Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor asked to remove underwear....

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Furasta wrote: »
    Honesty how you can become a lawyer and not think about situations like this is beyond me.....

When I trained to be a solicitor there wasn't any training on what underwear to wear to the office. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,731 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I get a sense that she, a solicitor, was outraged at being subject to the same security protocols as prison visitors and prison staff.

Because solicitors would never break the law!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,190 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Mav11 wrote: »
    I don’t know how you can come to the conclusion that prison staff made a balls of the situation. It seems to me that they acted perfectly and impartiality within the parameters of the security protocols.

Havent come to any conclusions at all.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Hogzy wrote: »
    When I trained to be a solicitor there wasn't any training on what underwear to wear to the office. :rolleyes:

Don't think her office is in the prison is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭mikethecop

did they cover prison visits ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Mav11

Blaaz_ wrote: »
    Even if its againest irish prision service policy

Looks to me,someone is getting suspended

And rightly so. That solicitor should have been suspended immediately for acting so unprofessionally. Thank god prison staff refused to listen to her old guff.

Havent come to any conclusions at all.

Apologies. Fixed the post.

Yeah it is made out like the perp... I mean client was watching, it's going to be a woman checking and that's life
    Have only read a few pages of the thread (had to give up after a few pages), so maybe this has been pointed out -- but, the engagement occurred in front of a group of men. Anyone can see how that could be humiliating, if you imagine your wife/ girlfriend or daughter in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Became solicitors would never break the law!

God bless your innocence. :pac:

Completely stupid decision by the staff.

The obvious solution was to search the prisoner thoroughly after the visit, rather than putting someone just there to do their job in a humiliating position.

• Advertisement

And rightly so. That solicitor should have been suspended immediately for acting so unprofessionally. Thank god prison staff refused to listen to her old guff.

hmm....looks to me someone in prision staff overstepped the mark
    The Irish Prison Service (IPS) said today that "it is not the policy of the Irish Prison Service to request any person to remove under garments in order to gain admittance to a prison.

All theres left in light of this,is whether this solictior will settle for an apology,looks to me,if she wants, to push it,the irish tax payer will shouldering cost of a payout for over-zealous staff here

Blaaz_ wrote: »
    hmm....looks to me someone in prision staff overstepped the mark

All theres left in light of this,is whether this solictior will settle for an apology,looks to me,if she wants, to push it,the irish tax payer will shouldering cost of a payout for over-zealous staff here

“The solicitor said she was then told she would not be able to enter the prison if the monitor continued to sound, "so I would have to take my underwear off had I wanted to gain access"”

It seems to me that the only thing that she was told was that she couldn’t enter while the alarm was sounding. She seemed to have inferred herself that she would have to remove the bra if she wanted to get in and was helpfully informed if she wished to do this she could use a bathroom.

It seems to me that the only thing that she was told was that she couldn’t enter while the alarm was sounding. She seemed to have inferred herself that she would have to remove the bra if she wanted to get in
    No, it says in the article she was asked about her underwear with 5 men standing there.

The exact quote was "Are you wearing any underwear?"

No, it says in the article she was asked about her underwear with 5 men standing there.

A helpful suggestion as to what might be triggering the alarm?.

A helpful suggestion as to what might be triggering the alarm?.

Hmm. If I were a prison guard, I would simply ask if someone can think of anything on their person that is setting off the alarm.

"Are you wearing any underwear?" isn't a question that would dawn on most people.

Not really complicated, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Don't think her office is in the prison is it?

Yup, they did, and we visited a prison aswell. None of us were subjected to that level of search.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

“The solicitor said she was then told she would not be able to enter the prison if the monitor continued to sound, "so I would have to take my underwear off had I wanted to gain access"”

It seems to me that the only thing that she was told was that she couldn’t enter while the alarm was sounding. She seemed to have inferred herself that she would have to remove the bra if she wanted to get in and was helpfully informed if she wished to do this she could use a bathroom.

If the quality of writing in the article was better, we would be able to know if she inferred she should take off her bra or if she was told to take it off. As it stands, all the arguements happening here are pointless, as the differing opinions are based on differing interpretations of the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

That’s how I read it too - as a female I totally get where she is coming from - who wants to discuss their underwear in front of 5 male strangers. Also felt sorry for her re trying to cover up with her jacket - who wants their nipples visible in a male dominated work environment FFS and unless she had a vest and a fairly thick jumper on it’s practically a given that they were. Work attire does very very little to cover the fact that you are braless to be fair.

I have on occasions had to enter Irish prisons for work purposes. I know that before I rock up to the security scanners that I cannot have concealed metal on me or other items such as USB keys. She should have also been aware of these requirements.

A number of years ago I broke my leg and had to get some metalware inserted. The prison scanners will be set off as a result and I have to roll up the leg of my trousers to allow the hand held wand directly on the skin to show that I am not hiding anything. I would be very disappointed if others, regardless of their gender were treated differently. It would represent a security failure and lack of professionalism by the IPS if it were any different.

Hmm. If I were a prison guard, I would simply ask if someone can think of anything on their person that is setting off the alarm.

"Are you wearing any underwear?" isn't a question that would dawn on most people.

Not really complicated, is it?

Crossed posts see above.

I was asked had I metal in my leg. I said yes. Not really complicated at all is it?

• Advertisement

Crossed posts see above.

I was asked had I metal in my leg. I said yes. Not really complicated at all is it?

Really? So they asked you about metal pins or plates in your leg? Wow, that's specific.

Did they not ask if you're wearing any underwear?

Kinda seems like the more obvious question would be "is there anything on your body comprised of metal?", but these prison guards, they sound like they are highly specific.

Really? So they asked you about metal pins or plates in your leg? Wow, that's specific.

Did they not ask if you're wearing any underwear?

Kinda seems like the more obvious question would be "is there anything on your body comprised of metal?", but these prison guards, they sound like they are highly specific.

Specificity born from experience. These officers know their business, saves a lot of time, grief and contraband getting into our prisons.

No need to ask what I was wearing on my body, but I imagine to some, to be asked what was in my body would be considered far more invasive, undignified and worthy of an attack of the vapors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,190 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Rule of Acquisition 190

Hear all, trust nothing.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Rule of Acquisition 190

Hear all, trust nothing.

But never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Yup, they did, and we visited a prison aswell. None of us were subjected to that level of search.

you should have been,

even if you weren't expecting to be left alone with a prisoner for a private consultation

still seems like a in person prison visit in the middle of last year could have been done over the phone or via video line ,

wonder if there is much of a difference between the two when it comes to billing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Not sure about billing, but no doubt they'd use the "line is being monitored" excuse. Let's just make it like America, a room divided in 2 by Perspex and a phone to talk to each other through the glass. Wouldn't have to remove anything then.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Fallout2022

It's important to have a good brief.

Advertisement