Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thoughts on 'Commission Only' Sales Jobs

• 26-07-2021 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks

Just want to get some feedback on the thoughts on these. Have a lot of cold emailing/calling needed (with a high potential for many quick 4 and 5 figure sales) with x% going to the Salesperson.

Are 'Commission Only' Jobs quite frowned upon or are they any bit normal still?

The person I would be looking for would hopefully have certain contacts/or at least be in the know in the field they'd be selling to.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

You're looking to employ someone? Is that even legal given there is a minimum wage?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Wasn't 100% sure really. That's a small bit of what I wanted to find out here too.

It likely would be min-wage if that was mandatory with the job. Actually wasn't sure.

Have other full-time Staff but none in sales

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Panic Stations

You'll be hard pressed to find someone for this unless they were very certain they could sell your product/service.

Personally I'd never take a job like that and would also never hire someone on a commission only contract. Very easy for them to find a better offer elsewhere and will just lead to an increase in frustration your end and high staff turnover.

Maybe a low base salary with high OTE might be a better solution.

Yeh that above post makes sense.

Will revisit it at another angle (likely with your suggestion as a starting point)

Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

You weren't 100% sure! when its well known there is such a thing as minimum wage and you want to employ someone, pull the other one.

slavery isn't permitted also, in case you weren't sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Someone who will work for minimum wage isn't going to make the sales you want.

Posters here tend to very wage-worker-focussed.

Suggest you try posting in the Entrepreneurship and Business Management forum for ideas about accessing the type of resources you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I had a couple of experiences recently with door to door sales people, which might not be the same thing would be the sort of thing you can come up with.

In the first case an elderly relative was advised to change electricity provider, the issue with this is that the free electricity could only be handles by some providers, but not the one he moved to. Even though he got the creidt lodged to his current account, he did not really have the cognative ability to make the decision and he may have been taken advangage off.

In another case someone sold ma a broadband package and when teh docummentation arrived the package was completely different to what he sold me and I was asked to confirm the contract on a tablet.

With a high percentage of income based on comission, there is the risk that the person might engage in sharp practices to get sales, as a result there is an electricity provider and a broadband provider that I would never do business with again,

I cant see how companies think this sort of thing is a good idea, they must be doing long term damage to their brand.

Reflect on the damage that someone could do if they were motivated by the wrong thing.

I also had insurance sales people sell me stuff in the past, some of it was probably not in my best interest either, particularly a pension product I was sold at one point in time.

Yeh this make sense to be fair and that was kind of my thoughts initially that the job really is just about the sales with them having a high ceiling.

I'll still check out my options all the same.

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

I like to think I am clued in on the latest deals around. I was able to tell one door to door rep he was wrong and give him the correct figures. Another one tried to tell me I could get out of my contract without sanction (rubbish). Door to door reps on performance based wage will tell you anything to get your sig.

My elderly family now call me before agreeing to anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I think these Commission Only sales jobs are something North American I've seen them a couple of times in Canada.

In some industries they are more common place, mostly in selling some machine equipment or heating and cooling equipment for houses. Also realtors / real estate agencies seem to work that way in North America.

In Ireland, I don't know if that's even legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I had one dope try to tell me that 20% off electricity and 20% off gas meant 40% off the bill.

Advertisement