Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speedy Gonzales or Slowpoke Rodriguez?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Week Monday 12th - Sunday 18th:

Monday: Easy Day
    am 4.5 jogs
    pm 12.5 Easy including 4 buildups* (Total 17k)

Tuesday: Aerobic Threshold
    am 19 inc 60 minute @ AT**
    pm 9 E followed by some core work (28)

Wednesday:
    am 12.5 E
    pm 13.5 E (26)

Thursday: Aerobic Intervals on treadmill
    am 15.5 inc. 3 x 6 x 35s off 70 s jog followed by 2 mins hard (5' between sets)
    pm 4.5 and core (20)

Friday: Easy Day
    am 4.5E
    pm 12.5E (17)

Saturday: Recovery day
    12.5 recovery (12.5)

Sunday:
    28.5 k very hilly run (38.5)

Total 159k (99 miles)

*buildup=a slow smooth buildup in speed with last 20-30 metres at a fast pace.
    ** AT = 2 hr race effort/pace

Comments: The Tuesday AT run was a bit sloggy as the weekend hillrun was still in the legs with no strides or faster running between. Grass/sand etc around Bull Island.

The thursday aerobic intervals on the treadmill were good.
    Set at 3' to minimise pounding. Used Daniels table and started at 15.9 kph as a conservative approx of 5k fitness. Added .1 kph to each rep. So first set was 16.1-16.6 kph. Same for others but started 2nd set at 16.1 kph, and third at 16.3 kph. 2 min hard was t 16.2 kph.
    Paces felt right, but tough on legs. Wore very light runners to get more strenght around ankles/feet.

Next two days were recovering from Intervals. Sunday felt good. Plan was run to Luas (4.5k) Off at Dundrum and start hill run. Two climbs up 3 rock.
    First was Kilmashogue roundabout up to junction with road to 3 rock masts (a couple of minutes below mast). Went out a bit hard and did the climb in just under 24, with the masts to junction section at 16:45.
    Was quitely happy till I saw later the fastest time was just under 19, 5 mins quicker!
    Ran back down and bumped into a friend and continued the run with less intensity. Ran at a good intensity back to Luas to finish the run working.
    Bloody Luas had issues and kicked everyone off at Cowper. 35 mins more running for me to bring the total associated with that run to 38.5.

Changes:

Will swap aerobic strides and aerobic threshold sessions around. Obvious move. Strides will put pep back in legs after long run. That will mean the quality of the AT run should be better (Ill do it on a good fast surface). That won't affect the long run which will have a slower speed anyway.
    Had to drop a session for week 2 below (was being greedy ;-))
    Have joined the AT with the long hill run. That will be plenty.

Upcoming schedule:

Week1:
    Wed: 3 x 6 x 35s off 70' + 3 mins hard. 5 mins between sets.
    Fri: 65 mins AT finish fast if feeling good
    Sun: 30+k steady hill run

Week2:
    Wed: 3 x 6 x 35s off 70' + 4 mins hard. 5 mins between sets.
    Sat: Long hill run: inc. 70 mins AT (finish fast if feeling good)
    Sunday easy

Week3:
    Mon: Recovery + strides
    Tue: 10k race
    Wed-Sat: Recovery + strides
    Sunday off-road: half marathon.

Haven't looked at a weighing scale in 2 months. Last look was 10 st 5-6 lbs.
    Weigh in mid week!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks for the reminder on Kellog's writings and your thoughts on the subject. I'm still a little torn on the issue of refactoring future training to map to multi-tier training, but that's largely based on stubbornness and laziness on my part, as I have typically based my training plans on adaptations of pre-existing plans which follow longer cycles, and to switch would mean going to the trouble of creating my own plans from scratch. There's another part of me that thinks that as soon as I start adapting my training for my age profile, I'm essentially surrendering or succumbing to age. That's a vanity thing, as I'm already doing it (albeit subconsciously), so I just need to get over myself and structure future training to get the best out of myself, rather than stoking the ego. Thanks again for the valued insight - hope to see you out on the roads at some stage for another battle of the ould lads.

