Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Question re. Garden Shed tilting.

• 27-07-2021 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Apologies firstly if this is the wrong forum (Mods please feel to move if so).

We had a new garden shed installed a few years ago when remodeling our back garden. The shed was placed into an area of patio and had (from what I remember) proper foundations etc. It started to lean to one side/quarter last year, which makes it incredibly difficult to open the door as it is catching on the patio. To clarify, there's nothing of any significant weight in the shed at all. We contacted the manufacturers who said they'd come and fix it when COVID ended etc. Unfortunately it appears they have now folded so I can't get them to straighten/fix this.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Is it a major job? Or could I do it myself? If so, how would I go about it?

The pics attached should hopefully illustrate the issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The tilt is on the left hand side - the middle pic shows this.

The first pic shows the door.

The last pic shows the height of the right hand side of the shed. When you compare to the left hand side you can see how much higher it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A 3m long pry bar to lift the left side enough to wedge something under it then push a fillet of mortar under it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Is the shed just sitting on gravel?

That what it looks like in which case the shed could be sinking into the gravel even if solid base below gravel.

Thanks for your reply.

There were definitely cement blocks/bricks (apologies for the lack of proper terminology!) put down before the shed was put down on top of them. I'm not sure of the configuration but there was. The gravel/stone is just decorative and was put down afterwards. There is also a foundation beneath.

Where would one get a 3m long pry bar - sorry for the stupid question but I'm clueless on these things! B&Q? Builder's Providers?

I did think of that type of thing but was worried I'd damage the shed doing so?

Would it be as simple/difficult as getting a few mates to lift it, place some wood under the frame on the tilted side and then lay it down on said timber?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Might be worth digging out the gravel a bit on the sunken side to try see the footing and why it has sunk, is it actually a solid base.

If you empty it out should be able to tip/lift it up handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

I use my car jack to lift shed and put tiles under the corners and middle, this has saved my shed slowly sinking into garden, have had to do this twice now.

Just don't leave any body parts under shed at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Timber wont last long and will rot or be eaten by wood lice. A long length of 4x4 working off a length of 2x4 screwed horizontally to the end of the shed temporarily 20cm up from the base might work, with a suitable fulcrum, obviously. Or you could jack up the end of the shed using a 2+ tonne bottle jack working on a length of 2x4 screwed on high enough for the jack to get under. Obviously fill in the screw holes after.

Looks like I was a bit optimistic with the 3m wrecking/demolition bar. 60" seems more the limit, though I am sure i have seen people on construction sites with longer: https://www.dewalt.ie/products/dwht55147--dewalt-1500mm-60-demolition-bar

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭hero25

unscrew the hinges, take the door off and trim an inch or 2 off the door? and re-hang

Advertisement