Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dealer did not let us inspect the car - threatened to call Garda?

• 05-07-2021 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Summary : Visited him 1 week ago, ad suggested NCT was passed. It was wrong and he said to get it done as NCT failed for CV Joint and some headlight Defect. Travelled 1.5 hours from Dublin.

He cancelled NCT appointment for Thursday and misrepresented that NCT office cancelled appointment. Never-mind.

Met him on Sunday for delivery and he immediately made us sign A4 sheet paper which had wrong car number. I asked him few minutes to inspect the car for VIN etc. Also, said to arrange a new receipt please.

He started shouting on the road it is Sunday and why we need to check car as it has passed NCT. He called me most disgraceful in front of wife/friends. He took keys from my hand and threasthned to call Garda. I told him what for, we should be allowed to check car. Wife said it is hardly under 2K and pay and close the matter.

Now car cruise is not working, steering makes noise, tail light was gone - He said he give a damn (minor issue, FYI only), only gave 1 key. I dnt care. He wanted to keep deposit and 500+ we gave him in cash on that day for cancelling the deal which he proposed to cancel. Never did, after I said OK cancel it and given back money other than deposit - We'll see you in Small Claims Court.

Problem is he is yet to send paper/receipt with correct car date and he said he will deposit form in post office box immediately.

He said he has come on Sunday and someone is waiting in car park. While he went into a mobile store after taking money. HE WAS LOUD. We approached him to close the matter and he said go way. Not a fair way to treat people.

DETAILED

This dealer has misrepresented from Day 1 and I was lazy searching for a car and hence made the mistake.

Day 1, 8 Days ago: He advertised car with with valid NCT and once I reached told me NCT was rejected. I have a copy of his ad saved.

Day 5 : He promised to get NCT done in 4 days, planned a holiday to pick car.

On the day he said he received a text saying NCT was moved to next day. I called NCT office and was informed they did not cancel, Garage asked for it. I still do not say anything - Trust me just wanted a cheap car.

Day 7 : Reached at the place to get the car. Receipt he gave was wrong with an incorrect car number, I still paid him cash and before doing balance transfer of remaining asked him to allow me to check the car as it had failed NCT previously for couple of defects.

Also, to match the VIN.

HE STARTED SHOUTING on road that he will call GARDA and Grabbed keys. He said it is disgraceful thing, he heard in his life that we wanted to check a newly NCT car. He locked the car with our bags inside and started to walk away.

He said who checks the car after NCT?? Seriously.

He did not and my spouse wanted to avoid a scene for a small amount and she said pay.

IS THIS NOT NORMAL TO DO CHECK CAR BEFORE DELIVERY????

He lied that some one is waiting for him in car park and he was nice to us meeting on a Sunday. Which was a lie as his working hours on his web-site are 9-8 on his website and he met me last Sunday. We wasted Sunday as he moved his NCT appointment.

Finally, we paid him and he went away without giving a new receipt until now.

He called us DISGRACEFUL for checking the car. We are from outside Ireland and wife wanted to avoid creating a scene. I do not wanna say anything more, it was borderline x.xxxxx...

He threatened to call GARDA and grabbed keys from my hand.

Steering does make noise on turning - NCT was failed for a bad CV Cover, Tail light is not working (I dnt care but strange how it passed NCT) and Cruise is not working. No wonder he did not let us test the car.

He misrepresented that someone was waiting for him in the parking and hence cannot wait. Whilst we saw him in the mobile repair shop for 15 min+ after this incidence. He could have gone there whilst we had checked the car. He knew issues with the car and just pushed it to us? Perhaps??????

What is bothering me :

1. He has not sent the receipt yet. Off course we expected it after the episode.

2. He I suspect will send the VRC to office. What is my option then?

3. Date of sale he has put is one day prior. I didn't notice.

4. He said PIN for tax is last 6 digits. It does not work today when I tried - Perhaps changed??

BIGGEST IS his treatment of people in front of my wife and friend was sad, bad and unacceptable. I should have walked away from the deal, wife said forget it. He was not ready to give the cash he took from us (Deposit was transferred via bank), he offered to cancel the deal. I said give money back which we paid today (over and above deposit), he said let me call GARDA.