Thanks for the reminder on Kellog's writings and your thoughts on the subject. I'm still a little torn on the issue of refactoring future training to map to multi-tier training, but that's largely based on stubbornness and laziness on my part, as I have typically based my training plans on adaptations of pre-existing plans which follow longer cycles, and to switch would mean going to the trouble of creating my own plans from scratch. There's another part of me that thinks that as soon as I start adapting my training for my age profile, I'm essentially surrendering or succumbing to age. That's a vanity thing, as I'm already doing it (albeit subconsciously), so I just need to get over myself and structure future training to get the best out of myself, rather than stoking the ego. Thanks again for the valued insight - hope to see you out on the roads at some stage for another battle of the ould lads.

I think you're a long way from needing anything other than whatever you're doing now. From my own experience if coming back from a break again I would definitely try a shorter cycle initially just to get all the muscles half trained again. Better advice is not to take an unenforced break in the first place!

Half thinking of doing a lydiard hill phase leading up to the Maurice Mullins half before the summer road racing season, so will see you out there once youre back from a mission accomplished marathon.

I am probably going to use Magness for a stab at a marathon this Autumn. I was actually wondering during the week if it could be altered based on the aging stuff.
    I think the schedule could still be used but you'd just stick in/ or adapt a couple of sessions for each phase based on aspects that might need 'topping up'..
    Base phase might have another sub-threshold run or two and a maintenence VO2 max session like 2 mins on 2 mins off or even a 3k race.
    Pre-comp and comp could have a few hill sprints judiciously placed in a session, maybe another VO2 max session and so on.
    I think a few tweaks might allow you to keep the schedule should you feel like you need to change it. But as I said thats a few years down the road for you.

Week Monday 19th - Sunday 25th:

Monday: Recovery Day
    am 4.5 jogs
    pm 12.5 Easy (Total 17k)

Tuesday: Easy Day
    am 12.5 Easy
    pm 12.5 Easy including 6 buildups* (25)

Wednesday: Aerobic Intervals on treadmill
    am 4.5 jog

lunch 14.5 inc. 3 x 6 x 35s off 70 s jog followed by 4 mins hard (5' between sets)

pm 12.5 jog (31.5)

Thursday: Recovery Day
    am 4.5 jogs
    pm 12.5 Easy (Total 17k)

Friday: Easy Day
    am 4.5E
    pm 15E (19.5)

Saturday: Easy day
    am 7E
    pm 13.5E (20.5)

Sunday: Long run day

37.5 k very hilly long run

Total 168km (105 miles)
    *buildup=a slow smooth buildup in speed with last 20-30 metres at a fast pace.

Comments: Wednesday aerobic intervals on the treadmill..
    Set to 3' again. Started at 16.1kph (.2kph quicker last week). Added .1 kph to each rep. So first set was 16.1-16.6 kph. Same for others but started 2nd set at 16.4-18.9 kph, and third at 16.7-17.2 kph. 2 min hard was t 16.5 kph.
    All good. Had to run the 12.5km home from work later so took that very handy.

Sunday was going to be a run towards Howth. I avoid this long run in winter as the prevailing wind makes the return leg unpleasant and cold. Mile easterly wind meant that the return leg would be fine.

Wanted to get a few climbs in to prepare for upcoming hilly half. Last weeks 38.5 km run around the Dublin Hills (with plenty of rest gaps) showed that the legs could manage that distance. This week I'd try it in one go.
    Planned to jog first 8 km to get me closer to Howth, reaching the Howth/Coast road junction a few km shy of Sutton cross. Next leg was a steady pace (just one gear faster than easy) from here. Was able to take beach and cut Sutton X out. then on coast road past Sutton dingy club and out offroad beyond the Martello tower. First climb from her to the top of Shiel Martin. Wanted to keep it steady and was happy to be strong enough to manage that up the steep gradient.
    Next it was down the far side, over Howth golf course and I climbed the second steep IMRA Howth race climb (about 2 mins). It hurt a bit, being honest. On up the climb to the masts and down. Took a wrong turn near GAA club and had to go back out on tarmac way above Howth village, found a path into the East side of Deerpark golf course (the football golf part). Was able to descend this moderate gradient all the way to nearly sealevel.
    The climb back was going to be tough. On the moderate gradient had to run not jog. It is super ground for training. Eventually I could climb no higher on the nice grass and caught a hill path back up to the masts. Ignored Shielmartin on the way back and descended back to Martello tower. Resumed by one gear above easy pace all the way back to Killester. I have been taking no food or water on these long runs and finally succumbed to temptation and went into garage for an energy drink and bar of chocolate.
    Worried I'd end up slogging back but got straight back up to speed and pushed it through Fairview park. Job done and good run.

