Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Background checks

• 26-07-2021 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I’m a recent graduate looking at accountancy and finance roles. A few years ago I got a job as an operative but had my contract terminated because of absenteeism.

would this be found out by my future employers through background checks even though it will not be added to my cv? What type of background checks does the big 4 take?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,355 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How long were you in that job? Would a gap in your CV be noticed?

They won't know that you worked as an operative unless you tell them, or it is available maybe on social media or LinkedIn. There is always the possibility of some personal connection in Ireland - see if you can check out who audits the company you worked for, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 huyyota

I was only there for a day.

I was on payroll with them, wouldn't this be seen if they check my revenue using my pps number?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

You were fired for absenteeism after one day?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,355 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No, new employer won't see anything about past employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Likely showed up on the first day, didn't like it and never showed up again. Fired some point afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Any manager would have to fire you if you only show up for one single day and then never again. It's not even absenteeism, but most likely a breach of the employment contract. Getting fired is and would in such a case be the legal termination of the employment. However you could have verbally told them you didn't like the job, it's not what you'd expected, and left officially on the next day.

I don't think this has any impact on reference checks. These checks are often done by external companies, the work is repetitive. In some businesses it's part of the process of getting hired, only to say they have a process in place. If they want to hire you they'll hire you regardless if you'd be fired once, or have one bad reference, out of many good ones.

Advertisement