Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Y: The Last Man

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Ah Keoghan is a strong actor and good to see another Irishman taking on a lead role. Not familiar with Lashana Lynch - her role's pretty vital too.

It's a great comic that also has a proper ending, which hopefully FX will stick to. Unrelated really but Brian K. Vaughn's other work, Saga, is a fantastic piece of writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Saw the headline on rte as him being cast in FX comic series. Thought it meant comedy. Great to see.

Thing is, I doubt they'll be making it as a miniseries so will be changing a lot. Basically they could end up with another Preacher, which I gave up on.

Hope I'm wrong though.

As for Saga, I read it in trade form so a few issues behind. That definitely won't be adapted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

ixoy wrote: »
    It's a great comic that also has a proper ending, which hopefully FX will stick to. Unrelated really but Brian K. Vaughn's other work, Saga, is a fantastic piece of writing.
    I hate endings like that where no explanation is given. Some people say it's clever or thought provoking but I always feel a bit cheated. I think it's just lazy, why not give us an explanation that is itself clever and thought provoking!? Great comic series overall though and could be a great tv series if done right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Great comic but after what's happened to The Walking Dead (mindless, filler drivel) and Preacher (not outright terrible but not at all faithful to the amazing source material), I'm mildly skeptical.

Still though, it's a great concept, so even if it's only a very lose adaption done well could still be great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've not got the impression FX are prone to dithering with its properties, though open to correction there. The Walking Dead is just a farce, but apocalyptic stories have a limited lifespan anyway, it wouldn't take much to end up spinning the wheels.

I'll be honest, I had to google Y: The Last Man: I'd heard its title mentioned here and there, but never knew the particulars. While also apocalyptic, it looks to have a demonstrative ticking clock in its narrative, while still having a semblance of civilisation to hang a story off - both of which would keep things driving forward, instead of a bunch of horrible characters bickering in a forest/farm/prison/etc...

Had definitely heard of Saga though - and yeah, there's no way in hell that'll get adapted anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

Keen to see how this turns out. Think people are being a bit harsh on Preacher. It's certainly more enjoyable than TWD. Least we didn't get stuck with Shia for this!

Something to remember is that Walking Dead and Preacher are AMC shows

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Recently, the showrunner dropped out replaced by the person who ran The Killing and now Barry Keoghan has dropped out as well, sickened.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1225497717281038341?s=19

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Probably dropping out because the project seems damned. Pity, I'd have been interested in seeing him do Yorrick.

I wasn't really convinced Keoghan was right for Yorick but was still excited to see him try it. Hopefully the whole thing doesn't fall through now or worse is done very poorly like Revolution or Falling Skies

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno. Maybe it's just as well, I can only imagine the total shítstorm this would kick off online, given the nature of the premise & story.

Alas poor Yorick, he may get his show yet

Ben Schnetzer cast as Yorick

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Started filming today

‘Y: The Last Man’ Starts Production With Cast Changes As Ashley Romans & Olivia Thirlby Join FX On Hulu Series
    Production has started in Toronto on Y: The Last Man, the upcoming Diane Lane-starring FX on Hulu drama series based on the Eisner Award-winning DC Comics series.

There are two new cast changes on the project as Ashley Romans and Olivia Thirlby have joined the series, replacing originally cast Lashana Lynch and Imogen Poots, respectively. Romans will play Agent 355; Thirlby will play Hero Brown. In February, Ben Schnetzer was cast as the male lead Yorick Brown, replacing Barry Keoghan who had exited the projects.

With new showrunner Eliza Clark, which was brought in after the Y pilot had been picked up to series last year, the revamped series was about to start shooting in March when all production was forced to shut down because of the fast growing coronavirus outbreak. Shooting got underway this week in Toronto, FX on Hulu original programming president Nick Grad said Thursday.

https://deadline.com/2020/10/y-the-last-man-cast-changes-olivia-thirlby-ashley-romans-timothy-hutton-1234605099/

Just finished Calm with Horses, still sickened Barry isn't Y but glad this is finally moving.

FX released a sizzle reel of up coming shows and had footage of this in it so it's really happening.

@25 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Niska

I'm assuming this (and the rest of the sizzle reel) will be on Disney+ / STAR over here.

Niska wrote: »
    I'm assuming this (and the rest of the sizzle reel) will be on Disney+ / STAR over here.

Not necessarily the BBC have a deal with FX and even last month they signed a deal for FX on Hulu show A Teacher.

Actually they just announced they have,
    Star has announced they have secured the UK rights to a litany of upcoming FX and Hulu series including: American Horror Story spin-off American Horror Stories; Y: The Last Man; The Old Man; Only Murders In The Building; Dopesick; and The Dropout.

https://www.tvwise.co.uk/2021/03/star-acquires-uk-rights-to-grown-ish-rebel-american-horror-stories-more/

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Xaniaj

Niska wrote: »

Hopefully, while the Marvel stuff on Disney is being spread out to keep the subscriptions more necessary, an episode a week of Marvel won't justify keeping a monthly sub for me!

I've been waiting for Y since it was first announced and hopefully it'll have been worth the wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭shawki

I got excited for a second when I saw Jeff Bridges but then I remembered there is literally no part he could play in this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

shawki wrote: »
    I got excited for a second when I saw Jeff Bridges but then I remembered there is literally no part he could play in this show.

:D

• Advertisement

Jeff is playing Ampersand

https://tvline.com/2021/06/03/impeachment-american-crime-story-premiere-date-fx/

September 13th
    FX also announced that Y: The Last Man, based on Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra’s popular D.C. Comics title, will begin streaming on Monday, Sept. 13, on FX on Hulu. The series “traverses a post-apocalyptic world in which a catacylsmic event decimates every mammal with a Y chromosome, but for one cisgender man and his pet monkey,” the show’s synopsis states. “The series follows the survivors in this new world as they struggle with their efforts to restore what was lost and the opportunity to build something better.” Ben Schnetzer, Diane Lane and Amber Tamblyn star.

Y: The Last Cisgender Man

Was not expecting a debut date this year..... And was not expecting the cis bit. Weird thing to add.

I guess allowing for transgender men?

I have a bad feeling about this show. By the sounds of it they'll be shoehorning in modern gender topics probably at the expense of the original comic book story. Hope I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I see that Imogen Poots is listed in it, and as her father is from NI, I wonder if the political Poots is related?

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1782299/?ref_=nm_mv_close

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I kinda guessed from the name everything communicated in that teaser 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement

Yorrick doesn't even look like he's the main character in this. Will keep my expectations low but looking forward to seeing it after so this time.

Advertisement