Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Comments

Murray and Salisbury beat the second seeds in the doubles (mahut and herbert)

That was not expected.

Maybe he could have a good chance of getting a medal there

Would be a decent story.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Disaster from Barty, some wild misses in those last two games. Maybe a bit of a post Wimbledon hangover?

Murray's pulled out of singles to focus on the doubles. Makes sense I guess, decent chance of medaling whilst he wouldn't have a hope in the singles.

Barty seems like an authentic decent soul in general. Wouldn't have minded seeing her derail the Osaka hype train.

Pity about the lack of consistency.

So is Osaka going to do questions in the mix zone with journalists?

Probably as much focus on that as the tennis given the situation she has managed to create.

I predict a couple of favoured "plant" questions from people who won't ask anything outside the desired narrative range.

But after her match, Osaka was shepherded through the mixed zone where reporters are stationed as athletes come off the court. After two questions each from the wire services, from English-speaking media and from Japanese media, International Tennis Federation press officials rushed her away.

seems like EXACTLY that was the approach taken!

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2021/07/25/2021-olympics-naomi-osaka-returns-tennis-dominant-victory/8085474002/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

Djokovic past Struff in straight sets, Davidovich next.

Still on course for Djokovic-Zverev and Medvedev-Tsitsipas semis if nobody slips up beforehand.

In other news, my son is taking part in his first 125k event today; very nervous in case there are TV cameras.

He's a ball boy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Interesting view on Djokovic holding court in the Olympic Village in the Guardian

Tennis may be a minority sport in the greater scheme of things but its interesting to see how other 'real' sports people see its main protagonists

The man is the Usuain Bolt of tennis!

I guess that actual athletes who compete at a high level can have a real appreciation for the man and his skill, physical fortitude and particularly of course as alluded to in the article -> his mental prowess and how he's still at the top of the game at 34 and kicking ass, furthermore in with a good shot of an amazing achievement this year.

They are probably not fretting why the "next gen" haven't beaten him or why he might need to take a piss in-between sets and are more interested in his insights of how the hell he does it.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Good to see someone likes him anyway 😛

Curious to see him say he's spending as much time out of his hotel room as possible. Not intended as criticism or anything, but I'd have thought most would've been trying to reduce their contacts as much as possible. One positive test and you're out of the games, although maybe not as big a deal for a tennis player when the Olympics is a nice bonus/cherry on top as opposed to the pinnacle of the sport.

Mixed doubles draw

No idea how you'd decide who's the favourite for this, or which teams have even played together before. List might change a bit too, deadline is 3am Tuesday morning our time.

Looking ahead, it's extremely disappointing to see all the medal matches are on 12pm Tokyo time, or 4am our time. Like... why? Who does that suit? Still very early in the day for Japan, terrible for Europe, not great for America. And surely the players themselves would want to avoid the heat and humidity? Strange decision.

Tokyo is 8 hours ahead of Ireland in time currently (as opposed to 16 hours as per calcs above - 12pm to 4am)

So 4am Irish time is 8pm Tokyo time.

Schedule for medal matches is

• Saturday 31 July (from 4am) – Men’s singles, women’s singles, women’s doubles and mixed doubles bronze medal matches; women’s singles gold medal match
    • Sunday 1 August (from 4am) – Men’s singles, women’s doubles and mixed doubles gold medal match

So not sure if the doubles are played first and the singles could be on later ("from 4am") i.e. more or closer to morning time in Ireland

• Advertisement

If they're 8 hours ahead wouldn't 4am our time be 12pm their time, like I've posted above? 😛

duh yes - they're ahead lol, not behind!!!

I brain-farted on that bit on the hours difference :)

you're right on the times there then of course

but hopefully matches will be on closer to morning - surely the more important matches will be on later? e.g. play doubles first then singles - at least that would "seem" logical

would seriously be strange if they played the singles first

who knows how these decisions are made and who makes them - down to local organisers, tv markets, Olympic org etc etc and in consideration with what other big events are on those days - once the track and field kicks off most other stuff takes a back seat in terms of importance

some of the tennis players were calling for matches to be on when it's cooler

Ah yes, I didn't take into account finals/bronze medal matches being played on the same day. I'd imagine on the last day they'll probably opt for Women's doubles final - Men's final - Mixed doubles final. They won't put the men's final on last in case it runs late. Djokovoc or Tsitsipas could potentially have to play singles/mixed doubles finals back to back.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

Osaka is out, losing 6-1 6-4 to Market Vondrousova, who reached the 2019 French Open final. Vondrousova had been injured for a long time, and there was some controversy when she used her protected ranking to make the Czech team* ahesad of the in-form Karolina Muchova. Not so controversial now. I didn't see the match, but reading about it on another forum, it seems Vondrousova was by far the better player.

*The other Czech women in the singles are Krejickova, Pliskova, and Kvitova (out). You have to be really, really good to make that team.

Boom.

Osaka flames out to the world number 42.

(Vondrousova was injured mid-2019 until end of that season so 6 months but returned full time Jan 2020 so has been back for the last year and a half full time, albeit less tournaments due to pandemic)

Did she answer any questions after or scuttle off flanked by officials?

Bit of a backfire for Japan in the end picking her for the torch.