The two recovery days a week are really paying off and I don't feel tired from this mileage yet, Ill take the easy week in a weeks time because I have races but the way I feel now I could keep going.

Changes to schedule:
    Endurance is good for the half.
    Have a low key 10k on Tuesday so may position aerobic strides as last session (Saturday before) before that for some leg speed.
    Could do with a continuous sessions also so thinking about an LT session on Wednesday (treadmill to help with recovery). Some thing like 5 mins just under LT, 10 mins LT and then start upping the incline a % every minute for 10 mins.

Upcoming schedule:

Week1:
    Wed: Threshold run: 5 mins sub-threshold into 10 mins threshold into 10 minutes hill threshold raising incine a % every minute.
    Sat: Aerobic Intervals: 3 x 6 x 35s off 70' + 4 mins hard. 5 mins between sets.

Week2:
    Tuesday: Race 10k
    Friday: 2 x 5 x 30s strides
    Sunday: Debra off-road half marathon.

Week Monday 26th Feb- Sunday 4th March:

Monday: Recovery Day
    am 4.5 jogs
    pm 12.5 Easy (Total 17k)

Tuesday: Easy Day
    am 4.5
    pm 12.5 Easy
    pm2 4 E (21)

Wednesday (snow):
    Heavy hamstring: jogged 5k on threadmill.
    50 mins cross train. (5)

Thursday: Recovery Day
    10k easy on TM
    (30 mins cross train) (10)

Friday: Abandoned session
    11 easy on TM including 3 min fast to test.
    Core work. (11)

Saturday: Easy day
    (TM) 9k jog to easy inc several surges warmup hamstring OK.
    Session 10 x 3 mins off 1'
    Felt ham on 5th workbout so abandoned. (13k)

Sunday:
    am 2k jog to shops
    Pm 10k easy: Hamstring OK. (12)

Total (89)

Monday:
    am 4.5 easy
    pm 12.5 (ham Ok I think) (17)

Tuesday:
    pm 10k beach race Sandymount 35:25 (WU + WD = 10k) (20)

Report: Route has grass beach tarmac.
    Start at Clannagael GAA Sean O Moore pk; anticlockwise circuit of Pk, grass then tarmac; Out onto beach; up onto prom, off prom at end for another 100m beach and turnpoint; all the way back on beach to SM Pk and tarmac to start.
    1 lap for 5k race; 2 laps for 10k race.

5ks and 10ks start together. Had a good chat with folks at the start asked a few which distances we were in before was told you could tell by race numbers: 10k low; and 5k high.
    I jogged from my home near North Strand; got my number and chatted to other work colleagues running. Then out for the race warmup. Saw a bunch of fast lads doing a stride, I was puzzled when they kept going but then realised it must be a Crusaders group doing a sessions.
    I wanted an even race with this as a warm-up for my offroad half at the weekend. My Hamstring was a worry so was wiser to start steady and work into it.
    Off we went. A chap I recognised from my club fado fado took the lead. Smooth runner with long strides. A few behind him and then me. He was the only 10k guy ahead.
    I was wearing Saucony A5s. Lovely and light but a bit wobbly on the rough foot printed beach just after the park. The runner ahead seemed to have little issues with the long strides. He was probably 10 seconds ahead when we climbed onto the prom. Kept in touch and kept this gap all the way to the turn. He pushed on when he saw me but I kept the gap from widening. Back into the park and I was feeling it a bit but got through the few seconds of doubt and tried to keep relaxed. He had been slowly coming back to me and I caught him at the far end of the park.
    I felt strong after all the recent miles and the legs were turning nicely now. I pushed on, he stayed with me but leaving the park I was clear. I made a good effort to get over the rougher soft sand without losing ground. I was trying to turn the legs half a notch faster probably only managing the same speed as when I was relaxed in the first lap. At the turnaround I seemed to have about 150m. I relaxed and ran controlled. Passing a lot of the 5k runners now meant that I had to go out onto the beach which had hard sand ripples. Wobbly, and a good bit of traffic in the park meant I had to run around runners off-path a bit.
    Happy with the time and a good even effort should set me up for Sunday.

