Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Irish media hysteria

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    I saw one that said deaths in the UK amongst the vaccinated were "up 30%" as a result of delta. By which they meant a rise from 9 to 12 people (out of about 45 million who've had a vaccine )

It's strange isn't it.

Anybody sharing a story about someone dropping dead within a week of having the vaccine is scaremongering.

Yet 12 people out of 45 million dying is meant to warn us that the vaccine may not work, when it appears it essentially works as well as it did on the Kent and Wuhan variants, and we were always told anyway that there will always be an unllucky handful of people, but a small one, who succumb to the virus and die regardless.

It is psychological warfare, but it is far from new.

I'm in my mid 30's. Off the top of my head, in my lifetime

- Chernobyl would result in Europe wide birth defects.

- Ebola. I recall this scare from the mid 90's, it had made it all the way to Italy

- BSE/ CJD would eventually kill up to a million Brits. Tragic as it was it killed in the low hundreds.

- you could probably catch AIDS off a toilet seat according to the guff being pedaled in the 80's

- post 9/11, Al Quaeda had acquired hundreds of Stinger anti aircraft missiles left behind by the Russians in Afghanistan, and had probably bought nuclear suitcases/ dirty bomb material/ bio weapons from skint Russian servicemen. This was 20 years ago- Islamists have went from James Bond level stuff like 9/11 to having to resort to knives and car ramming attacks.

- Euro 2020 is the first sports tournament in I don't know how long where there wasn't a hype about some existential threat to it. Euro 2018- ISIS would run amok. WC 2016- Brazillian street gangs would mug and murder tourists. Euro 2012- racist Polish/ Ukranian fans would hang black and gay supporters from lamposts. WC 2010 South Africa- see WC 2016 Brazil. And so on and so on and so on.

The film The Butcher Boy is a brilliant take on the paranoia and fear that gripped a small Irish town during the lead up to the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Little has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

You are forgetting the famous Weapons of Mass destruction....which led to a war.

They were pimping a war with North Korea not so long ago as well.

You are forgetting the famous Weapons of Mass destruction....which led to a war.

They were pimping a war with North Korea not so long ago as well.

Christ how did I forget. Saddam apparently had a germ tipped rocket that could be fired at London on 30 minutes notice.

It actually struck me, seeing petrol at a whopping 1.50 a litre now, the biggest news story of 2020 prior to Covid was the attack on the Saudi oil refinery that for all the hype only put petrol up a couple of cent at the time. We were told we would be strangled for months with high prices.

We were also apparently imminently headed for WW III when Trump ha the Iranian general whacked in Baghdad.

These minor scare stories seem a lifetime ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

What riles me is the vague bits of doom that lack context and statistics. All through the last few months:

"cases have more than doubled compared to this day last week". Figures will never be quoted. I've seen it last summer meaning 8 last Tuesday, 16 this Tuesday.

"In the UK hospitalisations, infections and deaths are on the rise"

How much of a rise? How many total Indian variant cases have there been, and how many hospitalisations have there been out of that, how many deaths, how many even felt sick?

Not a word on it, not a word.

Say 300,000 people catch the Indian variant, and 700 "die". Pick and monitor 300,000 random people for 28 days in a given year and, in a 28 day period, several hundred of them will die. X hundred thousand people having Covid and X amount of them dying is not a reflection of anything .

"More than X thousand frontline medical staff have been infected" at no point in the last 15 months have I seen it stated how many frontline meical staff are employed in Ireland.

I have seen plenty of scares about bed capacity, how many are occupying beds- not a single report on how many bed spaces Ireland has, and what the average occupancy rate is per month.

We don't get given numbers in context, we get thrown words like double, rising, infections.

'UK hospitalisations have broken 1,000 from 4 weeks ago"

When I read that pure cynicism made me say to myself 'I bet they were probably around 900 4 weeks ago'. By coincidence I read today thats exactly what they were. But of course 'broken 1,000' ticks all the boxes. Sounds terrifying out of context to people already worked up after 14 months of this barrage of doom and also not being a lie.

Thats what they're at all the time. Find the most terrifying snippet/description that couldnt quite be accused of being a lie.

Also heard on BBC news today that most of these hospitalisations are actually kids being brought to hospital by concerned parents (which is understandable I guess) with mild symptoms when they could really just leave them in bed for a couple of days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

More Indo scaremongering. Doesn’t even try to justify headline in the article

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/rumbles-from-eu-suggest-tighter-covid-travel-curbs-may-follow-40600511.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Warbeastrior

The majority of the mainstream media are an absolute disgrace.
    Playing on people's fears. Despicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,984 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's the culture of fear, and the media love it as it sells papers or gets clicks.

