Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solicitor asked to remove underwear....

Options
  • 06-07-2021 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭

Yes it's most likely click bait but hyberbole at its best.,.

She walked through the scanner, alarm sounded, continued to sound each time....

I certainly think in today's technological era she wouldn't even need to be there so it's absolutely bull.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40330067.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Furasta

Probably had a metal wire bra that she really shouldn't have been wearing to a prison or an airport as it will set off metal detectors. The staff did their job not allowing it in because it could be removed from the bra and passed to the prisoner and possibly used as a weapon.

Honesty how you can become a lawyer and not think about situations like this is beyond me.....

Drama much?????

I would bet a lot of money that her client is guilty of far far worse.

Furasta wrote: »
    Probably had a metal wire bra that she really shouldn't have been wearing to a prison or an airport as it will set off metal detectors. The staff did their job not allowing it in because it could be removed from the bra and passed to the prisoner and possibly used as a weapon.

Honesty how you can become a lawyer and not think about situations like this is beyond me.....

She shouldn't wear an underwire bra to prisons or airports?
    Are you for fecking real!!
    It's underwear, I have always wore a bra through airport security and at no stage ever did anyone have the cheek to tell me to take it off!
    Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭Augme

"undoubtedly one of the most traumatic experiences of my life".

She has had a very easy life so far anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

bubblypop wrote: »
    She shouldn't wear an underwire bra to prisons or airports?
    Are you for fecking real!!
    It's underwear, I have always wore a bra through airport security and at no stage ever did anyone have the cheek to tell me to take it off!
    Ridiculous.

But I've seen these, they would make a great weapon ....

Out of context there, fully appreciate what their application is for but just this has made news is unreal....

Augme wrote: »
    She has had a very easy life so far anyway.

Yeah it is made out like the perp... I mean client was watching, it's going to be a woman checking and that's life . Honestly where did she fall out of??? Antifa school or something

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Sounds like the prison guards were just following breast practice

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Furasta wrote: »
    Probably had a metal wire bra that she really shouldn't have been wearing to a prison or an airport as it will set off metal detectors.
    Not sure if this is a serious post. Have you never been on a plane?

Millions of people walk through metal detectors at airports every day. Underwire in bras is not an issue. Neither are zips on jackets, button and rivets on jeans, or any of the other metal items on clothes.

Maybe the prison machine is more expensive, but I'd be very surprised if dressed with out zips wires or pins. Metal is everywhere.

Could have had a burner up her wazoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

“Coming in to land and now, I
    Love the colour of it all”

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Cool story. She sounds a bit precious. But, I'll wait for the full facts as this is a loaded one sided article imo. There's no mention if it stopped going off once she removed it? Because if it was sounding while she was wearing it, and didn't sound when she wasn't... well, I'm no expert in the area, but that would sound like the bra was setting it off. Like, should they have just let her on regardless? I'm not going to get into possibilities, but there are possibilities so it's best to ensure the alarm doesn't go off before letting someone in. This is what it will hinge on imo. If the alarm stopped after the removal, then I don't think she has a case... And the article does say she continued and covered with a jacket, so I'm guessing the bra was the issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

I dont know why visitors arent seprated by a window with a mic/speaker set up, too easy for anyone to pass drugs or anything really.
    Are visitors searched? or is it allowable to search them or their personal items if they are on prison grounds? if items removed stopped an alarm occuring , can the item be checked for contraband? weapons or decoys for a setup? etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

The article doesn't make it clear if the male colleague who "had previously attended to visit the same client and the alarm sounded three times on passing through the scanner" was allowed through on three previous occasions even though the alarm sounded on each of the three occasions or whether it refers to one previous occasion when her male colleague had to pass through the scanner repeatedly and also was not allowed enter the prison until he passed through without the alarm sounding. If the latter I don't see how she was treated any differently to her male colleague and it's a lot of fuss about nothing.

Noone should ever be asked to remove their underwear.
    How many women do you see taking off their bras in airports?

If the machine is still alarming, a female prison officer could use the small handheld scanner, then a quick pat down.
    Not difficult, everyone understands, and no embarrassing or making a show of anyone

If the machine is still alarming, a female prison officer could use the small handheld scanner, then a quick pat down.
    Not difficult, everyone understands, and no embarrassing or making a show of anyone

Not many people try to smuggle phones up their jacksie through airports. Comparing prisons to airports is utterly ridiculous.