I can take him to court but here for a short stay. How long does the Court proceeding takes - Small Claim Court in this case.

Is this usual behavior of dealer? if yes, then well, no comments.

How can checking a car be DISGRACEFUL?

His office is open 7 days as per his own website and his first call.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Am I right in thinking you went ahead with the sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Tell me you didnt take the car

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is this a follow on from the €1700 Honda here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058197431

You can check the status of NCT on the NCT website, it updates overnight from whatever passed or was inspected that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ggmat799

Mc Love wrote: »
    Tell me you didnt take the car

He had 700e in advance from me already. He was running away with Keys and did not return it when we accepted his offer to cancel the deal. Wife said just get the car instead of loosing 700e.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking you went ahead with the sale?

He was not giving 700e back. When I and friend approached him to close the matter like a gentle men, he again abused saying go away, Ill do what I have to do. Only then we suggested, we'll post it on social media - He was not concerned.

I've already written to TD of Transport and would write to others. He cannot get way with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Sorry but he should not have seen one cent of your money until you had inspected the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Bullying sales tactic. Locking your bags in the car and walking away with the keys would have been grounds for YOU to call the Gardai.

As for him calling the Gardai, he’d be laughed out of the station.

It’s absolutely normal to inspect all of those things.

flazio wrote: »
    Sorry but he should not have seen one cent of your money until you had inspected the car.

Agreed - Lesson learnt. But why not give 2 min to inspect the car? How can Guard come into picture? Wish I was alone there with my male friend, would have called Guards on our own.

What can I do to ensure we get the car transferred for Tax purposes. He gave a receipt with a wrong car number. Luckily took a picture of the car transfer form, not sure if that gonna help.

ggmat799 wrote: »
    He had 700e in advance from me already. He was running away with Keys and did not return it when we accepted his offer to cancel the deal. Wife said just get the car instead of loosing 700e.

How much was the car all together

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭beertons

This must be a wind up.

• Advertisement

Bullying sales tactic. Locking your bags in the car and walking away with the keys would have been grounds for YOU to call the Gardai.

As for him calling the Gardai, he’d be laughed out of the station.

It’s absolutely normal to inspect all of those things.

We thought perhaps it is his area and he may have contacts. Add to it spouse who just wanted to avoid a confrontation being new in country for a short stint.

Some people forget for few hundred bucks, he gave a mental scar of bullying to someone. Disgraceful is not checking the car, but him insulting us.

I've already written to TD of Transport and would write to others. He cannot get way with this.

They won't be able to do anything, you need a solicitor involved now which is gonna cost more than €200.

You shouldn't have paid anything in the first place, was the €700 a deposit of something?
    You then shouldn't have went through with the sale after the way he treated/spoke to you.
    Paying him the balance after everything else was straight up lunacy
    This alone, should have put you off having any further dealings with him:
    d suggested NCT was passed. It was wrong and he said to get it done as NCT failed for CV Joint and some headlight Defect.

Only option now is the legal route. Take him to the small claims court if it's under €2000 and get a solicitor if it isn't.

How much was the car all together

They won't be able to do anything, you need a solicitor involved now which is gonna cost more than €200.

You shouldn't have paid anything in the first place, was the €700 a deposit of something?
    You then shouldn't have went through with the sale after the way he treated/spoke to you.

Only option now is the legal route. Take him to the small claims court if it's under €2000 and get a solicitor if it isn't.

Trust me if you watch the video, I and my friend were fine with him to call Guards. Wife pushed us to close it and she was like you never gonna watch his face again in life.

CCTV in the are would have recorded it all, that I was moving in the car and he started acting crap and took keys away.

Bringing in 'contacts' in the Gardai to bully someone in a small car sale would be a path towards a serious GSOC investigation and could well be career ending.