Will be easy running now until Sundays race.
    Hamstring is OK as I type.
    A huge change I made was to give up meat, wheat and dairy 4 days ago (already off sugar). I cant drink as much tea and coffee now and for once thirst is driving me to drink cups of water. Diet must by necessity become a lot more varied and healthy looking for the proteins, carbs and sugars in other ways.
    For the first time in a year I felt lean and fit, not stodgy.
    I didn't eat for a few hours before Tuesday's race, or drink for two hours before it. Again made me feel, lean light and that gives confidence.
    I'm starting to realise you can't get away with bad eating habits as a master.
    The change is actually for health as I've wanted for years to improve diet. The affect on my running and confidence in running has been pretty quick though.

• Advertisement

Week 5-11 March:

About 110k (sorry)
    After race Tuesday the legs were very tired for a few days. Indicated they worked which is good- strenght to be gained. I also started a new diet before: off sugar, meat, wheat, dairy. LOst weight and was hungry often and thristy for water. Took a few days off diet now, but back on tomorrow ;)

Did another long hilly run Sunday. Road out to Howth (parked at Clontarf and started from there).
    Climbed Shielmartin, Then to masts via Deerpark GC, Same again but stoped at top of course due to visibility, finally climbed over via Windgate road and steady back to car with 3 buildups at end. Good to get this run in as it made up for relatively low mileage.

12-18th March

Monday
    AM 4.5 jog
    PM 12.5 easy (17)

Tuesday
    AM 12.5 E
    PM 12.5 easy-steady (54m) (25)

Wednesday
    AM 4.5 jog
    PM 12.5 steady (49m with strong tailwind) (17)

Thursday
    AM 7 jog
    PM 10 inc. 10 x 35s hard off 70s jog (treadmill 17-18kph @ 3' grade, 10kph jog)

Wednesdays steady run was not intended but there was a gale and driving rain at my back so I went with it.
    I cut down the strides session Thursday but made them a bit sharper. Good decision.
    Sligo this weekend. Some nice easy runs on the beach and I will do another long hilly run at a decent effort. More climbing in prep for the Maurice Mullins half perhaps which is only 3 and a bit weeks away.

Last 2 weeks update.

12-18 March

Sessions:

Tue: 12k steady (3:40/k or 6 min/m)
    Wed: 8 x 200 fast on treadmill
    Sunday: Hill run 2.5 hrs (not counting 1/2 hour hacking through undergrowth)

19-25 March

Wed 10 x 3 mins off 30s treadmill (tough, turnover blunt after hill run)
    Sat 1 hr Steady-Strong hilly: Over Bray head to Greystones and back via Cliffpath. 1 hr steady.

Overall mileage was down. A few isolated days off (3) due to work. Glad of the regeneration and feeling good now with races coming up on consecutive weekends.
    I've toughened myself up with a good base in the dark hours. Now the plan is to really push the fitness on.
    The weeks will be shorter, feel easier, with more emphasis on recovery.
    Steady runs, hills, LT and aerobic strides but well within my capabilities and slowly building up.
    That will polish off the base and Ill decide which way to go based on where I am.
    Possibilities:
    Autumn marathon if looking in shape.
    Road and/or track work to bring LT down with Spring 2018 marathon in mind.
    Summer hill running (for the craic: i'll concoct up a good reason)

Going to start logging here again folks.

Stopped running for a couple of years and put on weight (about 4 St.)
    Last summer finally started a very sporadic comeback.

Joined up with Stazza a good few weeks back and have a good structure now.

Sessions: Two sessions a week now, midweek and weekend with controlled hill sprints a moderate session in between.
    Midweek based loosely on 10 mile race pace. Weekend session a gear slower. The two runs compliment each other: midweek sesh makes pace for weekend tempo feel easier, weekend tempo helps endurance (last portions) of midweek sesh.

Easy days:
    For me are low intensity so Maffetone effort might be a good estimation. In HR thats 180-age HR = <132bpm for me (my LT is @ 195 btw). I do wear a HRM every run but only using it to keep intensity of the easy runs down. The sessions are by feel.
    The pace for these easy runs (about 1hr duration) was initially about 9 min miles but has come down to 8:30 already at same intensity. Initially it was difficult for me to run properly at that intensity, but now I can which indicates I may have adapted to using the muscle fibres that prefer to burn fat at these paces. I'll keep at this intensity as the pace continues to come down.
    I run an easy hr at this intensity 4 times per week. When I'm logging I'll skip descriptions of these runs unless something unusual happens. I'll indicate periodically if I notice pace coming down etc.

Weight loss: I have still up to 1.5 St to lose for best racing weight. Times in sessions are likely to improve quicker because weight loss is happening at same time as fitness gains. I bought a Stryd power pod to capture power changes during this period also (charger missing at moment but will sort that).

Last week:

Session 1 Tuesday: Planned 20 minutes @ 6.10 then 4 x 5 minutes @ 5.55. 5 mins jog after 20m, 3mins jog after the 5m

Actual: 20 @ 6.06, 4 x 5min paces (5.49,5.47,5.51,5.38)

Thursday Hill Sprints 6 x 12s jog back

Session 2 Saturday Planned 60 mins @ 6:30
    Actual 60m @ 6:27

Happy with Tuesdays run. I try not to distract myself looking at watch for these. Instead I count. So counting every 4th stride is just slower than a second for me. A count of 50 = a minute. For the 20 min threshold section I work out a physical landmark that I will pass within 2 mins of the end. Quick look at watch and then count it out in my head. For teh 5 min reps I count to 250 and then run out teh remaining few seconds. Huge advantage of this method is full internalisation of timing. I know almost exactly how long left at all times so I am unconciously regulating effort and pace and not getting distracted by time or pace from the watch. I always find I pace these well.

Hill sprints were first in a few weeks. Had a little issue with a tight calf muscle so had to back off this session for a few weeks. I was up to 12 x 12s when that happenned. My power metre was showing consistent improvement and as an older runner I feel I need the strenght on offer from these. Delighted to get back. I changed my hill: used to use a hill in Tolka Valley Park now I use the Rathoath Bridge near there. Smoother, not a steep.

Saturdays 60 min tempo was with the Dublin Stazza group in the Phoenix Park. Second get together (first was with Olympian Aoife Cooke a few weeks ago). Met up with Auldmanking, Jan, two Kevs and Pete. My running partner Kev O and myself managed the 60m well with a section down the Glen road which allowed a little leg recovery after about 40 mins which ensured we could run the last 20 mins well. With 30 mins WU and WD this totaled 2hrs of running.

About 60 miles for the week. Easy runs of 7 miles on all non session days except Sunday where I split the easy run in two to make sure to bag the adaptions from Saturday's group run.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mar Azul

Chuffed to see this log back up and running. Always loved the detail and the imra race reports.
    Good luck with the comeback.

• Advertisement

Mar Azul wrote: »
    Chuffed to see this log back up and running. Always loved the detail and the imra race reports.
    Good luck with the comeback.

Thanks very much. Took a couple of years out so just glad to be back. May do a hill run or two down the line to help build up the fitness. You have to enjoy the running so that's no 1 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Great to see this log back, good man demfad.
    It's the only one I follow :)

Weight loss: To get weight loss moving again I'm kind of doing a hybrid intermittent fasting thing.
    Standard easy day (no session that day or day after) would be eat from 12pm-7pm ish (allowed coffee and water outside those 7 hrs).
    Session day I do session early morning and eat my recovery food etc after as normal. Have slow release protein (eg cottage cheese) before sleep.
    Easy day with session next day wont fast that evening and may have porridge before sleep.

I take Maurten drinks before session and Kinetica Recovery after.

Weight = 11st 3 lbs (lowest historic racing weight 9-8)

Footwear:
    Use new supershoes for sessions and (also important) slower supershoes for easy/recovery runs--they are easier on legs for all runs--hard to ignore for older runners.

