Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Course recommendations in North Leinster

• 15-07-2021 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm incoming '22 captain for my society. We're based in North Meath and I'm looking for recommendations for courses within an hour driving or so? Over the past 25 years or so we've played all around Meath, Westmeath, Louth, Cavan, Offaly, Kildare & Dublin. Would like to be playing courses that are in good condition, ideally have a bar & food service and are charging €40 or less green fees for societies. Will likely have around 30 players or so.

Any tips are much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

You might get Seapoint for that price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭boccy23

Killeen near Naas might also fit. Excellent condition anyway and a great and challenging layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭coillcam

Mullingar, Farnham, Esker Kills and New Forest jump to mind. Though you've played them all. The captain for our soc at work said Mullingar was fairly well booked up for dates as of last weekend. Big demand for tee times on society days in general according to the same captain but your mileage may vary greatly here depending on dates and headcount. Mullingar (home course) and Esker Hills are both in fantastic condition as of this week fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Headfort

Mullingar

Seapoint

Knightsbrook

Ardee

Farnham Estate

Co. Meath, Curragh ( unsure of food availability )

I've played Ardee,Co.Meath,Mullingar and Headfort recently, all in very good condition excepting the greens on Headfort Old which aren't quite over the disease they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kilough

Thanks for recommendations. Headfort is too local and we've a lot of members there including myself so I might skip. The old course greens are being treated for that disease at the min, hopefully they'll cure up soon. The new course is in immaculate nick.

We've played most of the above aside from Ardee and the Curragh, will look into both. Kileen a little out of budget. Really liked Mullingar and New Forest so may go back to one or both.

What's Laytown/Bettystown like? Any opinions on St Margerets, Luttrelstown or Roganstown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭coillcam

Most of our soc members are very casual and only play about 10 rounds in a year in the soc outings. I'd estimate many are 25+ HC. Essentially half of the soc. The general rule our captain made was not to pick a track that was too punishing. For example, New Forest is a beautiful course but some members won't play it as: "It's not fun. I don't like water. The OB/trees are too close to the fairway" etc etc. It's not a ridiculously challenging course but compared to Mullingar (you can bail out and hit from other adjacent fairways on most holes), these guys are potentially losing A LOT of balls and I'll include myself there too 😄. Might be something else to consider based on your members level of abilities. You're at this long enough so I'm sure you've got it well figured out.

FWIW I absolutely love New Forest and the challenge of playing on a new unknown course is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Laytown I would think is out of budget otherwise a solid course.

Luttrellstown is similar to headfort just more land and money, good course.

St Margrets I haven't played in a few years, layout was decent but it was in need if work then, I'm sure someone else has played it since and can comment on its condition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

It is Killeen not Killeen Castle he is talking about. Have never played fwiw

But Killeen is well within budget

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

St. Margaret's is in great nick at the minute but i'd recommend booking early if you can

Advertisement