They were hoping for a Sydney 2000 Cathy Freeman type scenario but didn't do their research on the flakiness of women's tennis.

They have had a decent start to the Olympics with real Japanese athletes getting gold, which has helped turn the tide of local opinion a bit as a lot of the local population were against the Olympics at the time of kick-off and with big Japanese firms like Toyota pulling their logos out as a result to appeal to same population despite having paid heavily for the privilege of sponsorship.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

She wanted to get out of Dodge ASAP, but the Japanese Tennis Federation "reminded" her of her obligations to answer a couple of questions in the mixed zone.

All of her own making

A real millstone around her neck for the rest of her career.

"After the match, organizers said that Osaka left the venue and would not be talking to the media, the Associated Press reported.

But she returned briefly and was asked about whether her recent break from tennis or the hot, humid weather factored into Tuesday's outcome.

"I would say that everyone played in the same conditions, so it didn’t really matter that much," Osaka said."

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Doing press conferences when she wins but not when she loses.

You'd reprimand your children for that kind of bad loser behaviour.

Her father said he simply followed the Richard Williams template for Osaka's career path.

She was definitely paying attention for the petulance module.

Delighted Osaka lost tbh, would've been a bad look her rocking up to Tokyo as a part time player and taking the title. Hopefully she'll commit to playing a few more matches now.

Whisper it quietly, but Muguruza should be the favourite to win it all now 😶

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,511 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Osaka will now have more time to concentrate on more important things than the Olympics like the upcoming Met Gala.

Simone Biles taking a leaf out of the Osaka playbook today too.

Post edited by MisterAnarchy on

• Registered Users Posts: 31,808 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Big win for Liam Broady today over Hubert Hurkacz...especially considering how late he was called up

Djokovic through, faces Nishikori next. Tsitsipas out.

Murray's doubles exit in Tokyo only made it to the sports footnotes; pity, they were playing well and it would have been nice to finish his career on a high note.

Meanwhile in Belgrade, Pliskova is on court against Gracheva this morning.

Post edited by josip on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,511 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It was a tough route for Murray but they did well.

At 34 and his hip problem has he much more left in the tank you'd wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

When Osaka first came on the scene she seemed to be a really humble player who just just got on with the game and let her play do the talking, in the last year or so, she certainly has shown a real petulant side, almost as if she feels she needs to fill Serena's drama Queen boots, looks like she's being badly advised and has created the media circus herself.

The women's tournament is as unpredictable as ever, any of the 4 could win it, while the men's is going pretty much as expected, Novak sailing through to what looks like an inevitable Gold; Zverev looks the main danger (that's if he gets past Chardy, no guarantee), Medvedev looks to be struggling with the conditions.

"Badly advised" is certainly I think what's happening here. See, I still think she's a good decent person, something that couldn't be said about Serena, but I think Osaka is probably now surrounded by lots of people who all want a piece of the pie. I've gone off her, but I don't think she's beyond reach just yet. But when she's being surround by yes men and is actively cheerled by the media as some kind of paragon of strength in the face of adversity, it's difficult to see how she might pull it back.

Anyway, anarchy on the women's side as usual. I thought perhaps Muguruza could take advantage but not to be. At the very least three of the four are seeded, and neither one would be a terrible winner. If I had to pick I guess I'd go for Bencic or Rybakina. Bencic is talented but I'm not sure she'll ever fulfil the early promise her career showed. Rybakina would be a nice 'random' winner I guess after having her 2020 momentum destroyed by the pandemic. Plus I can't imagine Kazakhstan win too many gold medals either?

Men's largely going to form except perhaps for Tsitsipas losing. Can't see Djokovic losing bar maybe an inspired Nishikori taking him out? Japan having a very good games so far, but the home advantage for Kei would be somewhat nullified by no crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I think you're not far off the mark with Osaka, her "advisors" looking for her to fill the gap left by Serena, but, 2 completely different characters. Serena was her own woman, did things her way whether people liked it or not and used the media for her own needs. Osaka seems a much more timid character with her entourage trying to mould her into something she's not.

I think it's expecting a lot to expect Nishikori to take Djokovic out, but, the fact there's no crowds probably gives him a slightly better chance (still very slim), as Djokovic seems to thrive even more when the crowd is against him.

Think that Osaka's main "advisers" seem to be her sister and her father - not sure about a shadowy pack of yes men in the background although no doubt there are agents etc there of course

trying to make a "brand" about being some sort of victim and playing it up to the media is puke-inducing in my book. basically leveraging race aspects make it even worse.

Meanwhile Goatovic has spanked Nishikori and surely will face Zverev who seems to be motoring through the draw to this point well

Zverev is probably the only one left who stands a chance of taking out Djokovic, particularly over 3 sets. He seems much better mentally these days and will be up for the scalp. Obviously Djokovic is the heavy favourite but you never know. If he wins anyway the gold is in the bag, somehow I can't see Khachanov or PCB pushing him very hard over 5 sets.

Reasonably happy with the women's final, well as long as Bencic wins it now. A nice career bonus for whoever wins given neither will likely win a slam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭tiegan

Has anyone been able to watch the tennis with a commentary? I have been watching on eurosport, and there seems to be no commentary on the tennis at all!!

Advertisement