They have been doing it for decades, and nothing ever changes.

RTE and their Truth Matters campaign they promote is just laughable when you see how they having been hyping COVID this last 15 months. They never want it to end. Nor do Nphet. It's keeping so many people relevant.

You always know the figures need closer attention when they use percentages, as real figures wouldn't scare. As people have mentioned, if they say "ICU numbers are up 50%" is scary, but saying numbers are up from 14 to 21 doesn't have the same effect.

I've heard this statiscian guy Pete Lunn on Matt Cooper various times talking absolute bollix about the findings of the surveys he does.

Apparently we don't find life so bad, we think the government and NPHET have done a pretty good job and during the restrictions from January to April the vast majority of us were 100% abiding by every restriction.

The only one I abided by was staying home from work, because the government effectively sacked me. I stuck to the common sense ones, but not meeting friends, 5km, go and phuck yourself Tony.

Proud to say I deleted the Covid app once the majority of the elderly had received their first dose. If they thought I was taking more time off work because I was two seats away on the bus from somebody who may have received a false positive test NPHET could, again, phuck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

It's strange isn't it.

Anybody sharing a story about someone dropping dead within a week of having the vaccine is scaremongering.

Yet 12 people out of 45 million dying is meant to warn us that the vaccine may not work, when it appears it essentially works as well as it did on the Kent and Wuhan variants, and we were always told anyway that there will always be an unllucky handful of people, but a small one, who succumb to the virus and die regardless.

It is psychological warfare, but it is far from new.

I'm in my mid 30's. Off the top of my head, in my lifetime

- Chernobyl would result in Europe wide birth defects.

- Ebola. I recall this scare from the mid 90's, it had made it all the way to Italy

- BSE/ CJD would eventually kill up to a million Brits. Tragic as it was it killed in the low hundreds.

- you could probably catch AIDS off a toilet seat according to the guff being pedaled in the 80's

- post 9/11, Al Quaeda had acquired hundreds of Stinger anti aircraft missiles left behind by the Russians in Afghanistan, and had probably bought nuclear suitcases/ dirty bomb material/ bio weapons from skint Russian servicemen. This was 20 years ago- Islamists have went from James Bond level stuff like 9/11 to having to resort to knives and car ramming attacks.

- Euro 2020 is the first sports tournament in I don't know how long where there wasn't a hype about some existential threat to it. Euro 2018- ISIS would run amok. WC 2016- Brazillian street gangs would mug and murder tourists. Euro 2012- racist Polish/ Ukranian fans would hang black and gay supporters from lamposts. WC 2010 South Africa- see WC 2016 Brazil. And so on and so on and so on.

The film The Butcher Boy is a brilliant take on the paranoia and fear that gripped a small Irish town during the lead up to the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Little has changed.

Don't forget Trump would cause WW3.

Make no mistake the media love to pimp end of times guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

faceman wrote: »

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/rumbles-from-eu-suggest-tighter-covid-travel-curbs-may-follow-40600511.html

Pure scaremongering

• Advertisement

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Don't forget Trump would cause WW3.

Make no mistake the media love to pimp end of times guff.

Whatever happened to the Zika virus shrunken headed babies that were going to be born in Brazil in 2014?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,577 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

faceman wrote: »

Irrationally terrifying an already terrified readership - The Indo once was a rational newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Irish news paper heads are worse today compared to UK where covid bearly gets a mention

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I've heard this statiscian guy Pete Lunn on Matt Cooper various times talking absolute bollix about the findings of the surveys he does.

Apparently we don't find life so bad, we think the government and NPHET have done a pretty good job and during the restrictions from January to April the vast majority of us were 100% abiding by every restriction.

The only one I abided by was staying home from work, because the government effectively sacked me. I stuck to the common sense ones, but not meeting friends, 5km, go and phuck yourself Tony.

Proud to say I deleted the Covid app once the majority of the elderly had received their first dose. If they thought I was taking more time off work because I was two seats away on the bus from somebody who may have received a false positive test NPHET could, again, phuck off.

Yeah I completely ignored the 5k, I used common sense and could see assholes spreading Covid and other assholes following guidelines to the letter

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

RTE 10am daily scaremongering led by CB

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

https://twitter.com/IrishTimesWorld/...297819655?s=20

Look at this rubbish headline. If you actually read the article then you'll learn the following.

