Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Scenic or Skoda Superb

• 27-07-2021 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi all, just looking for some advice and guidance!

We're expecting baby no3 and need to fit three car seats in the back.

I have a 2015 1.6 diesel Octavia estate and wife has 2019 1.0 petrol T-Roc. Due to budget (4-5k on top of a trade in) we're looking at a 2016 2l diesel Superb estate if I trade in the Octavia or 2019/20 1.5l petrol Scenic/Grand Scenic if the T-Roc is traded in. We can't decide which is the better buy, best value, most reliable etc.

Would love to hear your thoughts from experience etc.

We would love a Peugeot 5008 but petrol versions are like hens' teeth.

Also we can't find a suitable hybrid in our price range. .. 15-16k if I trade in the Octavia or 24k if wife trades in T-Roc.

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Doug.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You won't fit 3 individual child seats in the back of a Superb as its' not wide enough. Cars like the Scenic and 5008 are designed with 3 individual seats in the middle row whereas cars like the Superb have a rear bench type seat that can hold a seat at each side but you won't fit a middle seat with the other 2 there.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doug Stamper

Thanks bazz26, we just presumed we could as a neighbour had one! We will have to look into that. Thanks a mill.

Any idea of the reliability of Renault's and Peugeot petrols??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

My wife owned a Renault Scenic before changing to a Skoda Superb. We didn't need three seats in the rear so can't comment on that.

The Scenic was a 2011 and had a few problems, though nothing mechanical. The air conditioning needed work on a couple of occasions, we had water ingress due to a blocked scuttle drain, and a few other small niggles. The engine and gearbox are pretty bombproof (1.5 DCI), can't comment on the petrol versions.

It is a very versatile and practical car, if not the sexiest choice. As a family wagon they are hard to beat.

Thanks Stalingrad - that's good to hear: versatility and practicality are what we need... Just want to make sure we're not investing in a total disaster with relation to reliability (I've no clue with regards engines etc).

Scenic might be the way to go for now, maybe a superb next time 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭kindalen

Someone usually mentions the Multimac. No experience of them myself.

Pricey, but might be an option for you. Possibly keep your present car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

It wont be a disaster, Renaults are far better now than they were pre 2008. If you do get one it would be worth Googling the scuttle drain issue. There is a narrow tube that gets blocked but it is an easy fix. In our case it was a seats out job and a lot of drying out, with the subsequent risk of electrical mayhem.

Do you have a link to the car in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

As noted before if it's the 1.5dci engine it really is bulletproof. A miser on fuel as well. I'd have no qualms about buying one as fresh as the one you're looking at.

Thanks for the link kindalen. Bit pricey all right and I think we'll need the space in time so would only be delaying the inevitable!!

Thanks again Stalingrad. I will look up that scuttle drain issue. We're looking for one like this

Thanks mfceiling... The dci engines sound great but unfortunately we won't do the mileage for a diesel. Pity.

Advertisement