Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DUBLIN IS TOTALLY UNLIVABLE **Mod Warning In Post #671**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Liam32123 wrote: »
    From your answers I assume you are all locals

Take a walk with your children from Capel Street to Croppies Acre Memorial Park at 7pm and get me updated

Self-criticism is a rare commodity, and I assume the rule here is to proceed with keyboard sarcasm and bullying to address the problem

Did you just claim someone having a different opinion is bullying you.

Wow think that says all we needed to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

I only went to Dublin once. To get yeast from the Irish Yeast Company. As soon as I got off the bus, a junkie shot me in the brains. I was killed. Dead over yeast. Kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Read some articles about rising crime waves in nyc, la, chicago , any american city,
    it makes dublin look like a quiet paradise.

theres 100s of shops empty and closed .i think there should be rules about keeping shop fronts clean and painted .

i understand if you arrive here from a small town dublin will be a total culture shock.
    one good thing is the increase in bike lanes .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Hello Moto GP

Benefits of living outside Dublin for me:

10 minute drive to work with parking.
    Property less than half the price.
    Zero traffic or been cramed in on a Luas or Dart.

The only positive I see is having the Aviva, Croke Park and places like the the three arena for concerts which are only an 80 min spin for me.

I dont understand the benefits of living in Dublin, I really don't. It offers basically nothing but over other good towns and cities across Ireland.

The only positive I see is having the Aviva, Croke Park and places like the the three arena for concerts which are only an 80 min spin for me.

I dont understand the benefits of living in Dublin, I really don't. It offers basically nothing but over other good towns and cities across Ireland.

The airport is close so we can get away from Dublin.

Dublin has some great suburbs. The inner city I can take or leave.

• Advertisement

The airport is close so we can get away from Dublin.

Dublin has some great suburbs. The inner city I can take or leave.

Airport is an 80 min spin for me, not too bad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

riclad wrote: »
    Read some articles about rising crime waves in nyc, la, chicago , any american city,
    it makes dublin look like a quiet paradise.

theres 100s of shops empty and closed .i think there should be rules about keeping shop fronts clean and painted .

i understand if you arrive here from a small town dublin will be a total culture shock.
    one good thing is the increase in bike lanes .

I'm from another country. It's the lack of proper refuse management that's the issue. I get the junkies and that sort of stuff. However tents and lack of bins, rubbish on the ground is pretty disgusting sight. I'm not saying towns are clean but in general it is a bit better.

It's not about being from a small town, it's being desensitised to filth.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Where do you live now? If you don't understand the benefits to some people of living in Dublin rather than a small town somewhere well you mustn't have thought about it that much.
    You also don't need a car here unless you need one for work, which is great.

Where do you live now? If you don't understand the benefits to some people of living in Dublin rather than a small town somewhere well you mustn't have thought about it that much.
    You also don't need a car here unless you need one for work, which is great.

Kilkenny City is where I decided on settling, now thats a great city for night life and everything else.

I'd rather chop of one my arms than use public transport around Dublin City.

Kilkenny City is where I decided on settling, now thats a great city for night life and everything else.

KK is nice but to me is tiny though, I'd need more variety. Not everyone minds using public transport here, I'm lucky enough to live near the Dart and bus routes and they're grand. Just saying that you may not like it and never live here but many others do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

Aren't you the same poster who on another thread is saying you can't hack life here and are moving abroad?

HBC08 wrote: »
    Aren't you the same poster who on another thread is saying you can't hack life here and are moving abroad?

Yep, still doesn't change the fact Dublin is a **** Hole.

I only went to Dublin once. To get yeast from the Irish Yeast Company. As soon as I got off the bus, a junkie shot me in the brains. I was killed. Dead over yeast. Kip.

Sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I dont understand the benefits of living in Dublin, I really don't.

The benifits are having an endless amount of choice, far more things to do in Dublin.
    When was Dublin a nice place to live in?

Its been a really nice place to live for many decades. Clearly theirs no shortage of people who want to live in Dublin

There’s a “London is a sh1thole” thread in your future.

Edit: maybe not under that username. Next one.

As someone said here before "Kilkenny is a city the same way PowerCity is a city", its a big village ffs, to compare it with Dublin is tantamount to trolling and life bans etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

Of course it's a horrible sh1thole,that's just a fact.

