Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Johnstown Wood, Navan

• 13-05-2021 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Considering buying in Johnstown Wood. We have looking at the commute and amenities etc. and read old threads. There were mentions of anti social behaviour in the past. Is this still an issue there?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Living here in Johnstown.
    That was a Boll0x0logy thread of someone with an axe to grind and now where to grind it.
    Johnstown is a relatively new (20 years old) estate to last year.
    There are people good and bad. There are different generations growing up here. Most are people who have been priced out of the Dublin market.
    There is not an even strata on ages. Different people came and went at different times. The lad across the way from me is going to University. There are builders, bikers, firemen, office workers, disability, engineers, shop workers. In short every profession and trade and I am living here 5 years to be with my wifey for lifey (still loved up by the way).
    I dont see any vandalism, I dont think there are more drugs that go on more so than anywhere else, then again I am not in the market for drugs. I see the odd character that is up to no good. I am worried about the next 10 years with Youth unemployment and what that will bring.
    It is about average but I have lived in places in Ireland that are much worse.

On the Public Transport side, they have just upgraded the town bus service, €2 and 5 minutes to the town center. The NX bus is direct to Dublin, once it leaves the limits of Navan it doesnt stop until Blanchardstown and then onto O'connell Street, goes every 20 minutes. Also see the 109 and its variants. Buses leave for Trim Drogheda, Kells, Virginia. The Train is an auld red herring that the politicians roll out to distract from real issues. The rail line is owned by the Mine and they dont share their toys. Also buses in the morning for Maynooth, DCU, UCD as well.

For shopping you have Supervalue on your door step and they are good for everything from a needle to an anchor. Lidl and Aldi and Marks and Spencer, Dunnes Stores are in the town. Electronics and hardware stores are on the periphery and just as good as Dublin.

Any other questions fire away. I am in the market to buy. Would I buy here if I was priced out of Dublin? Definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Hi Supacat95,

Thanks for the detailed response. Sounds good so far. I joined the residents group and there was also very little mention of anti social issues which was nice to see.

Would yourself and the wife feel safe enough going for a walk in the evenings etc? What is the town itself like? I see it has loads to offer but maybe some issues again with anti social behaviour or crime according to some.

Would the mixed bag of generations /backgrounds/coming and going lead to lack of sense of community?

Cheers

Hi Supacat95,

Thanks for the detailed response. Sounds good so far. I joined the residents group and there was also very little mention of anti social issues which was nice to see.

Would yourself and the wife feel safe enough going for a walk in the evenings etc? What is the town itself like? I see it has loads to offer but maybe some issues again with anti social behaviour or crime according to some.

Would the mixed bag of generations /backgrounds/coming and going lead to lack of sense of community?

Cheers

These are my observations. Sure I am heading out to Super Valu in 10 minutes to buy crisps and stuff. Sure myself go for walks around the block (Super valu, industrial estate, old Johnstown and cut back through the estate). No bother.

I do see the Tracksuit Brigade in the town but they are everywhere now.

The future? Who knows? Johnstown is mostly Dublin people priced out of the market. This is how it stands today.

SupaCat95 wrote: »
    These are my observations. Sure I am heading out to Super Valu in 10 minutes to buy crisps and stuff. Sure myself go for walks around the block (Super valu, industrial estate, old Johnstown and cut back through the estate). No bother.

I do see the Tracksuit Brigade in the town but they are everywhere now.

The future? Who knows? Johnstown is mostly Dublin people priced out of the market. This is how it stands today.

Grand. Last thing, someone mentioned protential flooding in Navan. I can't really find anything flooding issues relating to Johnstown, I'm assuming it's not an issue in that particular area?

Grand. Last thing, someone mentioned protential flooding in Navan. I can't really find anything flooding issues relating to Johnstown, I'm assuming it's not an issue in that particular area?

I cant comment on any other place in Navan but from Supervalu to the foot of the Boyne there is a massive drop in elevation. The only way Johnstown would flood would have to be rain of biblical proportions. No chance of a flood what so ever.

What you really need do is to walk around the estate, buy something in Supervalu and walk down to the River. Then drive back to Dublin in 20 minutes to Blanchardstown (using the toll road). That will tell you a lot in a short time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,247 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

What Supacat said, Johnstown is on a hill so it would take a massive flood to get up there, but it would be the least of your problem if that was the case.

There was a spate of anti-social behaviour a while back but find me somewhere with teenagers that there isnt.

The public transport infrastructure got a massive upgrade recently with the town busses. And there was plans to re-open the gym there before COVID.

So we went to pull the trigger on a house in Johnstown and only one insurance company would offer us cover but that wouldn't include cover for flooding.

The house is barely, and I mean very barely, in what's deemed to be an low risk area for flooding.

I know it seems likely to never happen, but would like to not have that doubt at all. Will have to look at other houses.

You need to start down at the Ard Boyne Hotel and walk the whole way up the hill to Supervalu to understand how far the water has to rise!!!

Go get an ordnance survay map. If the elevation lines are close together that means a sheer incline and a reasonable space apart means a gentle slope. That is a good 40 degree slope. Then there is the elevation of Johnstown. So for Johnstown to be flooded the Boyne would have to rise 40 feet from its lowest point. These insurance brokers arent maths people at all, they are just minimum wage teleworkers reading scripts. I would ask to be put onto a real manager. I wont lie there is always a good swell in the Boyne as it is a fast flowing river but it could never reach the height of Johnstown.

It seems to be a stream coming from the river near Athlumney down to Dunville that is the issue on the map, rather than the Boyne itself.

Extremely frustrating for them to take such a black and white view on the matter. They are insuring some neighbouring houses even.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

and there is seemingly no way of getting maps reviewed. I wouldnt worry too much.

😎

• Advertisement
Advertisement