Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

For me the Speeds (& Endorphin Pro's) are better for paces that are faster than MP. They are more firmer & responsive - but still offer that cushioning.

I enjoy the NB TC's for MP efforts or long steady runs - but don't find them responsive enough for the faster paces.
    The foam is a tad squishy for that IMO.

Dont get me wrong - the NB TC (I dont have the RC....yet) is a fine shoe - I have 2 pairs!

Thanks! I think I'm looking for something for MP/steady running on the road. I got the Fuellcell Rebel v2 recently, which I think was my first NB road shoe, and, yes, "squishy" is a good description of the cushioning!!

Seems like the TC is a no-brainer, based on reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Beirut wrote: »
    Just a quick one. If you had a wider foot, without going for wide fit, which shoe would you run a marathon in?

Hmm. I certainly wouldn't go near the fuelcell rebel if you have a wide foot. TC, and Endorphins are a fine fit.. Not squashed and not overly wide. Adios Pro probably a little narrower maybe.

Sacksian wrote: »
    Thanks! I think I'm looking for something for MP/steady running on the road. I got the Fuellcell Rebel v2 recently, which I think was my first NB road shoe, and, yes, "squishy" is a good description of the cushioning!!

Seems like the TC is a no-brainer, based on reviews.

Only if you like a little bit of squish. If you liked the rebel then the TC are a few levels up from that and definitely a no brainer. If you didn't like the rebel "squish" forget about the TC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Slideways

Took the RC Elitle V1 out for a 40min tempo in the rain this morning. They way they grip on the wet surfaces compared to the endorphins is astounding. Zero slippage. Based on that alone I would put them to the front of the list for any wet race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

What do people think of the Hoka Mach4? thinking of picking them up for marathon training and possibly marathon too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭pathogan2008

Slideways wrote: »
    Took the RC Elitle V1 out for a 40min tempo in the rain this morning. They way they grip on the wet surfaces compared to the endorphins is astounding. Zero slippage. Based on that alone I would put them to the front of the list for any wet race.

Are you comparing the RC Elite to the Endorphin Pro or the Endorphin Speed?
    I have the Endorphin Speed and rarely take them out when it's wet. When I do, I am wary of the grip - it's quite poor.

That said, I ran in the rain last night in Brooks Adrenaline GTS and was shocked at how slippery they felt.

PH

Are you comparing the RC Elite to the Endorphin Pro or the Endorphin Speed?
    I have the Endorphin Speed and rarely take them out when it's wet. When I do, I am wary of the grip - it's quite poor.

That said, I ran in the rain last night in Brooks Adrenaline GTS and was shocked at how slippery they felt.

PH

Either tbh, they are both pretty average in wet conditions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I've just ordered the Adios 6 (€85 with discount code so not too bad) as it seems to have decent reviews. Has anyone tried it out yet?

did some more miles in the Floatride Forever Energy 3.

fit is definitely 1/2 size down for most people I would say.

they are pretty light for training shoes but the full rubber outsole makes them feel a little bit heavier than they actually are imo

blown rubber would have sufficed

mind you that means that they are reassuringly grippy in the very very very wet (like this eve)

definitely best for tarmac and concrete but gravelly paths and mild trails doable also

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

New endorphin speeds 2 arrived today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

These arrived this morning :) I'll report back after my run today.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

10 miles easy pace in these today (btw this is the non-carbon plate version). Very comfortable with nice roll and a good bit of bounce, especially as the pace increases a bit. Stack height is 40mm/30mm but they don't feel too soft and they're nice and stable. Definitely built for long runs.

Go with UK sizing if you get these, or go half a size down on EU sizing. Size 10 is 44.5 and they fit me perfectly with a nice bit of room in the toebox. For comparison I'm size UK10/EUR 45 in the Endorphon Speed which are also a great fit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Really enjoying these by the way - light and responsive for faster workouts, and enough cushion to be comfortable on longer runs. Feels like a great all-rounder.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Ran in these yesterday for rep session. Don't see much of difference between hyperion tempo and these. Comfortable runner and will do a tempo tomorrow in them

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cblanc

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

Thenew Brooks Ghost 14 if anyone is interested......