It just seems a bit disingenuous to be saying how great the place you live is and then at the same time you cant hack life there and are moving abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Vita nova

nullzero wrote: »
    No deluge of culchies in this thread talking about how much of a kip they know Dublin is?

Non nationals end up living in Dublin because the majority of jobs that attract people to come and live in another country are based in Dublin. Seems a simple enough thing to understand.
    Most of Dublin is fine but like every city or large town there are areas that could be described as very undesirable, however, if you as a Dubliner call people "culchies" then some of them are going to call Dublin a kip in return (and vice versa) even when they have no negative experiences... you're just the mirror image of those you criticise.

As for the second part of your reply, it doesn't really address the OP's post, experience or concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Vita nova wrote: »
    As for the second part of your reply, it doesn't really address the OP's post, experience or concerns.

In fairness most of the OP was riddiculous anyway. Dublin does have some negiatives but so does every other city.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

Most of Dublin is fine but like every city or large town there are areas that could be described as very undesirable, however, if you as a Dubliner call people "culchies" then some of them are going to call Dublin a kip in return (and vice versa) even when they have no negative experiences... you're just the mirror image of those you criticise.

How is 'Culchie' a slur? You would be surprised how many Dubs use it without any negative attributes. I have never used it in that way. It's hardly the 'N' word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Vita nova

How is 'Culchie' a slur? You would be surprised how many Dubs use it without any negative attributes. I have never used it in that way. It's hardly the 'N' word.
    You only have to google the term to see that many consider it a pejorative term for a rural dweller and a synonym for an unsophisticated countryperson and if one uses it as a collective term for people simply because of where they come from then that usage could certainly be considered a regional slur. Even when not used disparagingly, it can still be seen as a disparaging them-and-us type term.

You only have to google the term to see that many consider it a pejorative term for a rural dweller and a synonym for an unsophisticated countryperson and if one uses it as a collective term for people simply because of where they come from then that usage could certainly be considered a regional slur. Even when not used disparagingly, it can still be seen as a disparaging them-and-us type term.

To be fair the rest of the country seems to despise us and our city and threads about how terrible it is pop up regularly, and also the Jackeen and West Brit stuff.
    There's nowhere in Ireland I would actively dislike, so be glad all you have to endure is the stupid C word from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Dublin is not a **** hole.

Every couple of months this type of thread pops up and its full of people moaning about saying its infested with junkies and covered in **** and piss. For **** sake, imagine some of the poor bastards on here if they were forced to endure an actual ****hole (like mullingar for instance)

Liam32123 wrote: »
    Dublin (at least the city center) has become literally unlivable, especially for foreign people who don't have their family here. There are street fights on all sides; people taking crack and heroin on every corner;
    you have to do the slalom between excrements to walk; police totally absent and if you try to report a fact to the people in charge they consider you as the problem. Women certainly risk walking alone. Most of all, there is a total absence of values

It feels like living in a nightmare

If you head off home on your bicycle with a bag full of hamsangitches and a pint of milk to keep you going, your mammy will have the ham and cabbage ready by the time you get there.

The dirty oul’ town will be grand without you. No need to hurry back.

i,ll take dublin anyday over living in a small irish town with 3 pubs and 3 supermarkets .

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Halenvaneddie

When the sun hits it just right, there is nowhere like it

riclad wrote: »
    i,ll take dublin anyday over living in a small irish town with 3 pubs and 3 supermarkets .

That’s a lot of supermarkets.

A lot of country towns have better facilities than the average Dublin suburb though. That said if you live in a good suburb with good transport as I do Dublin is great. Or the centre maybe but I’ve never felt the need for that.

Dublin in the 80s was alot worse , very few new buildings,
    Alot of old buildings falling down. No luas. Mass unemployment. Emigration
    Not many shopping centres
    Now we have new hotels and offices being built.
    Tech company's with large offices here

Now dublin is a modern city.
    Its not perfect it has the problems of most citys
    Traffic jams crime homeless people on the streets
    And it has a widely diverse population with many non nationals living here which is a plus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

It hasn’t been the same since poor Molly Malone passed on. A little bit of Dublin died with her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I'd only be in Dublin maybe once a year, and mo, not on December 8th, but have always had a positive experience there.
    Yes there's probably junkies, not enough police patrols and I did once witness a guy pull a tool from underneath his coat cut the lock on the bike and cycle it away, I've never seen any other dofgy stuff.
    Have even had only positive experiences on the luas.
    Still wouldn't live there though:)

Advertisement