Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant notifications & Only one AH page

• 28-07-2021 9:36am

I continue to receive pop up notifications from everything from soccer access to lego. My notifications and pop ups are all turned off.

Also there is only page 1 of After Hours.

This is on the mobile site.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,278 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

@and in the morning Diamonds of Frost I get the same notifications, it's a bug from the last failed update. It's driving me mad!

Page numbers appeared in AH yesterday evening at the bottom of each page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I am constantly getting popups of threads i have never seen before... i turned of all popups in notifications and they are still there.... help please

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

So I would take it that Boards are developing and testing on the live site? Wow. Interesting. What harm could that bring :)

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Hi guys, there is an issue with some notifications which should hopefully be resolved pretty easily. I'll ask for this to be looked at asap tomorrow, sorry about all the notifications.

The pagination should be back on After Hours - are you on mobile or desktop?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Morning everyone,

Sorry for the hassle of being inundated with notifications. You should have some more control over notifications from categories now from your Notification Preferences page: https://www.boards.ie/profile/preferences . We will have to investigate further to make this more granular, but hopefully this will start cutting down on the number of (unwanted) notifications you receive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

@Boards.ie: Mark In relation to the notifications from the rs talk to forum - on the old boards I was following that forum and had posted on one thread that I had created, but on the new boards I'm not following the rs forum at all and have not interacted whatsoever since the change over, however l am currently receiving notification from any post made on that forum. In effect there is no applicable box for me to untick on the above linked preferences page. (iOS mobile browser btw)

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi @pleasant Co. , could you try using the above link or navigating to Edit Profile Notification Preferences. You should see a heading for Category Notifications and a list of forums beneath with checkboxes associated with them. You may have to scroll to the right to alter your preferences regarding comments, but hopefully you will be able to unset richersounds.ie notifications now.

Please let me know if you have any further issues or can't see this section.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I think the biggest issue - which doesn't seem to be covered in the above - is that a notification is received for every post in a thread I'm following. On old boards, it'd be one notification that a thread had a new post, no matter how many new posts there were.

The result is I log in, see 99+ notifications, most in the soccer access thread which I can't unsubscribe from, so I just delete them all and log off again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Hi @Boards.ie: Mark , thanks so much, it's there now so have deselected the rs forum from my notifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You can now fix the problem of unwanted notifications.

Click the bell ('Notifications') icon in the upper right corner of the screen. This will reveal a popup panel callled 'Notifications', click the three lines icon ('Notification Preferences') in the upper right corner. Then scroll down to 'Category Notifications' where you will see options to stop notifications for various fora.

When you've set your preferences, scroll to the bottom and click the 'Save Preferences' button.

• Advertisement

The problem is that if you post in a thread, that doesn't subscribe you to it.

So I've set my notifications to ping every time a thread I've posted in gets a reply - like on the old site, except then it was one ping per thread; now it's one per post. The alternative is I post in a thread and then forget it ever existed.

And I can't unsubscribe from individual threads that way.

The whole thing does seem like quite a big mess unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,278 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I've managed to stop my notifications too.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

If you bookmark a thread you won't be notified every time there is a new post (or for any new post) but will see the thread in My Bookmarks or in My Threads on the homepage.

Ok - but on the old site, posting in it automatically bookmarked it, and prompted you when there was a response in the thread. Is that functionality now not going to be there? Because what you're describing, while an approximation, is extra clicks for less functionality.

I think it's one of the most important things that's missing at the moment - ease of seeing what you've posted in and what's been replied to. Without that, posts are going to drop off a lot. I almost missed your reply for example because the notification had already dropped half way down my notifications list.

Ah lads - if you click into one of your notifications on mobile, they all get marked as read!

Meanwhile on desktop you have to click into every notification individually to mark them as read, even if they're on the same thread!

Honestly, to have such fundamental issues 2-3 weeks after the migration is an absolute clusterfuck. I was willing to give the new layout time to grow on me and to be improved, but it's still unusable and ye're still not fixing the basic stuff.

Advertisement