Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Removing sections of architrave that run to ceiling

Options
  • 19-07-2021 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice on this, as I'm getting conflicting messages from tradespeople. House is a 1940s build and the upstairs doors all have architrave going above the door frame to the ceiling. See attached pics of bathroom door for example. May even be a window frame.

We replaced the upstairs doors last year. The carpenters weren't keen on doing anything to the architraves and suggested that it provides some function for the roof support in houses like this.

But I'm in the process of getting quotes for renovating the bathroom, and one person has said they could remove the top sections above the door frame and plaster the wall. Another has said they can build out/tile over this.

It looks dated to me, so the idea of removing it is attractive, but obviously won't do anything if the carpenters position makes sense to others here (I can't tell myself from the attic viewpoint)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Post edited by purple hands on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The architrave is definitely not supporting anything, that line was a fob off, there may have been fanlights over the doors originally but they rarely go to the ceiling, what material are the upstairs walls made from, with a house that age it could be plastered laths, cinder block, mass concrete, or hardboard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

Thanks for the reply, that makes sense. Not sure of the upstairs wall material tbh. They're thin though. Hopefully not another fob-off, but our electrician would only put in surface-mounted light switches in a couple of rooms.

Advertisement