-tested 40 hours before the event
    - tests weren't supervised so were naturally tampered with and certs were screenshot and shared around
    - certs were given out straight after vaccination as opposed to the recommended 2 weeks

This is the sort of crap that NPHET will use as an example against the use of anti gen testing and the "dangers" still there after vaccination.

The headline should be "Dutch nightclub ****s up test event"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭KaneToad

This "guy" is a research professor in the ESRI:

"Pete Lunn is the founder and head of the ESRI’s Behavioural Research Unit. A behavioural economist, he holds degrees in Philosophy & Psychology, Neuroscience and Economics. Pete’s primary research interest is economic decision-making and, in particular, how people negotiate trade-offs."

The surveys he conducts are scientific and produce results with quantifiable margins of error. They involve appropriate sample sizes.

You might not agree with the opinions of the majority in the population he samples...but that does not mean his findings are "bollix".

What research have you conducted to contradict his/ESRI's findings?

KaneToad wrote: »
    This "guy" is a research professor in the ESRI:

"Pete Lunn is the founder and head of the ESRI’s Behavioural Research Unit. A behavioural economist, he holds degrees in Philosophy & Psychology, Neuroscience and Economics. Pete’s primary research interest is economic decision-making and, in particular, how people negotiate trade-offs."

The surveys he conducts are scientific and produce results with quantifiable margins of error. They involve appropriate sample sizes.

You might not agree with the opinions of the majority in the population he samples...but that does not mean his findings are "bollix".

What research have you conducted to contradict his/ESRI's findings?

What research? His surveys give results that would be similar to surveys on Kim's popularity conducted in Pyongyang.

Imagine actually believing that a majority of people have coped well and think the government did the best they could.

rob316 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/IrishTimesWorld/...297819655?s=20

Look at this rubbish headline. If you actually read the article then you'll learn the following.

-tested 40 hours before the event
    - tests weren't supervised so were naturally tampered with and certs were screenshot and shared around
    - certs were given out straight after vaccination as opposed to the recommended 2 weeks

This is the sort of crap that NPHET will use as an example against the use of anti gen testing and the "dangers" still there after vaccination.

The headline should be "Dutch nightclub ****s up test event"

Don't suppose we will have a report on how many deaths in the wider community resulted from this event.

Zero isn't an exciting clickbait number after all.

What research? His surveys give results that would be similar to surveys on Kim's popularity conducted in Pyongyang.

Imagine actually believing that a majority of people have coped well and think the government did the best they could.

Do you understand how surveys work?

A representative sample of the population is asked a set of questions. The answers to these questions are collated and, with a margin of error, are used to extrapolate the opinion of a population.

Are you questioning the ESRIs methodologies? If so, what specifically are they doing incorrectly?

Your North Korea quips are amusing but don't add anything to the debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

As someone who broadly supports the concept of public service broadcasting, I've become increasingly irritated by RTE's coverage of the pandemic.

There's now no question in my mind that ALL RTE presenters have been directed to take an editorial line that does not question the NPHET advice. I'm not necessarily being critical here, but how does a broadcaster like RTE with a public service remit provide balanced coverage of a pandemic? In a general election or referendum, it's probably easier to provide balance and equal time to all sides, but in a pandemic? How does RTE decide what's credible or not? But having said that, their assessment of risk in relation to Covid-19 seems to have become skewed far too much on the side of being ultra-cautious.

RTE starts in the morning with Morning Ireland where Aine Lawlor and Mary Wilson's breathless hysterical coverage has become increasingly grating, in particular with regard to the Delta variant. There was an item a few weeks ago about an 'outbreak' from a party outside on the banks of the Shannon, and it was presented as a doomsday scenario with dire consequences. I'm not sure those dire consequences have materialised. The coverage presented by the likes of Claire Byrne and George Lee has been discussed at length.

Where the coverage extends outside the current affairs department is where you can really notice the editorial policy. I was listening to Sunday Sport on Radio 1 a few Sundays ago, and there was a discussion between Darren Frehill, Jackie Hurley and John Mullane about the restrictions on fans allowed to attend the Clare v Waterford Munster championship match. Mullane was saying it was crazy that only 200 were allowed to attend, or maybe there were none allowed at all. The RTE sports presenters hummed and hawwed, and basically said that we must listen to the experts and that if NPHET recommended that attendance, then they must be right. So even the non-current affairs RTE presenters can't express a contrary opinion to the government/NPHET. It was quite revealing I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Ha, RTE sport have a story about the England cricket team as one of their top stories this morning. The Ireland cricket team barely gets a look in from RTE, have never seen them publish a single story about the England cricket team (I'm not complaining, why would they). Today's story? Covid outbreak in the England squad currently preparing to face Pakistan in England this month leading to them picking an entirely new squad. All of a sudden English cricket is newsworthy to them.

