Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

WTB - head melted - First EV

• 04-07-2021 6:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Appreciate anyone's input.

I have a 161 Tuscon (trade in value 17k) and a 131 Peugeot 3008 auto (trade in value 6300). In housing estate, no off street parking. Partner only drives automatic.

In Cork, and would travel to Waterford/Tralee couple times a month to see family. Other than that, standard daily KMs - shops, school runs.

I've been looking at used Leaf 40 (2018/2019) and a used Zoe (2017/2018).

Question really is, if viable given no home charger. And what thoughts would be on the options?

*Keep Tuscon, trade in 3008 for Leaf (wife can only drive the Leaf as is auto
    *Keep 3008, trade in Tuscon for Leaf (wife can drive both)
    *Trade in both (is this silly initially) and get Leaf for Tuscon and Zoe for 3008 .

My mind is melted with analysis paralysis!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Personally, I would abandon thoughts of owning an EV without home charging, you have better things to be doing than queuing at public chargers in the evenings and at weekends.
    I can see vast increase in charger use with the plethora of new EVs hitting the roads, apart from time lost travelling to and from chargers as well as charging time there is also the frustration of queuing...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

eposhea wrote: »
    Question really is, if viable given no home charger.

I agree with slave1... no home charger forget EVs for now.

Maybe when there is better charging infrastructure particularly from the local authority, you can look at it then again.

yes, also agree, no home charging no Electric car, it's just too complicated at this time and the government are doing noting to ensure apartment owners and people with no dedicated charging space can charge an ev.

i can't imagine on street ev only parking working because i'm sure ice owners would kick up a stink if ev owners were to get special parking spaces and they'd just park in them anyway out of spite.

a long range ev might work if you can charge as fast as the new vw id cars or the ioniq 5 but high power dc chargers are very few and far between and likely to only exist on the motorways for the time being but a 30 min charge could last a week or more for a lot of people and that's not so bad the issue is that in towns and cities this infrastructure doesn't exist and are the few 50 kw dc chargers that exist good enough ? probably not with so many electrics on the road now and there's going to be a lot more on the road in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 2tiredkjl

Can you or your wife charge at a workplace? If you can, EV may be a viable option. If not, I agree with the previous replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Forget about an EV until CPs are much more freely available, it will break your heart
    I was like that in an apt in Dublin for a while and It was insane,

Range anxiety with partners is bad enough without having charger availability anxiety on top.:D It would do you heads in

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

2tiredkjl wrote: »
    Can you or your wife charge at a workplace? If you can, EV may be a viable option. If not, I agree with the previous replies.

work charging is not a viable option simply because there can be squabbling over who gets to plug in, employees don't want to share and think they're entitled to stay plugged in for entire 8 hrs, they can break and take weeks or months before anyone cares to have them replaced.

it can take weeks to get access to the charge points, the larger the business, ie, multinational the more hassle.

you might get the car and be the only one with ev and next you know 4 other ev owners are there to fight over charge points.

relying on work charging is in my opinion a big no no.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No home charger, no EV. It’s simply not worth the headache and stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭eposhea

That's fairly emphatic from everyone alright!

As my wife only drives automatic, I am potentially leaning towards a Phev now. I understand it still needs to be charged, but as the car needs to be auto for both of us to drive, I don't see any point in not getting a Phev, if that makes sense?

Trade in the Tuscon for a Niro Phev and hold onto the 3008 for a while longer. Or even shift that on for a smaller, newer, 2nd hand car.

Decisions, decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

That's fairly emphatic from everyone alright!

As my wife only drives automatic, I am potentially leaning towards a Phev now. I understand it still needs to be charged, but as the car needs to be auto for both of us to drive, I don't see any point in not getting a Phev, if that makes sense?

It’s the same answer for PHEV.

You are paying a premium for the PHEV and you would be wasting your money if you never charge it.

Unless you are considering moving house in the medium term and think you will have home charging then.

Better off keeping your current car and hassle local politicians to get the Government to address the lack of access to charging for those who have no place to plug in at home.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Don't get PHEV either, you'll be paying to lug those batteries around, they're heavy boys

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

In housing estate, no off street parking.

Are the spaces in the estate designated? If so, you might be able to get a charger installed.

I personally manage easily without a home charger (will be moving house and installing after moving) but it's with a very long range battery and lots of charging options - 5 free chargers close by, 3 fast chargers near enough, work charging and granny cabling with the folks who are near me.

I wouldn't want to do it in a short-range car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

If you're doing less than 30km per day then something like an ID.4 with the big battery should go a full week between charges. If you're willing to spend 45 mins on a 50kW unit twice a week then it's an option.

Alternatively if there's a public AC unit near your work then you can plug in and leave it there charging a couple of days a week

I just did Dublin to Waterford and back with just a 1 hour charge on an AC charger while we were out walking, should be no hassle doing Cork-Waterford or Tralee in summer. In winter you'll probably be banking on a quick charge each way just to be safe

When I got my Leaf24 I was living off a DC charger at Nissan for the first month. It was a pain, had to go there every second day for half an hour to charge. However with a much bigger battery now, it's much less of a problem

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭eposhea

Are the spaces in the estate designated? If so, you might be able to get a charger installed.

Yes, the spaces are designated - however, from the front door you cross the footpath and the road to get to the parking space. The estate is still managed by the developers, so not even sure who to go for permission - them or the council? (units still being built on the wider development).

I know there are multiple houses in the estate with EVs already - I have posted to the residents FB group (no replies yet unfortunately). My neighbour has an Ioniq and utilises the ESB chargers could times a week - there are 2 within 5 mins drive and about 5 within 10 mins drive, and then some shopping centre chargers in Douglas, Cork too - 10 mins away. So I am tempted to change one of the cars to EV and see how we go - min would be Leaf40 and the range there.

I wouldn't rely on public ac points that can fail or all of a sudden someone else wants to use it regularly.

Besides, public charging will cost much more than charging at home with night rate electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Yes, the spaces are designated - however, from the front door you cross the footpath and the road to get to the parking space.

Hmm. There are options like this but it might be too tough with a road in-between: https://youtu.be/aJwGzA_oeJg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yes, the spaces are designated - however, from the front door you cross the footpath and the road to get to the parking space. The estate is still managed by the developers, so not even sure who to go for permission - them or the council? (units still being built on the wider development).

I know there are multiple houses in the estate with EVs already - I have posted to the residents FB group (no replies yet unfortunately). My neighbour has an Ioniq and utilises the ESB chargers could times a week - there are 2 within 5 mins drive and about 5 within 10 mins drive, and then some shopping centre chargers in Douglas, Cork too - 10 mins away. So I am tempted to change one of the cars to EV and see how we go - min would be Leaf40 and the range there.

It’s not the council.
    Talk to the developer. He may core a tunnel and insert a wavin pipe or similar that will allow you to put a charging post at your spot.

A few have done it on here and on the Facebook groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hmm. There are options like this but it might be too tough with a road in-between: https://youtu.be/aJwGzA_oeJg

Each time I see the charging point in the MG I’m reminded how crap of a design it is. So not user friendly. Zero ergonomics

Advertisement