Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TD Ciaran Cannon hit by SUV, suffers serious injury

• 04-07-2021 6:47pm

Wasn't sure where to post this, mods feel free to move if there's an appropriate thread

From his twitter

https://twitter.com/ciarancannon/status/1411408338286436356?s=19

Many here will know of Ciaran from either his cycling exploits, greenway advocacy, cyclist safety advocacy and raising issues in the Dail related to cycling, most recently highlighting the farce of trying to submit video evidence recorded by cyclists.

Hope he makes a speedy recovery
    Post edited by eeeee on

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Too many knobs replying to that tweet asking about his amount of hi-viz clothing.
    :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he's also a decent cyclist in terms of his fitness, did mizen to malin in under 24 hours two weeks ago. hopefully that fitness will aid in his recovery.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Saw that earlier, some of the replies to the tweet made me pretty angry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Too many knobs replying to that tweet asking about his amount of hi-viz clothing.
    tbf, i scrolled a good distance in and searched for 'viz' and there was none found.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

tbf, i scrolled a good distance in and searched for 'viz' and there was none found.
    These are the second and sixth replies to his tweet for me (and there are more)
    https://twitter.com/adoolan34/status/1411452335159664643?s=19

https://twitter.com/Allthecake1/status/1411716662978658308?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What's a "sturdy" car!?

lawred2 wrote: »
    What's a "sturdy" car!?

My 3 year old had one, pretty much bomb proof !!!!!!!!!!

71yTDvJ0hRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

looks like that'd be far more of a danger to your ankles than your knees.

looks like that'd be far more of a danger to your ankles than your knees.

The dreaded walker was the cause of many a bruised shin!!!!!!! She could pick up a fair bit of speed in that yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Those posts were very much in the minority according to my reading of the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Perhaps they had it in 4wd by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭Damien360

Wondering why he specifically said SUV driver. Our SUV’s are not that much bigger than the average family car. Yes a little taller but same width and length. Lucky he didn’t get worse injuries and hopefully a speedy recovery.

Damien360 wrote: »
    Wondering why he specifically said SUV driver.
    because it was an SUV driver, i suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

Damien360 wrote: »
    Wondering why he specifically said SUV driver. Our SUV’s are not that much bigger than the average family car. Yes a little taller but same width and length. Lucky he didn’t get worse injuries and hopefully a speedy recovery.
    The high profile of an SUV makes it more likely to cause serious injury in a collision.

grassylawn wrote: »
    The high profile of an SUV makes it more likely to cause serious injury in a collision.

Marginal I would have thought in relation to a car. We don’t know the story here but from seeing a lot of suv drivers at school morning runs a huge proportion are struggling to drive them safely and correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

grassylawn wrote: »

And should make it a lot easier to see cyclists.

I used to drive a SUV - you could see cyclists over the roofline of cars in front and prepare for passing them.

As for "hi viz" - a bright summer's evening would not necessitate hi viz for a motorist paying attention.

I'm not a cyclist - too many crazy motorists out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

lawred2 wrote: »
    What's a "sturdy" car!?
    Hillman Hunter. God be with the days when you could stand on the roof of one at a football match. Try doing than in a modern car! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I've said it before and I'll say it again, SUV's are a modern day curse.

tdf7187 wrote: »

Ford Ranger's the same. The amount of clowns driving these around my way and paying the motor tax that come with them is unreal over the last year and them having no practical reason for driving one.

One parked outside or local Pharmacy every day ffs, guy commutes from the north in it!!!!!:rolleyes:

They are a fashion label.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I've also said before that an "SUV" is too wide an umbrella term used for anything that's not a saloon, estate or hatchback. They aren't the easy evil people make them out to be, some have lower footprints and emissions than other saloons and estates.
    Fils wrote: »

Maybe for the odd oddball, but generally they aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Hurrache wrote: »
    I've also said before that an "SUV" is too wide an umbrella term used for anything that's not a saloon, estate or hatchback. They aren't the easy evil people make them out to be, some have lower footprints and emissions than other saloons and estates.

Maybe for the odd oddball, but generally they aren't.

Exactly it could have been anything from a Ford kuga to a range rover

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

because it was an SUV driver, i suspect.

Would they have said "Hatchback driver hit me", I doubt it.

Saying SUV driver is making connotations that the fact that it was an SUV is linked to the accident.
    It was just an idiot driver by the sounds of things, some people who drive SUV's are idiots some people who drive other types of cars are idiots.
    You shouldn't make assumptions on a drivers ability based on their car.

To be fair about it a lot of people struggle to drive and park suv. This is clearly evident at every school run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

cruizer101 wrote: »

Saying SUV driver is making connotations that the fact that it was an SUV is linked to the accident.
    It was just an idiot driver by the sounds of things, some people who drive SUV's are idiots some people who drive other types of cars are idiots.

Cannon, as far as I can see, just said it was an SUV driver, which apparently it was. He made no judgement about the driver, based on the type of vehicle.
    Assumptions were made by others.
    It was not an accident, it was a collision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭wench

cruizer101 wrote: »

Looks like he made a factual statement of who hit him, and you're reading your own interpretation into it.
    Should he have just said he was hit by a mechanically propelled vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,263 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Wish him a speedy recovery - a significant number of people driving only seem to "look" for other vehicles, not anyone or anything else on the roads.

Whatever about generalisations on their driving skills, SUV drivers seem very defensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Wish him a speedy recovery - a significant number of people driving only seem to "look" for other vehicles, not anyone or anything else on the roads.

Whatever about generalisations on their driving skills, SUV drivers seem very defensive!

I'm an SUV driver -AND- an anti-hiviz, anti-cycle lane cyclist... can you imagine how defensive I am everyday :pac::pac:

Hope he recovers well - the knee is up there with the back as being two debilitating injuries I'd hate to suffer. Hope no long-term effects that might limit his ability on the bike.

Might bring a bit more focus on the issue of driver awareness and the fact that the roads are shared spaces, not single track speedways for cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Macy0161 wrote: »

I'm not one, I'm just coming from a factual point of view as to their perception which I think is a hangover from when they all used to be big and dirty which is far from the case now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Fils wrote: »

Ridiculous how popular they've become especially considering that there more of a danger to vulnerable road users compared to regular saloon cars (that the SUVs have replaced.)

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/new-study-suggests-todays-suvs-are-more-lethal-to-pedestrians-than-cars#:~:text=At%20speeds%20of%2020%2D39,involving%20cars%20(54%20percent).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement