Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has the 1 week downtime & move to vanilla killed this place?

Comments

Any F1 race is only a speck compared to a major soccer final.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yes we missed the chance to gloat @ england's car crash

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Maybe I have missed something but it looks like you joined boards the day before you wrote this...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

This new boards site is very bad. I want the pop-down menus instead of searching for them.

Also seems fewer people are posting on here. This could be the start of the death of boards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Had a look at the other site mentioned earlier & there are an awful lot of familiar user names from boards on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Buzzin-Hornets

Yes you missed my first posted where I said ‘prompted me to sign up again’ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Another annoying thing, on the old site clicking a link would open up a new tab, now I have to right click the link and choose 'open another tab' what you get is a message saying you are leaving boards.ie and you have to click the link again. The older style was much easier to use.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭VanZan

Looks like a cut down cost cutting version of boards.ie because its number of users was dwindling. Sites change to something basic like this when they're on the way out. End of an era.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Concur with previous comments. New forum style is crap and really difficult to find threads you follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Site is absolutely awful to view on a smartphone. I will miss the banter on the soccer match threads but the site is finished for me. A shame, I didn't feel there was anything wrong with the previous setup. The amount of white space and lack of info on it have meant I don't even think about logging in that much anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I really like this site, and have been here since '07 on my original username. If I'd have been offered the choice between the occasional downtime, quirks like new posts sometimes not being visible on mobile but visible on desktop (the Netflix thread a prime example) and whatever other curveballs old boards had, I'd bite your hand off to keep it, after seeing what we're left with now.

I just don't think there's going to be a presentable/user friendly version of this any time soon, truly awful. It's not like rearranging the furniture while the Titanic sinks, it's blowing more holes in to it to sink it faster.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Great shout for ****.

I don't have to request the desktop site every single time because the mobile site which causes issues elsewhere (a big no no if you want my ad data and email etc..) AND it has a dark mode. Tremendous.

Whoever signed off on this scutter should be ashamed. You're stealing a living.

Ciao

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It’s a shambles. Whomever sold them the idea of this being the way forward must be laughing all the way to the bank. They seem to have really killed it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

+1 for Gubu. Signed up last week and it's not over moderated neither which is a bonus.

The person running it is great to directly deal with queries or suggestions too, even if it's not a yes they'll explain why. Early days and not a huge user base yet, but it makes for a good atmosphere. The software is light years ahead too.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The funny thing is... It's not...

The base software (phpBB) is 21 years old.. And the current phpbb 3.0 version is 7 years old.

The functionality of it as a discussion board though is eons ahead of this crap that vanilla has served up.

Of course, phpbb is very limited in what it does, and probably couldn't support a site as big as boards. But the powers that be here should be doing all they can to get a UI and UX as close to the current phpbb version as they can.

Yeah I probably should have said usability more so than software. It's like they used to say about iphones - it just works. Boards is currently like 2014 touchwiz.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Of course, phpbb is very limited in what it does, and probably couldn't support a site as big as boards.

Maybe a site as big as Boards was Syd, but over the last few years where most of the hundreds of subforums were dead or breathing their last? Where the majority of the traffic was going to what? A couple of dozen forums? There are quite the number of busy enough forums out there still using old style bulletin board platforms seemingly without much issue. Here's just one example of a car brand forum, so niche enough: https://honda-tech.com/forums/ over three million threads, just under fifty million posts and over half a million members. Here's another and even more niche in many ways https://www.watchuseek.com/ going since '05, eighteen million posts, four hundred odd thousand members. [spot the guy who likes watches and drives a Honda] 😁

Now maybe this Vanilla thing was an effort to garner more people to sign up to Boards with it's new interface, but IMHO that was a silly move. Forums in general are and have been on the back foot for years. Someone on one of these threads reckoned Boards was full of middle aged men. OK, let's say that's true, but they're a demographic too and one that usually has spare cash so advertisers like them. A forum like Mumsnet which is pretty focused is huge. There's a niche there to build on that and Boards could have. They're also a demographic more resistant to change and a change like this that makes the site more confusing and harder to browse and harder to find things for anyone coming in is going to piss that demographic off even more.

And it seems it has. About the most replied threads on the site now are about how pissed off the vast majority of posters are at this retrograde change.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Well, not a lot of traffic to moderate so far, plus newbies maybe on good behaviour

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I've seen a few different changes and policies declared as the thing that would kill boards (And some of the smaller fora have been dead or dying for a while), but I do worry this may actually kill boards.

Posting is way down across the site, in a way I've never seen before. The soccer forum in particular is a disaster as it is designated a group instead of a forum.

The longer this goes on, the more you'll wonder can things recover.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

It doesn't seem this software is meant to run a forum website. It's meant to be integrated for support or a small section of a bigger site.

Put Your Customers First

Engage your customers with a vibrant and modern online customer community forum. A customer community helps to increases loyalty, reduce support costs

The world’s most customer-centric companies are building communities using Vanilla by Higher Logic's powerful platform.

Vanilla can help if you are a...

Customer Support Leader

Customer Experience Executive

Product Manager

Marketing/Brand Champion

Is it any wonder it struggles to come in after vBulletin? It was never meant to. Xenforo was the obvious choice and it's a joy to use. Bananas decision that could handily cost people jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Boards has been dying for a couple of years now anyway. It's gone far too liberal and any kind of conversation that mods don't agree with is removed and posters warned/banned/lectured etc... Good posters who don't have mainstream opinions have left or been banned in droves and all you are left with is an echo chamber.

And this must be the only largish forum online that doesn't host themselves or have access to the codebase. Having to wait for people in another country to sign off on pull requests when those pull requests are your entire business is fairly unheard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Buzzin-Hornets

Well that's pretty shocking if it is the case. How on earth could someone make such an ill-informed decision with something so big?

I'd expect to be looking for a new job if I did something like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

There is 1 person dealing with around 200 posters most of whom are just talking about boards. Small sites are easy to manage as instant decisions can be made and everyone is on board with the newness of it. Was Niamh to start making new forums or deleting old ones on request without consultation with a wider audience the feedback would be overwhelmingly negative.

Simple business rule is small businesses are fast moving and can easily respond to change. Large companies are slow and resistant to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭archfi

Not true about most of the discussions yakking about here.

There's one or two threads and I think it's extremely normal for an Irish based site to discuss something happening in Ireland that affects mostly Irish people.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I'm on a few forums that have updated over the years and were running the same version of vbulletin as boards, they still use it, without any complaints and update it as needed. Not sure why boards didn't do this.

I come on to boards and realise I can't find any threads I was following, can't continue any discussions, and so I leave.

I'm Struggling to stay here. The law of averages tells me that eventually I will land on a site or forum that suits me better than previous ones I have landed on, and I can't imagine I'd be using boards as much from then on once that happens.

EDIT - I'm outta here again now to go browsing/look elsewhere, when normally a Monday morning would be my tea, Danish and boards..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Given the comments and feedback over the past 10 days or so, it's obvious that the regular posters are very unhappy (rightfully) at these stupid and unnecessary changes and I would also agree that it does look like Boards is dying a slow death.

Wibbs made a very good point here that as the demographic of Boards has aged over the past 20 or so years, the needless changes to the familiar format of the site are only serving to drive posters away.

Advertisement