Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lightweight storage on a road bike

• 03-07-2021 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭

So got me new bike today Cannondale CAAD Optimo 1.

Noticed my large saddle bag from my previous bike doesn't work with this one so im looking at finding something to replace it going forward.

I also usually throw a backpack on when im going on longer trips but it's not gonna work on this kinda bike back will be in bits.

So what are the options if I want to keep things light but want somewhere to throw my wallet keys phone maybe even a light jacket or top?

By the way thanks for the advice and help previously lads !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Jersey pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

Handlebar bag might be another option

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

cletus wrote: »
    Handlebar bag might be another option

Handy for keeping the lippy :D

They're actually all the rage at the minute though.

How much stuff are we talking here? Just the normal bits and bobs or are you planning on putting the contents of the backpack on the bike maybe?

OT: Which colour Optimo did you go for? I looked at one in blue recently and the website doesn't do it justice!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

https://silca.cc/products/seat-roll-asymmetrico

This compresses very nicely with boa dials and will fit on any saddle even on the curved part of the rails in case your saddle is all the way forward. Will take the the usual repair stuff, tube, 2 co2 cartriges, levers and multi tool. For everything else jersey pockets I guess or a handlebar bag or bento box if you are so inclined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I have this type - one made by Specialized and one made by BBB. Looks bigger in the picture that in real life.
    71qFvfFmQuS._AC_SL1200_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... somewhere to throw my wallet keys....
    Take a debit/credit card and a few banknotes - no need for a wallet.

Take a single key (eg front door) - no need to be carrying bunches of keys (something that I see all the time and can't get my head around it). If you're afraid of losing the key put it on a landyard around your neck and inside your jersey.

A jacket can be carried on the top bar secured with a small bungee cord.

Don't you wear a jersey with rear pockets?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

I have a see.sense handlebar bag. I like it. It's on my bike all the time. Some stuff lives in it, like my pocket rocket rain jacket, bag of jellies, key to lock and front door. It's handy to throw the phone into, or arm warmers, or whatever.

It's especially handy if I go out for a cycle and I'm wearing a tee shirt, not a jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Enfilade wrote: »
    How much stuff are we talking here? Just the normal bits and bobs or are you planning on putting the contents of the backpack on the bike maybe?

OT: Which colour Optimo did you go for? I looked at one in blue recently and the website doesn't do it justice!!!!

Nothing crazy just a secrid wallet keys phone usual stuff that either fits in zip pocket in jacket or in a saddle bag like one I had before. See the fact I don't have the backpack was only reason was looking for bit more room.

I got the glossy red colour! Looks really nice.

Nice one for all suggests lads I just wanted some feedback on what actually works instead of just reviews on websites etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cletus wrote: »
    I have a see.sense handlebar bag. I like it...
    I have one myself and use it on longer rides. Great piece of kit and neat enough to not stand out and doesn't interfere with front lights. What I particularly like about it is that I can use it for holding the Garmin charger while charging on the move. Especially useful on wet rides. (My Garmin battery will only last for about 200k or so depending on the terrain).

• Advertisement

Got a handlebar bag ya looks a bit handbag looking hahaha but there's a nice amount of room in it and doesn't get in the way so ill see how I get on with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

ditch the secrid wallet and keep 1 card. doubt youll need your age card and joint account debit card.

saddle bag should be used for a spare tube and maybe a tool and squish a banana in there. and phone and card can easily fit in your jersey pocket. if you need lots of stuff you could get a bottle thats supposed to be for putting in tools like this one i got recently https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lifeline-tool-storage-bottle/rp-prod161222

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭positron

+1 to all the suggestions above.

If you are doing a really long ride (5h+), you might want to bring a battery pack, or if you want to carry a go-pro & batteries, couple of snack bars etc a largish seat bag and/or handlebar bag makes sense.

One thing I haven't figured out yet is to buy and carry a good lightweight waterproof jacket - that really will make life a lot easier given our weather here. Even on a summers day. Fixing said jacket tothe top bar using bungee cords as suggested above makes a lot of sense (rather than stuffing it into the jersey pocket).

I have the handlebar bag now anyway it seems light and doesn't get in the way so ill test it out during the week! The space inside seems perfect for what I wanted and I can ditch the backpack now which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Do people not use top tube bags? I cant be without them.

Love this bag on my commuter, the one with Wheel Up text on the side (used IPA and a rough cloth to get rid of the text):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002077146698.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.210657f6ZFPX0S&aem_p4p_detail=202107050815161986968027224560064489755

You can fit a litre of milk in there with your keys/masks etc, I keep a packable Regatta waterproof jacket in there, fit all your food in when doing the greenways or the canals etc, its a major upgrade. My legs never touch it and it doesnt affect steering or anything like that. You can use the touchscreen of a phone through the clear plastic on the top aswell.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

positron wrote: »
    +1 to all the suggestions above.

If you are doing a really long ride (5h+), you might want to bring a battery pack, or if you want to carry a go-pro & batteries, couple of snack bars etc a largish seat bag and/or handlebar bag makes sense.

One thing I haven't figured out yet is to buy and carry a good lightweight waterproof jacket - that really will make life a lot easier given our weather here. Even on a summers day. Fixing said jacket tothe top bar using bungee cords as suggested above makes a lot of sense (rather than stuffing it into the jersey pocket).

If you can stomach the price, a gore shakedry will fold up super small. I normally stuff it in my jersey somewhere. Tying thing up with bungee cord is all well and good but I like to be able to get it and have it on as quick as possible in case of a heavy downpour

Advertisement