Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car not as it should be

• 15-07-2021 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭

Looking for a bit of advice. Daughter bought second hand car 2016 after about a month it started to have problems. Went back to garage and after a fight they agree to fix it was in garage for 2 weeks waiting for parts A few weeks later the same problem arose back to garage and after another fight they said they would look at it again. After another week in garage she got the car back saying they have driven it around for a while and could find no problem.

Now over weekend the problem has started again daughter works in the other end of country and had to take time of work for the last too botched repair jobs.

she emailed the garage today telling them she was taking the car to the main dealer to get it fixed and sending them the bill.

she wants rid of the car now

Any advice would be great

Post edited by biko on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

What car is it and whats the problem with it? Depending on the car and the problem some things might take a bit of trail and error to get sorted. Taking the car to a main dealer and expecting the garage she bought the car from to foot the bill will be very difficult I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭lulu1

Thanks for your reply but I really dont want to mention makes and garages.

It is a serious problem and the garage already had 2 chances to repair it

Its her first car and she spent her last penny on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

I'd say the chances of the garage paying that bill are remote to say the least. How long is it since she bought it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Hard to see any comeback other than returning to them and pressing them to fix it themselves. What kind of problem is it? Is it an expensive fix? Main dealers can charge extortionate amounts compared to local mechanics. Just be mindful she might be left with the bill.

" Caveat Emptor" comes to mind, what king of guarantee was provided with the car?? Forwarding on an invoice from main dealer wont get any traction, that approach won't end well

She had another garage put it on the ramp today and they advised her not to drive it home so what happens now I dont know

At the same time she is thinking of paying for it just so she can trade it in

OH thinks anything form 6 to 800 euro

She has emailed them saying that is what she is going to do had no response back

10 months guarantee

Not surprised there's no response to email.....thats an aggressive "opening" gambit. Looking at the facts.....its a 5yr old car that was purchased with a 10month guarantee from ( I assume) an independent dealer. Now, 9months 'into' the guarantee issues are arising with the car. The garage has twice attempted to rectify the car but these efforts have proved unsuccessful. Most likely, any profit from the car is now gone & they're only chasing the loss. As before, taking the car to main dealer & having car returned to 'as new' condition & expecting the garage to foot the bill won't end well, the garage MUST be given the opportunity to rectify the issues but I suspect, following on from email, they're taking a " cautious / delayed" approach. A 2nd ( more pragmatic) email tomorrow/ followed by phone call may prove the better course

• Advertisement

But how many chances do they get to fix the problem they already attemped it twice . she has lost about 2 weeks wages coming from the other end of country to the garage

the problems started about 3 to 4 months after purchase

And we know from experience they dont ring back when they say they would

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I would inform the garage where she bought it that she has been advised the car should not be driven and ask them to either arrange for it to be fixed where it is or collect it and fix it themselves.

I would also point out to them that this is the third time the car has broken down within their warranty period (itemising the previous two times).

If the garage doesn't fix or arrange for it to be fixed to her satisfaction I would then inform the garage that I am rejecting the car as not fit for purpose and look for a full refund.

I would not let the garage off the hook by putting my own money into the car to get in in good enough running order to trade in and be at a loss.

If the garage isn't reasonable about fixing the car (and providing a courtesy car while it's off the road) I'd take them to court looking for a full refund, loss of earnings and legal costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would not be getting another garage to fix the problem and then expect the selling dealer to reimburse you. Chances are they won't and claim they didn't approve that you will have even a bigger fight trying to get them to pay you.

Will see what the selling garage has to say tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Zylias

OP, I'd be looking at sending a solicitors letter to the garage if they don't help you out.

It's very hard to help you without the make of the car and what the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Likely one for the small claims court. The garage will not like an official complaint to local office.

It costs €25 to initiate, do it soon before warranty runs out...

You will likely need some evidence to do this...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

The limit for the small claims court is €2000, not likely enough to cover a 2016 car. The district court limit is €15,000.

The prospect of a district court claim for the refund of the full cost if the car, loss of earnings, legal costs and the prospect of the adverse publicity of the court case being reported in local newspapers might focus the garage's mind a bit more.

Our thinking is pretty much the same, i think if the garage hears anything about a court the may resolve and the small claim court threat will be done in a couple of weeks, if the threat does not work the other option is always available.

It was actually that suggested to me to use which i did, the case was called twice but because i did not turn up it was thrown out...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What car is it, what's the fault that's so dangerous not to drive it.

You don't have to tell names of garage or where ye are, nobody can advise you on no information.

How after 2 times was it not picked up on?

• Advertisement

Phoned garage first thing this morning and said what we said in the email that we were taking the car to the main dealer to be repaired and sending them the bill.

Guess what they agreed straight away so it must be a case of they cant fix it or its too big a job

Anyway all sorted

Thanks everyone for your comments

I'd be proceeding with caution there. Agreeing to pay and actually paying can be too different things. Make sure to get an estimate quote from the main dealer for the work and give it to the selling dealer otherwise it could be like the guy that crashes into you who wants to settle himself rather than going through his insurance only to hum/haw or disappear when the bill is way more that what he thought.

I dont think there will be a problem because they are a large well known garage and i dont think they would want any bad publicity.

But if they don't pay well that's a problem for another day

Great things working out.

Still as was said earlier i would get a quote and email same to the garage, that + your previous messages should confirm there was an ongoing problem.

Also to be fair to them they need to have an idea of cost if they are paying...

Yeah I understand what you are saying but have a fair idea they will be in touch with the main dealer themselves

If they are paying directly to the main dealer then fair enough, let them at it.

Advertisement