Last week:

Session 1 Tuesday: Planned 8 x 5m @ 5.55 off 3m jog
    (20m WU and WD)

Hot afternoon. Cinder track Carrickgollogan. My 3 minute jog turned into 3 minutes shade under a tree. Tough psychological session and changed start point on track for 'change as good as rest' head relief.

Took a 5 mins rest instead of 3 mins at end of 4th rep.
    These sessions build strenght and progress: once the recovery happens the next rep is always doable. Consistant reps @ 5:48 average

Thursday Hill Sprints 8 x 12s jog back

Road Bridge Roatoath Road/Royal Canal. Smooth and not too steep. Held back.

Session 2 Saturday: 30m WU - 40m Tempo @ 6:17 -- 30 min WD

8 secs faster than planned 6:25 pace. Felt a lot easier than previous week.
    Well under control. 50m like this next week.

Easy runs of 7 miles/1 hr on all other days. Basing this pace off Maffetone (180-age = HR). My pace at this HR is coming down steadily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

How strict are you on the easy runs?

Do you just keep the HR face on the watch?

How strict are you on the easy runs?

Do you just keep the HR face on the watch?

Sometimes just the HR face.

For me, the most important easy/recovery runs are the days directly after a session. I will be strict on that day (or I should be).

Some folks who are extremely fit or maybe are very slow twitch can run those runs a lot (relatively) faster. IMO once you are recovering and allowing your body to bank the gains from the previous day's session then the recovery run has been executed well. I err on conservative side and I am allowing the pace to slowly creep up over weeks and months but at the same effort.

At the moment I am still being strict on the second easy day after a session. That's because the pace at these easy efforts is still being pushed up and up. I don't need to run them at more effort yet.

If I get back to hill running I think I will use that method for easy runs:
    If you can run with good technique up a hill at a very easy effort (eg 180 - age HR) then all paces above that at relative efforts should improve.

My 180-age HR is 132 - my easy paced runs would all be slower than that.

What I find is that my easy runs would be in the 120's (or even below 120 for real easy days).

My Max HR though is 173'ish (resting is low 40's)

My 180-age HR is 132 - my easy paced runs would all be slower than that.

What I find is that my easy runs would be in the 120's (or even below 120 for real easy days).

My Max HR though is 173'ish (resting is low 40's)

Chink in the formula there: for lower MaxHRs < than 180 it may be just HR - age (can't confirm). That would give you 125 which may fit better.

The objective for my easy runs is for them to be fat burning (rest the faster fibres while developing the slower ones) while fully recovering from and adapting to the sessions. That Maffetone guide puts me in that ballpark but may not do so for all.

Edit: Just to add something else I try to do which is to keep all the later stages of the recovery run at the same intensity (whatever that is) even if it means slowing. This seems to help the recovery and I've noticed after a few runs like this I don't need to slow anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,398 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Welcome back, T. ;)

Just wondering about Maffetone - don't know much about it but I'm a bit sceptical about any of these formula-based HR methods which seem a bit one-size-fits-all. His method (180-age, then adding 5 beats because I run 6 days a week on average) would have me on 125 for easy run, which is right at the low end of zone 1 for me - ie the slowest end of recovery pace.

Also you say your LT is at 195 - is this true? Seems very high! What's the max HR? Maybe that explains why Maffetone formula happens to work for you (and not for me, or AMK for the opposite reason).

My Max HR is around 220.

Maffetone is deffo in the 'take with pinch of salt' category. It was used primarily for an elite Ironman triathlete where there is less weight bearing. I use it as a good ballbark for a fat burning pace. I'm on the come back so as I am still improving at this intensity I will keep it up.

From my hill running background I can actually see a key benefit now of minimal easy runs uphill with caveat of good technique: If the speed of these runs at a certain intensity increases or the intensity lowers at the same speed then speeds at all aerobic intensities should increase. Or this foundation can be built on to improve the other paces.

I for one have neglected that in my hill running training.

Honestly not advocating Maffetone pace (I dont very strictly keep under it during runs). But I have noticed that speeds at these easier intensities actually increase so maybe it's worth a try especially the day after a session to ensure recovery.

