Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ford tractor hard to start

• 21-07-2021 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭

ford 7000 which was going fine has recently been so hard to start, you churn it over and over and not start but then you might try it later and churn it over for ages again and will start, turn her off and then sometimes hard to start again, its brand new battery

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Suckler

Work down the list of;

1 - Fuel

2- Battery

3 - Air

As you have a brand new battery first thing I'd check is the fuel getting to the injectors. The in tank filter clogging up always gave us the same symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭kincaid

It did run out of diesel and we bled her last weeknand went fine but now acting up, maybe filters

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibaba

Same thing was happening mine Ford 4000

Changed the diesel filter and got new in tank filter. Old one id say was there since the first day , just cleaned occasionally.

Tractor now going fine 🚜🚜🚜

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

definitely filters would be next stop, also if there is a gause in either tank or lift pump.

emptying the tank brings the dregs into the system.

Ok I changed the diesel filter and getting diesel and started up first turn, used it for an hour and turned her off, half hour later when out to start her but wouldn't start, I,m lost now, anyone any ideas as strange one this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭minerleague

Pipe leading from injectors back to diesel tank might be blocked?

I got Fuel going to injector pump and to the injectors

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Park it in a shed with a concrete floor overnight, see if there's any diesel on the floor in the morning. I reckon you've a leak with air getting in somewhere. I suspect the olive on the pipe coming from the bottom of the fuel tank.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

No leaks, fitted a new heater plug, wouldn't start, used easy start which I dont like but did start the tractor anyhow, tractor worked for 15 minutes and then started to lose power and then stopped, now wont even start with easy start, checked and getting lots of diesel to Injector pump as opened the same bolt, also getting diesel the the 4 injectoros,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think I be getting someone to look at it. Next thing with all the turning the starter will fail.

I have suspected the stopper but you are getting diesel out of the injector pump to the injector.

This time of year Heater plug and easy start should make no difference.

One thing to try is if tank is full try to start tractor with cap off diesel tank. Losing power definately should like an air or dirt problem.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Sounds like a fuel problem, had problems before with a tractor similar to what you're describing, the fuel line ( leak back ?? ) from top of injectors to diesel tank had corroded just where it entered tank and blocked with sediment so excess fuel couldn't return to tank. Only saw it when i cleaned out tank, made up a new line outside up to top of tank. Other than that as Bass says if filler cap isn't letting air in causing vacuum? There is a filter in the injector pump itself but if you getting fuel to injectors hardly that

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Do you have another tractor using the same diesel? Or did you get a fill of diesel recently?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

I took filter in injector pump out but was clean , so how did you go about sorting the lines or can you fit an non return valve thingie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Suckler

Check the filter in the tank yet? All the same symptoms we had; would start etc. then stand up a short while later. Diesel at the injectors but it wasn't enough to run on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Check all the filters and all the lines for fuel. There is most likely shite in the lines or filtered. Diesel coming out doesn't mean the injectors are making enough pressure to allow spark. And drops in pressure of fuel will result in under or no performance.

I got some of the thin metal piping ( local mechanic ), joined it and rerouted it up to top of tank on outside. Originally it went into tank at bottom and continued up to top inside allowing excess fuel out above level of fuel in tank. ( not a great design really) This was a mf2685 so the routing might be different on yours. Follow the horizontal piping from top of injectors back.

Any joy? See where a 2wd ford 7000 with 7k hrs made Sterling £ 32k ( plus comm? )in england recently so mind it anyway😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Have a digger with the same symptoms at the minute. Checked everything as above mentioned. It will start if u loosen an injector but it has no power to dig - it dies under any load. Took off the air breather to eliminate that. New diesel. If I take the banjo off at the pump the diesel flows fine. The injectors are spitting out diesel when loosened and I have smoke too. There's nothing coming from the return pipe at all. What I mean nosing I take off the return pipe at the injector nothing comes out when it is running. Could the injectors be clogged up???

It’s not much use but I’d lay off the easy start, it just creates problems.

The old saying that engines get addicted to it has some basis.

It burns at a very high temperature which damages rings and valve seats causing a drop in compression, which makes starting harder, requiring more easy start, thus doing more damage.

have to think from reading this it’s a diesel supply issue, either restricted flow or air bleeding in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Any luck with this? My starter has packed it in as well now. Some genius arrived and put 24 v to it. Think the solenoid is gone, have to go at it shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Figerty

Small filter in the diesel tank needs to be taken out and cleaned. Need to drain the tank, take it out and clean it. Wash out the tank while you are at it... You will get some fuel coming through, enough to start the tractor, but then the consumption will exceed the feed and stop you.

Looks like this

https://www.amazon.com/RTP-Ford-Tractor-Fuel-Tappet/dp/B072HNQKT5

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Thats not how easy start works Brian

It actually lowers the temperature combustion occurs, so an engine with low compression can start easier

There is no evidence it causes harm when used properly. What happens is something fails to start or is hard to start, so easy start is used. When easy start is no longer used the engine doesn't magically start any easier as the root cause is still not discovered, but the easy start is often blamed.

Once the engine is turning before the ether is sprayed sparingly,no harm will occur. It will often get a machine through a winter and a man out of trouble but its a 2 man job to use it

Thanks, that makes sense

mid gotten the other explanation off another forum on tractors.

Well guys I got it to start and worked her for a few hours, let her sit for just over an hour and wouldn't start, i even give it a flame but no go, battery is new and start is good high speed one, it probably start with easy start but don't like using that stuff tbh

some luck, on the other hand, mine got replacement red block engine fitted, think its 7610, i think they go porous so wouldnt that take the value of her down

Probably lose some value alright, sorry to hear no start. Cant think of anything else to add if you're sure all filters are ok, No porous pipes letting in air??

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mythos110

Is she turning over quick enough to start do you think or is it more of a diesel problem? (Apologies for not reading back through all the comments). I had a landini that was always hard to start and it was only when I ran a new earth cable from the negative (ground) pole of the battery to the ground of the starter that all problems were sorted. Had changed battery and starter as you mentioned but this last step finally cured it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Jb1989

What's she like starting on a hill start?

Does she seem like a lady looking for a drink, or does she quickly fire?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭White Clover

Most of them were Dual Power so not possible to tow/run start them, although I don't think the op has stated whether it is or not.

Advertisement