Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blasket Island Camping

• 29-05-2021 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭

Thinking about camping on the Blaskets anybody on here do it before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Never have, but I've heard of it being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

i messaged the ferry company and they said it is ok, hopefully I'll get this done in the next couple of weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

sheesh wrote: »
    i messaged the ferry company and they said it is ok, hopefully I'll get this done in the next couple of weeks!

Oh please, report back!
    I'd love to know how it went.

If you want to camp on Blaskets the only place that will take you is the ferry from Dunquin the price of the ferry is €37 euro I found a tap on the island near a tank so I think there is water on the island but I am not sure of its safety it was clear I suppose you could filter it.

you can apparently camp anywhere on the island I would keep away from the beach because of the seals.

Bring ear plugs if you are not used to sleeping outside there were birds or bats flying over the tent and it kept me awake.

It is satisfyingly tough as you lug your stuff from the boat uphill to a place where you can camp as is the hauling up of Dunquin pier.

food wise we brought regular sausages,burgers, bread milk all stored in an Ice box chilled by bottles of frozen water which we used as drinking water

I know it does not sound like it from the above details but it was a great experience.

I was hoping to bring camera gear or fishing gear but the weight and volume of all the stuff meant that I was not able to need to rearrange how I pack

First proper wild camping trip done!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

sheesh wrote: »
    If you want to camp on Blaskets the only place that will take you is the ferry from Dunquin the price of the ferry is €37 euro I found a tap on the island near a tank so I think there is water on the island but I am not sure of its safety it was clear I suppose you could filter it.

you can apparently camp anywhere on the island I would keep away from the beach because of the seals.

Bring ear plugs if you are not used to sleeping outside there were birds or bats flying over the tent and it kept me awake.

It is satisfyingly tough as you lug your stuff from the boat uphill to a place where you can camp as is the hauling up of Dunquin pier.

food wise we brought regular sausages,burgers, bread milk all stored in an Ice box chilled by bottles of frozen water which we used as drinking water

I know it does not sound like it from the above details but it was a great experience.

I was hoping to bring camera gear or fishing gear but the weight and volume of all the stuff meant that I was not able to need to rearrange how I pack

First proper wild camping trip done!

Nice ! did you meet the famous couple in the cafe who get the privilege of running it for the summer?

• Advertisement

the hostel was closed as far as I know but I waved to people siting outside it so possibly

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Esho

Going to camp there early next week, if the weather keeps up.

Were there many rats there?

Irelands eye was full of them

Advertisement