Ha, RTE sport have a story about the England cricket team as one of their top stories this morning. The Ireland cricket team barely gets a look in from RTE, have never seen them publish a single story about the England cricket team (I'm not complaining, why would they). Today's story? Covid outbreak in the England squad currently preparing to face Pakistan in England this month leading to them picking an entirely new squad. All of a sudden English cricket is newsworthy to them.

July 3rd 2021
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/cricket/2021/0703/1232864-robinson-can-resume-england-career-after-
    June 9th 2021
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/cricket/2021/0609/1227073-england-cricketers-committed-to-improving-as-people/
    june 6th 2021
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/cricket/2021/0606/1226385-robinson-suspended-for-historic-racist-sexist-posts/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Lol, you found the cricket section on rte sport I see. Fair play to you, I never even knew they had one because I never click past the front page of rte sport and they absolutely never have England cricket stories as headline news items.

None of those stories you linked to are actually about cricket by the way, they're about a social media scandal. England have just completed both an ODI and a T20 series against Sri Lanka, see any mention of those on the rte cricket section? Why do you think anyone in Ireland cares about England's preparations for their upcoming Pakistan series if they don't even want to read about the team's recent results? It was a blatantly obvious editorial decision to push the story as headline sports news here because of its relation to covid rather than its sporting content.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Capture.png

KaneToad wrote: »

Are you questioning the ESRIs methodologies? If so, what specifically are they doing incorrectly?

In March or so he was claiming that his surveys were indicating that a vast majority of the population were fully complying with all restrictions. As in living like complete hermits, no going beyond 5km, no visiting friend's homes etc etc.

His surveys have found that a majority of people think Micheal Martin has done a good job with the whole thing.

It's hard to find anybody within the FF parliamentary party who thinks MM has done a competent job, but this lad has found a majority of them among a population who have been deliberately, for the sick pleasure and humour and career aspirations of individuals in NPHET and the cabinet, been abused, mocked, deprived of income and liberty, who have been repeatedly thrown scraps of hope on reopening only to have them taken away again (the pubs have now been snatched from us at the brink of re opening twice, once in August last year, then last week, plus closed on Christmas Eve when they were meant to open until at least New Years Day).

If you have met any of these people I'd love to hear about it. Let's be honest, a lot of people wish they had died of Covid than lived through the last 15 months. What has been the point in even existing?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Pdoghue wrote: »
    As someone who broadly supports the concept of public service broadcasting, I've become increasingly irritated by RTE's coverage of the pandemic.

There's now no question in my mind that ALL RTE presenters have been directed to take an editorial line that does not question the NPHET advice. I'm not necessarily being critical here, but how does a broadcaster like RTE with a public service remit provide balanced coverage of a pandemic? In a general election or referendum, it's probably easier to provide balance and equal time to all sides, but in a pandemic? How does RTE decide what's credible or not? But having said that, their assessment of risk in relation to Covid-19 seems to have become skewed far too much on the side of being ultra-cautious.

RTE starts in the morning with Morning Ireland where Aine Lawlor and Mary Wilson's breathless hysterical coverage has become increasingly grating, in particular with regard to the Delta variant. There was an item a few weeks ago about an 'outbreak' from a party outside on the banks of the Shannon, and it was presented as a doomsday scenario with dire consequences. I'm not sure those dire consequences have materialised. The coverage presented by the likes of Claire Byrne and George Lee has been discussed at length.

Where the coverage extends outside the current affairs department is where you can really notice the editorial policy. I was listening to Sunday Sport on Radio 1 a few Sundays ago, and there was a discussion between Darren Frehill, Jackie Hurley and John Mullane about the restrictions on fans allowed to attend the Clare v Waterford Munster championship match. Mullane was saying it was crazy that only 200 were allowed to attend, or maybe there were none allowed at all. The RTE sports presenters hummed and hawwed, and basically said that we must listen to the experts and that if NPHET recommended that attendance, then they must be right. So even the non-current affairs RTE presenters can't express a contrary opinion to the government/NPHET. It was quite revealing I thought.

