Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Last night was provisionally the first tropical night in Ireland for 20 years, with Valentia in Kerry not observing any temperature under 20.5°C

Tropical nights (shaded air above 20°C all night) are rare in Ireland having only occurred around 6 times in the digital record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

it’s 26 degrees and partly cloudy with sunshine here in North Dublin, beautiful day to be honest. Only in this current spell could 26 degrees with blue skies and a bit of haze be considered disappointing :-) it’s really warm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Durrow AWS got to 29.4c just after lunch time, hovering between 29.0c and 29.3c since.

We're bursting 29c an hour earlier than yesterday. 30.5c was recorded yesterday and last night went down to 12.7c.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Looks like it's thinning to me on Sat. We had some much stronger sunshine in Dublin the last hour but some thicker haze has rolled back in from the south. It's patchy enough though, more blueish sky around than earlier for sure. Should be enough time in the day to push 30c if it continues to clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Feels like the hottest day yet in Letterkenny despite the high cloud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

This is the perfect step down from the 40c heat I've been in for the past few months. Loving it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It's actually quite windy in Cork but still very, very warm

it beggars belief how much Irish people moan about everything. A really nice June (in Dublin at least) and one poor week and now a sweltering hot week or two and people already complaining about what August might bring. I never take notice of any forecast beyond 5 days regardless of time of year, they are rarely close to accurate. Looking at the next few days, i see another warm day tomorrow, temps between 19 - 24 for weekend (hardly a disaster!) and high teens / early 20s for early days of next week. anything beyond Wednesday is pointless at this stage. because the forecast will have already changed by the end of the weekend.

I stand by this being the best summer in many years but i can only speak for Dublin where I live, a definitely 8 - 8.5/10 for summer 2021 up to what is now 3rd week of July. Even if August is bang average this will have been a very good summer in these parts with close to 2 months of good weather.

For some context, so far this summer in Dublin (June and July combined to date) we have had a total of 48mm of rain. In that same period last year we had 170mm, 123 mm in 2019. Only 48mm in Summer 2018 is comparable. I am not sure the summers between 2015 - 2018 were near as dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭glightning

😁

This cold spell is pretty hard to stick, eh??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

30.0c Durrow AWS at 2pm

• Advertisement

It's been a good one for the eastern side of NI too. And my home grown, pretty damn good tan is evidence of that 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Yeah. Armagh was the hotter than Castlederg at 1pm. Was 30c. New reports close to coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭esposito

I should have posted that in the FI charts +120 thread. I won’t moan anymore about August!

I am really enjoying this weather and I just don’t want it to end! I’ve been swimming nearly every day since this fine spell began.

Despite the hazier sky it feels even warmer than yesterday here in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

As I put in another thread, I'd say this is the fourth best summer I have experienced in Dublin depending on how August fares; 2018, 2013, 2006, 2021 and 2014 - in that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Can't see any of your photos. :-( It's saying the connection isn't safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Currently 29.4°c in West Clare.

It's very hot mind you, but it doesn't feel quite as intense as the last few days, likely due to the high cloud. Seems to be thinning however.

One thing missing from this summer (so far anyway) is a good, epic night time storm. We had some night time lightning one night last summer here in NI, but other than that I'd have to go back to August 2017 for the last proper night time storm here (which was a very good one).

And my definition of a good storm is lightning every 30 seconds or less and 10's to 100's of flashes rather than just an isolated flash or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Killygordon 30.6c

Decent chance Castlederg could break yesterday's record. That station is close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Absolutely. And anything beyond 7 days is unknown. This heatwave, it's duration etc wasn't forecast 10 days from the start.

its 30 degrees again at Mount Dillon on 3pm update. 29 degrees in a number of locations too

MALIN HEAD 22.............I REPEAT MALIN HEAD 22!! that is definitely worthy of capital letters, I can picture the locals running for the beach !!! The Irish heat wave is officially complete when Malin Head goes over 20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

It had been a bit cloudy in Cork from lunch yesterday to lunch today so temps a small bit down (23 to 25!). But sun fully shining the last hour and God it is hot. Still a nice breeze though....

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

We had one of them in May 2018, really blazing sunshine for a few days and then a massive thunderstorm across the south coast that night. Remember it well since it was the day after the abortion referendum so it sort of felt like divine retribution 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 9,603 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

On my place in Belmullet atm and its like Majorca for intense searing heat!! - as well as the high temps in the West, Dublin AP @ 26c currently is also notable as it comes with a steady 10kt easterly straigt off the Irish Sea!!

Reached a max of 30.0°c at 2:54pm, currently 29.8°c in West Clare.

Second day reaching 30°c.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Carlow Weather is currently showing 31.6C, it actually recorded 32.3C today.

30.3C currently just outside Castlebar, third day in a row over 30C but feeling cooler with the lowest humidity of the 3 days.

Post edited by Xenji on

Thats a Davis vantage Pro 2 run by Villain (here on boards) in Tullow co Carlow

It maxed out at 32.3c so far today or over 90 Fahrenheit in old money

Mt.Dillion reporting 30°c at 4pm.

Shannon, Athenry and Newport reporting 29°c.

A plethora of Stations on 27/28°c. Lowest reported temperature was 23°c in both Roches Point and Malin Head. Not a bad day when the lowest temperature in Ireland is 23°c!

My station here in West Clare now showing 30.8°c. Sunshine much stronger than earlier, tropical feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭zisdead

Doesn't look like 31 C will be broken at this stage in the current heatwave.

But I'm sure we have a few new calender date records ? That the yanks seem to be just as fascinated with when I lived over there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I hope all the people that complained about the hot weather are happy, its their fault its coming to an end. Noticeably cooler here in Athenry today. Not that its actually cooler according to the official station but there is a noticeable breeze on my side of town. I must take a wander into Teagasc some day and see where the weather station is, there are a lot of buildings, concrete and tarmac over in the facility in general.

• Advertisement

Advertisement