Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Replacement Tractor (small dairy farm)

Options
  • 25-07-2021 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

We are many years overdue a tractor upgrade and it's time to get something, bad timing given prices recently.

Was thinking a case 4230 or 4240, seem to be well priced and we were case previous and good few with loaders about which would be handy.

Any other recommendations, 90 - 110 hp, 2wd or 4wd, loader and lifting 2 silage bales at rear would be nice exta.

Mainly topping, fertilizer, rolling, reseeding, drawing bales. budget approx 15k

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

Massey Ferguson 398, Landini 9880, New Holland 7740. It could take 16 or 17k to get a good one with a good loader too. The New Holland could be up on 20k.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Madisonmenece

Ya clean 7740/7840 would be great but the money being asked is crazy.

Was quoted 18k for a clean 7910 the other day, that's a machine near 35 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Unfortunately I would say the budget is €10k light for any clean stockman tractor with a few modern creature comforts. We have a 20 year old tl90 here, 4500 hours, quicke loader, manual shuttle. A dealer rang me the other day saying that he had a customer mad for a tractor like it and would I sell it to him straight, not trading against anything. He offered me €23k as an opening gambit. He would sell and turn a profit himself too. The tractor is not for sale though.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

No chance of the Case 4240 lifting 2 bales on the rear. The drop arms on them are only fit for 50hp tractor IMO. If you could pick up something with a hydraulic shuttle it would make a much nicer loader tractor. The later Case 5100 series, Valmet 8050 Hitech JD 6110 would all be better options I think but will have trouble picking up something with a loader at that price range.

What about a MF 50HX of similar if you want a loader and just hang onto whatever tractor you have ATM?

• Advertisement

We have an industrial loader already , the loader on the tractor would just be a nice to have.

To be honest a cab with all the glass would be an upgrade on the thing we have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

He just called you up out of the blue asking would you sell your tractor? That's bizarre!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

I’d forget about the loader altogether at your budget, if it’s only going to be nice to have. You’ll probably find it difficult enough to get a decent tractor without a loader at that money. Furthermore, a tractor without a loader will generally have less wear, especially on the front axle and steering components. The option to fit a loader further down the line will always be there….

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

He had been in the yard about 9 months previously trying to do a deal on a new tractor. At that point I was thinking of trading the tl90 in. I actually bought off a different dealer on a straight deal and kept the tl as a 2nd tractor because our farm is in 3 pieces with two of them 8 miles apart. It leaves it very handy to have a tractor on each of the two larger blocks at times.

He was offering €20k on a trade in and that had changed to €23k I suppose about 9 months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

OP 15k is leaving you on a very tight budget.tractirs are gone up 20-30% in the last 12 months. You will really struggle to get anything clean even without a loader. Below are two fairly similar tractors. First is a Case 4240 it has no shuttle priced fairly compeditive in present market at 13.5k. I think they are about 100hp but it down to the turbo on them. The second is a Case CX 80 would be a lower HP but everything else virtually the same but 17k but you have a fresher tractor with a shuttle.

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/case-4240/28526313

neither have a loader, neither will lift two bales at the back but both are nice tractors at yard work

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭endainoz

Something like this might suit OP, though I own one myself so I'm probably a bit biased. Can confirm it'll lift two bales no bother though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

£16,700+VAT

£18,250+VAT

What are these Claas machines like? For the price they look okay. One has a just over 7k hours, but they look well maintain from a distance.

Some good options there, what are zetors like these days.

This is on for 17.5k no vat, won't lift 2 bales but ticks most other boxes. I could prob increase the budget to 30k but would rather spend the money on other things. 20-30% increase is crazy

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/1995-case-4230-c-w-trima-joystick-loader/28682131

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭minerleague

You would think " rising tide lifts all boats " but dealers dont offer too much when you try to trade in your older tractor. Have MF390 and not been offered anything like what they are supposed to be making. Are people buying at prices quoted or is it just to try and make new look reasonable?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

What about a mf 3o95 dynashift should come in close on budget and nice cab

While the photos are not great and it is not spruced up, it may be as good value that you will get for or near your budget. It one of the rare 4230 models with a shuttle. It has a tidy enough loader. Hours are modest if genuine. They are a good all around tractor. Seat looks in VGC

Front tyres are worn, a bit left on rear tyres. I do not think that the seat is the original seat. Rear end will need a bit of tidying. Inside of tractor looks a bit off for a 5k hours tractor. AFAIK the digital dash on them often gave trouble and some were replaced.

I get it well checked out if interested

Slava Ukrainii

Most dealers are only moving older tractors on for export. They allow you the export price or maybe 80-90% of it. Much easier than trying to do up and turn a few bob on a lot of them Massey's

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭cute geoge

The problem it seems with the case 4230 is it was a variable tractor .Some of them were great tractors and more of them were lemons .Can anyone here tell why was this difference .were the high roof ones better?

All in all the mf 390t has a far superior reputation .Keep an eye on donedeal for example for 390t with the shuttle from 1994 on .A good one will see you out bottom of doors might need to be patched but rest of them are fairly rust proof double lift pump not that you might ever need it .you would end up paying 20 k for a 390t c/w loader in garage `like said a garage will only give small money for them as a trade in probably so that is why you will get a few coming up in dd privately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Jb1989

The poster 'minerleague' may have a nice 390t for sale. Pm him.

I think it was the way they were treated rather than that any if them were lemons. They had to be serviced and the right oil used. It seems they were unforgiving that way. I think lads using universal tractor oil for servicing and hydraulic's was an issue. While they had more HP than a 390 the lift was not as strong so would not take the same digging a 390 would.

Another factor was the splitter switch was virtually a lot of lads first introduction to electronics on a tractor. If anything went wrong with it when they first came out it was an expensive fix.

When you are trying to pick up a tractor of that vintage I would be looking for something straight and clean rather than a specific tractor.

Know a two lads that have bought 390's that have had serious trouble from them. Both are shuttle models.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

I had to move up the budget as it was poor pickings for what I wanted , I have an offer accepted on this subject to inspection, any standout issues for people with TS series?

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/new-holland-ts110/28653138?campaign=3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Good luck and I hope it does your job.

Ad is down, did you get a loader with it?

Not for that money. It looked value without the loader. Look at hoe clean the sheds were . That tractor was looked after and I say had done no serious work on that farm.

Admittedly adding a little after to it will cost. It might be well worth the when he dose it to bite the bullet and put a new loader on it. Other choice is watch for brackets and get a new loader on.

Slava Ukrainii

I didn't see the ad so apart from it being a TS110 I'm not sure what shape it was in or price. Buying a second hand tractor without a loader can be a better option as some can be worked hard with a loader and have associated problems to fix.

There was a bit of change of plan, I still ended up with a TS110 but one from the north. It has a front linkage and just seemed a more original tractor.

Add is down so can't share the link.

Have to go through the VRT/process now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

Well wear! 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭hotrodder

Where up north did u purchase

• Advertisement

Newtownabbey, Antrim. To be fair I agreed a price as long as it is as what discussed ( everything working, no mechanical faults, no body/cab faults, wear acceptable to hours)

I paid a holding deposit. And'm looking at it tomorrow, and as long as all stacks up I'll be taking it if not it will be staying there.

Advertisement