Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SUV is now needed

Options
  • 27-06-2021 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi,

On the recent arrival of kid no. 2, we've decided that the space provided by an SUV is now needed. We have a budget of between €30k - €45k and would prefer to get a hybrid engine. We'll go with a used vehicle as well. Some guidance on options would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭User1998

You need to be a bit more specific in what you want, you could get a 1 year old Skoda Kodiaq for €45k or an 8 year old Range Rover for the same money

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Do you want a regular hybrid or a plug-in hybrid?

What sort of driving do you do? Can you charge at home? We'll need a few details.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You’d get a new Tucson hybrid within budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Leslie Purkiss

Thanks for the responses.

I'm thinking so going for a used hybrid (plug-in or regular) and a premium badge as both may help to retain value. We'd want to keep the car for at least 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Do you need 4wd?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the responses.

I'm thinking so going for a used hybrid (plug-in or regular) and a premium badge as both may help to retain value. We'd want to keep the car for at least 5 years.

You’ll lose a heap on any €45k car, especially as used prices are artificially high at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

I'm in same boat as yourself. I upgraded a large saloon (vw passat) to a tiguan. I have to admit I only upgraded because opportunity came up and it was easy to do.

Note think through carefully your requirements. SUV are fashionable for young families. They are very versatile, especially when family aren't on board. They've a nice driving position. They've lots of metal around you, so give an illusion of safety.

SUV have lots of disadvantages. The boots are not that big, especially for buggies. They are significantly harder on fuel in real world terms in my experience. We've a Skoda Octavia 2.0 Tdi, same engine. That will do 4.5l/100km easily in mixed driving. The tiguan is at the 6.5l/100km. My brother has a Honda crv turbo petrol. It drinks petrol.

There's nothing wrong with upgrading to one if you want one. The audi one q5 is lovely. The tiguan and skoda are nice and you can get the 7 seat version to get bit extra boot.

If you really need a future proof car for space and expanding family, jog on from SUV and look at grand scenic, smax or galaxy for true big space. Those can take 3 kids across the back meaning you have true boot space.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What sort of daily mileage to you do OP? Do you have the ability to charge at home? If so then a new VW ID.4 is within your price range. I'd imagine if your looking to retain strong resale values then it's certainly a contender. I think VW are doing 0% APR via PCP on them also at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭walshtipp

What about a Rav4 hybrid? The Toyota hybrid system is probably the best in the business and your budget would get you a decent spec model. Toyotas also have great resale value.

Example: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-rav4-rav4-hybrid-luna-2wd/26957601

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

The 5008 with rear 2 seats down is a boot monster.

For a normal car the octavia or superb.

Mild hybrid is a bit of a nonsense. The full electric is likely the better option but options limited in family sized cars like enyaq or id4.

If it's no extra cost then great, no harm done but don't spend for mild hybrid. Likely you will never see any benefit but it's great for virtue signalling.

• Advertisement

That 5008 is for someone who has given up on life. Hideous thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Fils wrote: »

In your opinion......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Fils wrote: »

I don't think anyone is buying SUVs for their looks until you get to an Alfa or Jag. The U stands for Utility.

Lantus wrote: »
    In your opinion......

It’s not forever you can trade it in two years for half its price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You’ll lose a heap on any €45k car, especially as used prices are artificially high at the moment.

Why do you say artificially high Colm? You may well be right but what is going to happen in the future that brings used prices back to a level we are accustomed to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Volvo XC 60 would tick a lot of boxes if you want premium and hybrid versions available at the top end of your budget that were 67/70k cars on the forecourt.

One of the better looking SUV’s out there and really practical at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I could have made a very similar thread about a year ago. In the end we went for "old" and reliable, picked up a 2010 CRV EX model for £4.5k. Mileage a bit higher than I'd normally go for (116k) but I trust the brand (service history helps too) and our use case will mean we won't significantly add to it. I think it looks well, lots of room, leather wipes clean and apart from a battery swap out last week, no issues. The drive is a bit bouncy and it's a hoor for consumption but that was to be expected.

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Why do you say artificially high Colm? You may well be right but what is going to happen in the future that brings used prices back to a level we are accustomed to?

Travelling to the UK is impractical at the moment, also there is a huge lack of information out there with regards how VAT and import duty works from the UK.
    I think used prices will level off relative to new prices once people get their heads around which cars to bring in.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Leslie Purkiss

I was thinking XC90 for the additonal space. We currently have a VW Tiguin, which is inadequate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,154 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

theteal wrote: »
    I could have made a very similar thread about a year ago. In the end we went for "old" and reliable, picked up a 2010 CRV EX model for £4.5k. Mileage a bit higher than I'd normally go for (116k) but I trust the brand (service history helps too) and our use case will mean we won't significantly add to it. I think it looks well, lots of room, leather wipes clean and apart from a battery swap out last week, no issues. The drive is a bit bouncy and it's a hoor for consumption but that was to be expected.

We always had two cars, one a fairly decent modern car and something that was cheap and cheerful.
    In those type cats it's amazing how much of a car you can buy for a reasonable budget. However at present there is not great value out there.

If it was me I would buy the 3-5k version and hold tough for another 12-30 months unless it was a real necessity

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

theteal wrote: »

A 10 year old car with 116k miles is on the lower side for that age I would have thought. The Honda at ex spec are well finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭ec18

you could buy an estate to get the best of both worlds, SUV's aren't actually that good for families other than being fashionable.... They don't have that any boot really, poor fuel consumption and the only perk is being 'high' up driving...Horrid things really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

ec18 wrote: »
    you could buy an estate to get the best of both worlds, SUV's aren't actually that good for families other than being fashionable.... They don't have that any boot really, poor fuel consumption and the only perk is being 'high' up driving...Horrid things really.

The biggest advantage is that the height makes it much easier to strap children into car seats. And that’s not to be sniffed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I don't think anybody is talking about the US "SUV", ours are pretty much crossovers, the "SUV" gets bandied about like a bogeyman.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Hurrache wrote: »
    I don't think anybody is talking about the US "SUV", ours are pretty much crossovers, the "SUV" gets bandied about like a bogeyman.

All the same issues around visibility of pedestrians and cyclists and increased weight leading to increased energy usage relative to standard cars still apply, albeit at a slightly lower level.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Oh sweet Jesus, have some people nothing else do on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Comment_below

bazz26 wrote: »

The TD Paul Murphy wants SUVs banned in Dublin only this May.
    His colleague Muck Wallace drives a left hand drive BMW X5

https://www.newstalk.com/news/suvs-are-anti-social-monstrosities-that-should-be-banned-form-irish-cities-paul-murphy-1201127

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

bazz26 wrote: »

Boards is getting full of threads of people looking for an 'SUV', but when you read their requirements they'd be better off in an Octavia or a Transit.

Advertisement