Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Palm Springs

Options
  • 10-07-2020 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt9484998/

RomCom with Andy Samberg and Cristin Milioti. I went in with low expectations but loved it. Completely not what i was expecting. Highly recommend giving a go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Eager to see this based on the very little I know about it. Seems like it may be best to continue to keep myself somewhat in the dark.

Was hoping it was available to stream here when I first came across it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 31,830 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Noicccce!

Will definitely check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Really enjoyed this, love Sandberg so was really impressed. Had my eye on this for a while and I hate romcoms.

Really fun! Definitely not a standard rom com.
    The leads are cracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

gmisk wrote: »
    Really fun! Definitely not a standard rom com.
    The leads are cracking.

Cristin Milioti needs to be in more things, she was brilliant in Mythic Quest flashback episode as well.

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Cristin Milioti needs to be in note things, she was brilliant in Mythic Quest flashback episode as well.
    She is great I literally don't think I have seen anything with her in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Watched this last night and its really enjoyable.
    The 2 leads were great and a Simmons was good in his limited time.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,995 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Cristin Milioti needs to be in note things, she was brilliant in Mythic Quest flashback episode as well.

I thought she was Lizzy Caplan :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

526173.png

Well worth tracking down. Very funny Groundhog day riff (rather than 'original concept'). Wasn't surprised with how good Andy Samberg could be in this, but Cristin Milioti was also very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

Also found this to be very good.

• Advertisement

Wasn’t expecting much from this but found it to be very good...defo worth the watch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Brilliant film, loved every second of it - the leads work exceptionally well together. It's best watched blind for sure.

Great little under-the-radar comedy / black comedy and an effective duo re-take on the groundhog day premise.

Easy recommend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finally available here (on Prime) for anyone who hasn’t caught it yet.

A Sundance hit sold to a major distributor for an outrageous sum sets off alarm bells these days... but thankfully Palm Springs blitzes on through those reservations with its endearing charm offensive. It tackles its time loop conceit with wit, but more importantly just the right amount of horrifying, existential dread. It’s a very funny idea that also happens to be horrifying, and the film playfully waltzes between those registers rather brilliantly. It’s darker around the edges than Groundhog Day, and having two people stuck in the loop together certainly adds another key point of difference.

I think most importantly for a rom-com, I was really rooting for Nyles and Sarah. Sure, they may be self-destructive assholes, but they’re also decent, flawed human beings who seem made for each other. Samberg and Milioti are perfect cast - likeable people with just the right amount of prickliness for the material.

Sure, there are a few script issues here and there. But it’s 90 minutes very well spent, and definitely one of the more charming, endearing and conceptually unsettling rom-coms of recent times.

Managed to exceed my very high expectations. For some reason I thought there was going to be a lot less humour but I thought it struck a really good balance between the existential drama and the comedy Samberg can do with his eyes closed at this stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It was a fantastic deranged riff on Groundhog Day, one which underpinned the broader and more anarchic comedy style with solid and well earned development & beats from its characters. An arguably more emotionally complex cast, being more screw ups in life than the Scrooge-like curmudgeon of the aforementioned classic.

Structurally it also played with the formula a little, the simple act of having the film start "in media res" an obvious but unique twist on a formula. Andy Samberg's natural boyish cheek kinda undercut his character arc a little, but otherwise knocked it out of the park alongside costar Christin Milioti. The film also left me wondering ... ... just how many were actually stuck in the loop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Great film. Just the tonic in year covid times

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It was a fun film. I like stories that use this concept and the chemistry with the two leads was good. I found Groundhog Day funnier, but this raised a few smiles.

As regards the ending, the thought occurred to me...
    A really sick form of revenge for Roy would be to take his Nyles into the cave and have him go through everything.

And Roy might come to the conclusion that if he wants to get out, he'll need the Wedding Day Sarah involved as well.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

pixelburp wrote: »
    Structurally it also played with the formula a little, the simple act of having the film start "in media res" an obvious but unique twist on a formula.
    Agreed, loved the way it gave the opening 15 minutes a real off kilter feel and made Samberg come across as a bit of a douche bag making his arc all the more prominent.
    In one way you could say this is Milioti's Groundhog Day movie that we're witnessing and Samberg just happens to already be coming to the end of the middle act in a parallel one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Really enjoyed this, looking forward to watching it again at some point. The mid credit scene was nice, if not for that I would have felt very differently about the film and the protagonists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

really liked this , cristin milloti was excellent and andy sandberg was bearable for once

• Registered Users Posts: 19,935 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Only heard about this film during the week, and watched it last night on Amazon Prime.
    What an excellent film. Groundhog Day is one of my favourite films, this is not as good, but a very good film. 9/10 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Great flick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Watched this last night. Thought it was really funny.

Typical Andy Samberg. Cristin Milioti & JK Simmons were great too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Must actually give this a rewatch sometime: feels like one of those movies that might reward multiple viewings.

Advertisement