200 to send him the notice or appear for a case. How long will it take and will it require my presence in the country?

What to do with road tax issue until then or transfer of ownership.

Bringing in 'contacts' in the Gardai to bully someone in a small car sale would be a path towards a serious GSOC investigation and could well be career ending.

I did not understand this please.

I did not understand this please.

Calling in "contacts in the Guards" to bully a customer would likely end with a complaint to GSOC. They can't do what you're suggesting might happen.

If no crime is being committed the Gardai have no role in this. It would be a civil matter.

Calling in "contacts in the Guards" to bully a customer would likely end with a complaint to GSOC. They can't do what you're suggesting might happen.

If no crime is being committed the Gardai have no role in this. It would be a civil matter.

That's is what I told wife.

If we have taken the car without paying him, it was criminal. We were simply asking to check the car before we move rest of the money. She was afraid that what if cops are in his pocket situation? if I can use this term here. I will delete, if not allowed.

• Advertisement

Ok. The fact is the car is yours now.
    You really have no meaningful recourse with the seller.

Does the VIN number on the car match the registration document you signed?

The motor tax can’t be done until the ownership transfers

They're not in his pocket. He's just mouthing off and making ludicrous threats.

The only response to a threat like that is to say "ok call them. Or do you want me to call them for you?"

From what you're saying, nothing you did was unusual and most definitely wasn't illegal.

It would appear that you completed the transaction though and the car is now yours.

Once the change of ownership is processed (usually very fast), you'll get a new Vehicle Registration Certificate and then you can tax the car.

They're not in his pocket. He's just mouthing off and making ludicrous threats.

The only response to a threat like that is to say "ok call them. Or do you want me to call you them for you?"

From what you're saying, nothing you did was unusual and most definitely wasn't illegal.

It would appear that you completed the transaction though and the car is now yours.

Once the change of ownership is processed (usually very fast), you'll get a new Vehicle Registration Certificate and then you can tax the car.

That's is the concern here. He said he will drop it off VRC in the post box outside the SV, we checked he did not and simply walked away.

He did not even send revised sales receipt inspite of his promise to send one with correct car details.

What he did KARMA will get to him, even if I do not action upon. How about above 2 please

Ok. The fact is the car is yours now.
    You really have no meaningful recourse with the seller.

Does the VIN number on the car match the registration document you signed?

The motor tax can’t be done until the ownership transfers

My mood was so off, simply parked the car home. Will go and check in a bit.

That's is the concern here. He said he will drop it off VRC in the post box outside the SV, we checked he did not and simply walked away. What if he does not post it?? he said last 6 digits were PIN, that is not working either.

Last 6 digits of the registration cert serial number are the pin (for the current owner)
    When new cert issued, the last 6 digits of the new registration cert serial number will be your pin.

If he doesn’t post it, there’s a procedure you can follow to get a new one. For now - go on the basis that he will post.

Last 6 digits of the registration cert serial number are the pin (for the current owner)
    When new cert issued, the last 6 digits of the new registration cert serial number will be your pin.

If he doesn’t post it, there’s a procedure you can follow to get a new one. For now - go on the basis that he will post.

Agreed. and until the not use the car is the best bet. Perhaps, if he drags it will file a case in SCC. 200e is fine to be honest.

From where can I get break lights/bulbs changed for rear, Cruise Control not working and steering noises. Any suggestions please.

What car is it?

Ref the SCC, is this guy working for an actual garage, with a premises etc? Or is he as I suspect, a trader who operates outside the ideals of Revenue and the law?
    If the latter, you’re wasting your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I tried reading this thread and my fcukin head hurts after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm sitting back with a beer and popcorn watching how this entire episode pans out.

tumblr_orad45B2hG1t2zwivo1_r1_400.gif

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'm sitting back with a beer and popcorn watching how this entire episode pans out.

See you are not missing F1 season are you. With RB finally thrashing Merc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement