Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Windows 10

1565758596062»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

They said years ago that Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows. Maybe they're going back on that but I don't see why they would. It's probably just a big update and visual overhaul for Windows 10.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It’s just the 21H2 version of Windows 10. They’re probably going to put more stuff from the control panel in the settings app and call it a day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

5uspect wrote: »
    It’s just the 21H2 version of Windows 10. They’re probably going to put more stuff from the control panel in the settings app and call it a day.

A whole new look for it as well. Hopefully more consistent and finished than the rollout of Fluent, which looked great, but the fact that only 5% of the OS had it seriously undermined the point of it.

Regardless, I'm sure that there's still going to be loads of Windows 3.1 visuals in it..... Never change Microsoft, never change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Well Hello Windows 11. Even though you're not finished yet. You're looking good so far. :D

In more serious mode now; even though this preview is not a final version of Windows 11 as it was a leak given out somewhere on the internet. There is still some things to be ironed out before it's worldwide launch which will happen on Thursday of next week.

But other than that. It's not a bad looking OS at all. It looks like it's a big improvement over Windows 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

It sure looks a whole lot more integrated in terms of UI design at least, seems like its an attempt to rip off the band aid to have a huge UI overhaul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Brian017

Enabled svm in the bios and now I’m greeted with the Windows Setup on boot. Is there a way to get back my installation of windows or am I going to have to reinstall it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Never understood exactly why MS went with the "this is the final version of Windows" thing. I mean I never believed it for a single second. But just what they thought they were getting out of that "reveal" remains a mystery.

I hated 10. Stayed with 7 for as long as was possible. I've made my peace with 10 in the last year, but that was only after using 'Shutup 10' to knock off some of the more annoying aspects of the OS. There's still a number of small things that constantly irritate me though. Windows not remembering their position or right clicking to bring up a window that will suddenly disappear a second later meaning you have to right click again to bring the window back up.

Anyway, I'll probably hang onto 10 until they stop supporting it. Once thing I do actually like about it is that it'll use all of my RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I still have one desktop running Windows 7 and since the HSE fiasco I was going to update it to Windows 10 but I am wondering now if I should hold off until the arrival of Windows 11. When might we see the arrival of Windows 11 to the market?

It is a pretty powerful machine with an i5-6600K and 16GB of RAM machine plus a 512GB SSD. I built it back in 2016 and went with Windows 7 since Windows 8 was horrid at the time and Windows 10 was still in its infancy and everyone was criticizing it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

theguzman wrote: »
    I still have one desktop running Windows 7 and since the HSE fiasco I was going to update it to Windows 10 but I am wondering now if I should hold off until the arrival of Windows 11. When might we see the arrival of Windows 11 to the market?

It is a pretty powerful machine with an i5-6600K and 16GB of RAM machine plus a 512GB SSD. I built it back in 2016 and went with Windows 7 since Windows 8 was horrid at the time and Windows 10 was still in its infancy and everyone was criticizing it.

You may as well upgrade to 10. I don't know why you've waited this long to be honest. Windows 11 is coming at the end of the year I think but looks like it may not support anything older than an 8th Intel so may not work on your computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

The rollout is planned for late 2021 into 2022 afaik.

Unless your desktop has secure boot and TPM 2.0 it won't run 11 anyway.

You can download the PC health check app from this page and it will tell you.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Hoagy wrote: »
    The rollout is planned for late 2021 into 2022 afaik.

Unless your desktop has secure boot and TPM 2.0 it won't run 11 anyway.

You can download the PC health check app from this page and it will tell you.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11

Thanks, I tried it just now but it only works on Windows 10 :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

theguzman wrote: »
    Thanks, I tried it just now but it only works on Windows 10 :pac:
    run tpm.msc and check BIOS / specs on manufactures site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

" The Processor isn't supported for Windows 11" :( i7-7700K

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭FGR

I wonder will MS back down on the TPM and UEFI requirements? It's sad to see such a huge amount of tech being made obsolete by software simply not supporting it even though it's more than capable of running it.

Don't get me wrong - phone manufacturers have been guilty of this for years. Apple has done it with Mac systems - but one of the perks of windows was that you could keep your 10 year old computer going strong with just a small upgrade here and there.

If they don't back down on these requirements I at least hope they give Windows 10 users a decent Fall 2021 update and introduce some of the visual spectacle. Kind of like how they did with Windows Phone 7 users on models that weren't getting 8.

I plan on using this comp until it dies.

FGR wrote: »
    I wonder will MS back down on the TPM and UEFI requirements? It's sad to see such a huge amount of tech being made obsolete by software simply not supporting it even though it's more than capable of running it.

Don't get me wrong - phone manufacturers have been guilty of this for years. Apple has done it with Mac systems - but one of the perks of windows was that you could keep your 10 year old computer going strong with just a small upgrade here and there.

If they don't back down on these requirements I at least hope they give Windows 10 users a decent Fall 2021 update and introduce some of the visual spectacle. Kind of like how they did with Windows Phone 7 users on models that weren't getting 8.

I plan on using this comp until it dies.

They could just allow the upgrade to happen but put up loads of warning messages during the usual process and not officially support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Locked out of my computer. Windows 10 update did it I think.

Anytime I request a new password, I am given a 6 digit code via email, then I reset the password, then the new password doesn't work when I put it in.

Please help. Thanks in advance.

It's possible the computer isn't getting the new password when you reset it and it's stuck on an old one.

I don't know. I had a similar issue with the command prompt from the recovery options. I just kept guessing old passwords until I got it right. I honestly can't believe a bug like this exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mossie

This happened me too and it wasn't a recent previous password but one from a few years ago, probably from when I installed windows 10 first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

My password was from at least a year ago. I only realised it was looking for the old one when I googled it and found someone else with the same issue. It's mad that that bug hasn't been sorted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Remember on how clicking on the current window tab on the taskbar minimised the current window to show you the previous window you viewed?

It doesn't seem to happen now on Windows 10 Pro, and it really is interfering with my muscle memory.

Thanks so much guys for your help. I will let you know if I get it fixed.

How I can repair Windows Update within Windows 10? I have two error codes in it after trying to upgrade from 1607 to 20H2. They are 0x80004005 & 0x80004790. Any help would be good. TIA.

Edge Chromium 94 has got a new Microsoft Office sidebar that should be included on your new tabs page.

You can read these instructions on how to switch it on or to remove it altogether.

Click on the gear icon in the new tabs page called Page Settings. Click on Custom in the drop down menu.

If Office Sidebar is included as option in the drop down menu. Switch the hover to On or Off.

You can also click on the bottom of it to click Hide Sidebar to switch it off.

Advertisement