Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

• 05-07-2021 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Apologies if this has been asked before but I'm completely new to sailing and was interested in signing up for some courses to at least get to day skipper qualification and possibly onwards to coastal.

My question is thus, can anyone recommend a training organization in Dublin that would be able to accommodate. Somewhere with decent reviews that I won't be worried about the quality of the training. What qualifications do I need that would be recognized abroad or is the ICC sufficient?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

https://www.irishoffshoresailing.com/
    https://www.inss.ie/

are two in Dun Laoghaire.

Both very good - I have done courses (a long time ago) with both.

The clubs in DL have always run adult introduction to sailing courses during the summer, but in the current climate they're not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Van Doozy

I also have done courses with both, having taken up sailing as someone in their 30s so was in a similar position to you a few years ago.

First I had a good browse on the forum here (thanks to Heidi and others for being very helpful!!)

Here's what i did, which is an approach I would recommend - however someone else might tell you different so i guess it is up to you. But it worked well for me.

1. Do a weekend intro course with INSS. It's much cheaper than a day skipper and will give you a very good feel for whether sailing is for you.

2. once you do this course witrh INSS you can continue to sail with INSC (it's a sister- club - run in conjunction with the school). The annual fee is nominal (like maybe 30 quid) and it's pay as you sail after that, so no commitments and it;s a nice setup. Lots of people on their own, and foreign silicon docks googler types seeking a hobby. Always somone new and interesting to chat to on the boat and you can learn from the more experienced sailors as well.

3. Once you have a bit of experience you could do you day skipper. i wouldnt recommend doing this without some experience though, as you won't benefit from it in the same way at all. I did my day skipper after a year and then the following year skippered a yacht on a flotilla holiday which was amazing - skipping on a holiday was a dream of mine since I first started sailing.

You can charter a yacht with an ICC alright, but most countries recognise the Day Skipper as well. Note that in some countries to charter a yacht you also need a VHF cert, and this is another short course you need to do.

After this is up to you how you proceed if you want to stay sailing. I made some contacts (again through this forum but also just by emailing the class captain of one of the racing classes) and got myself into a few whatsapp groups for crew for cruising and racing, which is great, although sporadic. being an occasional crew means you just have to take what's going!! Generally speaking, I found people to be sound and welcoming.

During lockdown last year I did my yachtmaster theory at home and when things opened up again i got my coastal skipper cert with Irish Offshore Sailing which is something I really enjoyed as well. With the qualifications and the bit of experience I feel I am becoming a slightly more competent sailor.... (hopefully anyway!)

So where to from there? Well perhaps you would consider joining one of the main clubs in DL? This is something I also considered / am still considering as I am based way inland and its not easy to make contacts for those looking for crew. Perhaps a club would be a more reliable way of doing that? I don't know, perhaops Heidi can advise there.

I'd love to crew for an ISORA race next. Made a few enquiries for crewing positions but haven't had any luck so far. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

I've heard good reports on the above two courses. I know the George in DL runs training courses and guess that the National and Irish would do so also. A benefit of doing a YC course is that you would meet members and be in a better position to get a berth as a crew (instructors would have contacts). Also, most YCs have reduced price 'introductory' membership and if you live more than X miles from them you benefit from 'country membership'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dash8q400

Thanks for the reply's guys, guess I've a little more research to do but you've all certainly pointed me in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

Van Doozy wrote: »
    I'd love to crew for an ISORA race next. Made a few enquiries for crewing positions but haven't had any luck so far. :(

Theres a short coastal on this weekend with whats looking like a good few entered, if you contact peter ryan in isora you might get something. Theres only a few boats entered into the overall series who do the longer races which in normal times would be the races to and from wales

• Advertisement

Can't follow, so commenting for future reference.

Advertisement