Would have thought that maybe he could be used as a super-sub role if he wanted to stay involved. Imagine the lift the team and supporters would get to him to come in with 20 minutes to go but may be he didn't want that.

Good luck to him in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I can still see him standing on the pitch with the Keadys, as the cup was being presented, on the day of THAT All Ireland, (2017) a beautiful gesture, and a real touch of class.

I wish him every good wish for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭sergioaguero

one of the best ever, still not as good as DJ though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,988 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

One of the best I have ever seen, and certainly the most talented.

I know it's natural to draw comparisons with TJ given their careers intersect, but for me Joe wins that debate hands down. Scored some of the most outrageous scores ever seen in the game, is the best sideline cut taker of all-time, and in the top echelon of free-takers ever too. His highlight reel is insane. Had some pressure on his shoulders too considering he was THE marquee player for Galway for many years when some of his contemporaries would have had a better supporting cast.

Would love to see him win a few more county titles again.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭westcork67

The best - the fact he was with some average Galway hurling teams, and then an underperforming one, in no way takes from the fact that he is the most talented hurler ever. Eoin Kelly, DJ , Shefflin and TJ are the modern greats for me but Joe tops the lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Best player I've ever seen, a level above the rest. If GAA was a worldwide sport, he would of been our only truly world class player.

Guys like Shefflin are some of the best hurlers ever, for a relative comparison with football, would have the like of Shefflin as someone like Zidane. Canning would be that level better, the Cruyff or Maradona level. Just a special player.

Simply put, does things other players cant. Some of the stuff he pulled off defied physics

• Registered Users Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭threeball

Agree. The goal he scored v KK a few years back where he caught a sliothar hit 80yards on the pivot and stuck it in the net from a ridiculous angle was just outrageous. Best score I've seen in any code. Due to poor camera angles it doesn't get the recognition it deserved as I doubt I'll ever see a better score.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Top 3 best ever no doubt. All the best for the future

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

The only player that made a hand pass that's still talked about a decade later. An absolute joy to watch from a very early age.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭cson

The sideline cuts too - I reckon the only reason they did away with the 2pt trial was that Galway would have had an unfair advantage with him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Thanks for all the entertainment over the years & best of luck to him & his family in whatever he chooses to do. He more than earned the right to call it a day. Class thru & thru

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

Advertisement