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

@Swashbuckler this must be the longest you haven't posted any bargains! Has anyone used the 60 day trial with Nike? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a pair of Alphaflys but am concerned I won't like them.

Haha. Yeah its a combination of things. Terrible new format. No longer looking at deals as im honestly completely set for training and racing shoes. I've never used the trial with Nike. As for the Alphaflys I dont have a pair and im not sure I ever will. The awful clomping sound off them completely puts me off.....Now the Next % are a different story. Easily the best shoe I've raced in.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

I actually have a pair of the Next % unused sitting in a box, might take them out and see how they feel.

I'm waiting on the standard Nike 25% off sale before deciding on the Alphaflys or VapourFlys.

To keep with the spirit of the thread Adidas are having a good sale with the shoes in this link having an additional 30% off.

https://www.adidas.ie/school-running-shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Just to say that Alphaflys and NEXT% shoes are normally not included in the standard Nike sales, so you would be paying full price normally. You can get lucky though. I would also recommend trying the NEXT% shoe first before going for the Alphaflys. For me there is not much difference between them in terms of comfort and yes, the Alphas have a loud slap when running. However, they are a bit more springy than the NEXT% and give me an extra bit of pace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭FinnC

They are included in the birthday discount though. I picked up the Next% last November with the birthday discount for €206, I plan on buying the Next% 2 this coming November using the same discount.

It can be hit and miss with the birthday discount as well. I too got the Alphas using the birthday discount but my OH couldn't use hers to buy the NEXT% 2 - go figure 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭sk8board

if you’re looking for a max cushion shoe for recovery days, the new NB Fresh Foam More 3 has great reviews and also decent energy return, you’re not just wearing pillows.

I got them here for €97 delivered, down from €150. If you subscribe to the newsletter, you get a €5 voucher code usable immediately, and can unsubscribe again if you wish.

Post edited by sk8board on

I just bought my 4th pair of 1080s today. The more 3 has a lower drop which wouldn’t suit my contrary Achilles which likes to flare up every once in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

Havehad a couple of pairs of NB 1080s aswell, really like them but have really been loving this guy since I got it...

Doing all types of runs in them, easy long runs,tempos and Speed....

Really versatile shoe.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Nike 25% off code from Bargain Alerts in case anyone missed it - BTS21

Used it pick up a pair of React Infinity Flyknit 2 for €83.98.

Also got a pair of ZOOMX Invincible Run shoes from Lifestyle Sports yesterday for €110 after reading a review on them, anyone here tried them before?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Invincibles are perfect for recovery stuff. The Zoom X is the good stuff, and without a carbon plate to bounce you back up you really do just sink into the plushness of the foam. They're not versatile though. Recovery runs only for me anyway. Great shoe though.

Same here, used them only on easy days which they are perfect for. Seeing as easy days make up the majority of everyone's running, then I don't mind paying the extra for that Zoomx foam comfiness

• Registered Users Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Went for my first run on the Zoomx Invincible's at lunch for a 10km easyish pace. Weird sensation, very very soft, almost squishy, but little spring/bounce, really felt like i was working much harder to maintain my normal pace and my quads were feeling it too by the end, felt more like a hardish 10 miler in all honesty at the end. I'd say if you were injured or carrying a bit of weight these would be a good choice, or as a short recovery run they would be great. Definitely not for longer distances or racing in in my opinion.

My React Infinities feel positively firm and responsive by comparison, I'll stick with them for my longer runs and keep the ZoomX for slow short runs and when i've a niggle and running very slow and short.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

something that soft won't last that long in terms of cushioning miles.

Advertisement