I made a similar point in the radio forum.

RTE went from making a loss of €20m in 2019 to making a profit in 2020. The overriding reason was Covid.

They had a massive jump in advertising (for the HSE) and had reduced overheads as there was no events to cover, no OBs, no Olympics, Euros, Champions League, Eurovision, hardly no new programmes made etc.

That's why the presenters keep banging the same outdated message we've been hearing ad naseum for 16 months now.

Lol, you found the cricket section on rte sport I see. Fair play to you, I never even knew they had one because I never click past the front page of rte sport and they absolutely never have England cricket stories as headline news items.

None of those stories you linked to are actually about cricket by the way, they're about a social media scandal. England have just completed both an ODI and a T20 series against Sri Lanka, see any mention of those on the rte cricket section? Why do you think anyone in Ireland cares about England's preparations for their upcoming Pakistan series if they don't even want to read about the team's recent results? It was a blatantly obvious editorial decision to push the story as headline sports news here because of its relation to covid rather than its sporting content.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/cricket/2021/0306/1201367-englands-batsmen-wilt-again-as-india-seal-series-win/

https://www.rte.ie/sport/cricket/2021/0209/1195916-anderson-swing-leads-england-to-big-win-in-india/

https://www.rte.ie/sport/cricket/2021/0125/1191891-england-seal-series-win-over-sri-lanka-in-galle/

https://www.rte.ie/sport/cricket/2021/0118/1190373-england-claim-seven-wicket-win-in-sri-lanka/

A small bit of research avoids all these unnecessary fact checks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jayp2020

Forgive me for starting a thread if one already exists - I’ve read so many different threads and posts I’ve probably missed the obvious however...

It seems everyone is waiting daily for the 6pm figures to find out the latest cases and deaths situation. It’s scary to see how every single media outlet in this country is putting all their attention on this (yes, gloom sells). Not just RTE, but the other stations and every single paper has the latest on the front page in some form or another.

Contrast this to European media - search any of the national news channels or newspapers and you’ll find its never (usually) the top story. They are over the initial panic and are I guess realise they are in for the long haul with this virus.

People here are only obsessed with three things; deaths, cases and the “R” number. I’m not a Statistician or epidemiologist but a few weeks ago when there was concern and hype raised over the R number increasing beyond 1 on the basis of 20 odd cases or so made me completely lose faith in the strategy of the government/NPHET. 10mins reading about R numbers will prove it’s not an effective measurement with low numbers yet this was peddled across the media.

The fear-mongering of the Irish media is seriously starting to affect the mental health of the population - I’m sure everyone has witnessed it on a personal level either themselves or their friends/family. If you’re get stressed I highly recommend deleting the news apps, distract yourself around 6pm when you know the figures will be released, and try enjoy the last of the long days and sunshine because if the current media narrative continues, it’s going to be a miserable winter.

Ireland needs to evolve from our sheepish culture and learn to think outside the box and make our own opinions of matters. The media need to tone down the hysteria and the government need to realise this virus is here to stay so have to start making some difficult decisions against the ultra-conservative NPHET advice to safeguard the country.

Thoughts?

Completely agree. We're so out of step with the rest of the world and we can't even see it anymore due to the insular, hysterical media coverage.

• Advertisement

In March or so he was claiming that his surveys were indicating that a vast majority of the population were fully complying with all restrictions. As in living like complete hermits, no going beyond 5km, no visiting friend's homes etc etc.

His surveys have found that a majority of people think Micheal Martin has done a good job with the whole thing.

It's hard to find anybody within the FF parliamentary party who thinks MM has done a competent job, but this lad has found a majority of them among a population who have been deliberately, for the sick pleasure and humour and career aspirations of individuals in NPHET and the cabinet, been abused, mocked, deprived of income and liberty, who have been repeatedly thrown scraps of hope on reopening only to have them taken away again (the pubs have now been snatched from us at the brink of re opening twice, once in August last year, then last week, plus closed on Christmas Eve when they were meant to open until at least New Years Day).

If you have met any of these people I'd love to hear about it. Let's be honest, a lot of people wish they had died of Covid than lived through the last 15 months. What has been the point in even existing?

Ok, so you don't understand how surveys work.
    You're confusing your opinion/your mates opinions with that of a representative sample of the Irish population.

It's similar to the phenomenon where people insist that SF should really be in charge despite 75% of the electorate not voting for them.

Advertisement