Not many people try to smuggle phones up their jacksie through airports. Comparing prisons to airports is utterly ridiculous.

You can turn off either end of the metal detector.
    So, just the bottom half is turned on, or vice versa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭irelandrover

You can turn off either end of the metal detector.
    So, just the bottom half is turned on, or vice versa

But the wire itself in the bra could be adapted to be thicker which could then be a weapon.

The scanner is there for safety reasons. They said they couldnt let her in if she set it off. they provided a private space she could remove it.

Its not like she was made get changed out in the open so they could observe her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

No-one is likely to make a shiv in an airport either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Incident happened on June 11th last year, so at the start of all the covid stuff. Maybe the officers had direction that they couldnt pat down people entering due to covid restrictions etc.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

storm in a B cup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

For very good reasons, sensitivity levels are set much higher (more sensitive) on the prisons scanners than at airports. As a professional entering a prison, she should have known this and removed the underwiring or wear non wired garments before she attempted to gain entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Yes it's most likely click bait but hyberbole at its best.,.

She walked through the scanner, alarm sounded, continued to sound each time....

I certainly think in today's technological era she wouldn't even need to be there so it's absolutely bull.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40330067.html

Specifically a bra

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No-one is likely to make a shiv in an airport either.

Or bring in box cutter knives...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Her male colleague got through without being asked to remove his underwear. Why is that relevant unless he was wearing boxers that underwired his ballcocks.

Some bang of attention seeking off of this whole incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭apache

Kimbot wrote: »
    Incident happened on June 11th last year, so at the start of all the covid stuff. Maybe the officers had direction that they couldnt pat down people entering due to covid restrictions etc.......
    That's exactly what happened. She shouldn't have been asked to take off her bra though. But there's no pat downs being done. The wand will detect the metal in the bra but what's not to say she hadn't got a phone tucked in there? Just saying.
    The correct procedure would have been not to facilitate her visit. Let her come back again with non underwired bra that won't set the metal detector off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Ahhh wake up people. Just some solicitor trying to make a big deal over something..... the words compensation come to mind.

The article uses great words to make it sound like she had to go through this horrible horrible odeal ..... while in reality she was setting off the metal detector and was then asked to remove a bra in the toilets. Not there on the spot so some guard would be wan*ing himself.
    Am sure if she was asked to recount what the guards were doing... one of them would have been sucking on a toothpick while rubbing his crotch as she undressed while crying :pac:

Mountain out of a mole hill.
    But that's the world we live in today. Everyone is a special little crumpet who'll twist anything for their own personal gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I previously knew someone serving a prison sentence, and have been a visitor at 3 different prisons on numerous occasions. They're strict with the security, obviously. You can't even bring your keys in. I wasn't ever allowed wear my Apple Watch in, because it's an electronic communication device. That said, I was with women when visiting that definitely would have been wearing underwire bras, and they never set off the sensors. Maybe it was the particular bra, or the particular sensor. Either way, you comply with the rules, or you don't get in. There's been Solicitors found smuggling stuff in to their clients in prisons, so it's not like she should get some special treatment.

Someone I know - who most definitely is not involved in drugs at all (they're the most straight laced person you could ever meet, and work in a job where they're tested regularly for safety reasons) - was prevented from visiting one day because the sniffer dog reacted when sniffing them. That was an instant refusal for entry. He was chatting to the handler after, and the guy said that it could have been just that he was sitting beside someone in the waiting room who'd recently smoked a joint. But once the dog reacts, doesn't matter who you are, that's it.

Another person I know was behind a young woman with a baby going into Mountjoy. Woman had a changing bag, which the guards asked for. She protested, saying it was just nappies and they shouldn't be searching her little baby's stuff. Sure enough when the bag went though the xray, it set it off and when they searched it, out came a 10 inch knife. How she thought she'd get away with that is anyone's guess, but she was hauled off.

People are taken for searches in airports because of the metal detector going off. My 6 year old was.

No one sees the women taking their bras off except the female officer searching her and no one saw this lady taking her bra off either.

Its a prison and it has strict rules that apply to us all. Jesus, yourself and myself cant even get in half the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Advertisement