As I get fitter I might up the intensity of the second day after a session (assuming I'm not upping mileage instead)

Sorry for not updating. Back from hols now.

Have had a few good chats with my coach John and also a good chat with another John, Lenihan, down in Kerry.

We have a Dublin training group now (all trained by the coach) and the group training is helping everyone a lot.

Did a decent 6:50 pace 16 miler undulating in the Park over a week ago which was a good indicator.

Have to pick a race to aim for, maybe a HM in Autumn.

• Advertisement

Time for an update.

Was in Iten Kenya for two weeks from 14-29 January.

Met Moses Kiptanui, Canova, Brother Colm, Patrick Makau and others and learned a feast of info. We had seminars on fueling, injury prevention etc. and we were paced every run by two experienced Kenyans including a man of 2:10 calibre.

Training was Week 1:

Easy days: 10k am and 8k PM

Session: Drills and various technical Hill sprints/ Moiben Road long run including 40 min progressive at pace.

Week2: 12k am and 8k Pm.

20 x 300m on Tambach track.

Long run.

May do a general thread on Kenyan training off the back of this but any Qs just ask.

Good man T - best to set up a whole new Thread on the A&R page rather than in a Log - you'll get more of an audience.

Jans pics & updates looked fantastic.

Did you get to question Canova?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Would love to read about your experiences out there!

I'll set up a thread on the main A/R page. I did speak to Canova but he took the p1ss out of me. Will elaborate!

Last week:

Note: Easy day usually 12k AM, 8k PM

Session days: Wednesday 10mi pace alternating every other week with Aerobic strides, Friday Hill Sprints, Sunday long run with fast section/s.

Monday 31 Jan: AM 8k, PM 12k (20k)(swapped around as calf a bit tight in morning, sorted)

Tuesday 1st Feb: AM 12k, PM 8k (20k)

Wed: Aerobic Strides 3 x 6 x 40s Recovery 80s/5 mins

WU +included half set drills. (15k)

Recovery very quick due to coming from altitude. Felt effort in legs not breathing.

Thur: AM 9.5k PM 13k (22.5k)

Fri: Lunch 8k Full drills/ 8 x 8s hill sprints recovery 2.5 mins. PM 12k (20k)

Sat: AM 13k PM rest (13k)

Sun: Long including 40m fast @ 3:42 per km (5:57 per mile) WU (45m) WD (20m) (23k)

(Downwind and net downhill)

Total for the week 133k

Week 7-13 Feb

Session days: Wednesday 10mi pace alternating every other week with Aerobic strides, Friday Hill Sprints, Sunday long run with fast section/s.

Monday: 7 Feb: AM 12k, PM 8.5k (20.5k)

Tuesday: AM 12k, PM 10k inc 6 x 20'' strides (22k)

Wednesday: Progression easy to high end (13.5k)

Thursday: 20 mins @ 10mi pace (3:34, 5:45) 12k PM 8k (20k) (flat but downwind)

Friday: AM 12k (brisker than planned) PM 12k very easy (24k)

Saturday: Full drills/ 8 x 8s hill sprints recovery 2.5 mins. (9.5k)

Sun: 10 Prog/5-6 x 6min (3:34/6:00 pace rest 1 min standing) (calf played up so cut a little short) (16.5k)

Total for the week 125k

An extra moderate session of quality on Tuesday and Fridays first run was steady not easy.

Have still extra while blood cells knocking around from altitude so good to no harm using them for the threshold and steady efforts.

Easy couple of days now to bed that in and be ready for Saturdays aerobic stride session.

Working on form which was an identified weakness so assisted Isolated stretching, 'Mertles', lunges to activate glutes and drills before sessions particularly the hill blasts.

Hill blasts and strides good after altitude to catch up turnover/speed to aerobic fitness.

Post edited by demfad on

Week 14-20 Feb

Monday: 4 Feb: AM 12k. Very easy, loads of stops to stretch troublesome calf (12)

Tuesday: AM 13k calf behaving better. PM 8.5k (21.5)

Wednesday: Aerobic Strides 3 x (6 x 200m) + 2 min hard. (off 200m jog and 600m jog between sets)

Calf spasmed near end of 2 min hard. Need to fix. (12k)

Thursday: AM 12k recovery (decided to skip PM runs til calf better) (12)

Friday: Rest

Saturday: 13.5k a little faster. Kinseo on calf worked well (13.5)

Sun: 8 x 6' Tempo off 1 min standing rest. Strapped again and calf behaved. (12)

About 90k for week.

Calf issues arose from a heavier week last week but really from no work being done to address it.

Plan is a full week this week before easing up for Lusk 4 mile. I am also in for Mullingar half but can run it with a couple of running buddies at a slightly off-race pace for me and considering that option. Still building.

Just going to give a little more context to the training and trajectory.

I am doing two runs per day. First run is around 65 mins. Idea is that you'll get a good training bout over an hour but too much over and you're not gaining much with added injury risk. For consistency (avoiding disruption due to niggles injury) this lenght of time is a sweet spot. This is the philosophy my coach uses but it is also backed by a lot of training you'll see in Kenya and also by the likes of John Kellogg who advocates 35,65,95,125 as the most useful sweet spot durations for relatively easy runs. 95, 125 useful occasionally but day to day 65 is preferred.

The second run is in my opinion to build up overall global volume. It takes a certain amount of fitness/strenght to run X kilometers week after week sustainably. If you can build up to running x + 50% then you are stronger and fitter. This extra strenght and fitness can be leveraged into bigger sessions which can be translated into race times etc. This volume should not take out from the sustainable quality of sessions so the build up must be slow/gradual. Age/historical training/available time etc. are factors in this. (I find the new super runners a god send)

I think you can infer from above that key run is the morning 65 on easy days with a secondary run on some days adding to fitness.

I was in Kenya recently where we ran twice every day. With the hilly/uneven terrain and thin air easy runs were relatively tough. Fact that we were resting more or less (drinking coffee, talking sh1te!, playing bananagram) when not running meant this upping in taining was doable as overall daily "Stress" was not changed too much. Just had to take it relaxed.

Coming out from such a block the plan would be to push on with the training, easy runs (flat tarmac) a lot less intense compensating for return to work/family life. Also, no second run on session days unlike Kenya.

I had a few years off and have come back from a low starting point. Good news for me was that the training I did years ago does come back (albeit slowly) so it's not starting from scratch again.

The sessions I am doing are building week on week on paper. The amount of work I am doing internally is not building as quick. So two weeks ago I did a 20 minute threshold type run, this week it will be 30 mins, similar pace. The amount that the session will take out of me won't be significantly more than two weeks ago. Internal load not greatly increased. All that's happening is new fibres have to be recruited while running at same effort for longer. Same as two weeks ago. Weekends I am doing a longer tempo within a long run with progression by making the tempo longer. Same principle. This means that as I build I don't have to slow the easy runs to compensate for harder runs. In fact those paces will probably come down even though they will feel the same day to day. I will make micro adjustments so if I need to go easier or recover more on a particular day I will do so, but the bigger principles hold.

As I start to progress towards a target long race the sessions will get bigger (feel harder as well as look bigger on paper). That means that the intermediary easy runs will get easier in order for recovery to be achieved.

For me the first phase is base/general (intensity is by feel (my coach's philosophy) or for some another internal measure such as HR).

When the sessions start to gear specifically towards an event then the metric becomes more external guided by the requirements of the goal for that event (Pace/Power).

My view is the same: when building a base or fitness, hold back, allow yourself to operate inside a weekly workload where building is possible week after week, month after month. When it's time to build specific sessions to harden yourself to your goal/event then you session hard but you must EARN the right to do this by your patience and intelligent training in the first phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

I like the mindset of earning your right to train specifically especially these days, we are in too much of a hurry to get to the endpoint that we ignore the things that are not quite tangible about the journey.

• Advertisement

Absolutey! If there is no real support under a specific session, it just doesn't stick as much while requiring a lot of recovery.

In other news I ended up doing a similar session (ad-hoc not planned) to the Norwegian type doubles mentioned by some posters on your double thread. 20 LT AM then 15 x 1' off 20'' PM. I'll post and describe on that thread. It's not far off an entry level block runners could try.

Advertisement