Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

when the year is over we can all come back here and review the year.
    i bet every poster at that stage will be saying we need youth and power and speed to live with the likes of limerick and galway. Tipp need new blood.
    The thing is I know it now, many supporters dont get it because they actually know very little about hurling.
    same supporters who think paudi maher can go to full back sunday and lord it over Clare.

Tipp might win sunday and if they do great but i predict if tipp do win, it will be only our win of the year.

Sure look, it's all opinions, isn't it? But where did anyone say Paidi would "lord" it at full back? I haven't heard that anyway. And talking about others not knowing much about hurling when you were banging on about "where's Ger Browne", strikes me that any moderately knowledgeable hurling fan would know what the story there was.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

Sure look, it's all opinions, isn't it? But where did anyone say Paidi would "lord" it at full back? I haven't heard that anyway. And talking about others not knowing much about hurling when you were banging on about "where's Ger Browne", strikes me that any moderately knowledgeable hurling fan would know what the story there was.

ah stop
    i course i know where he is. its a rhetorical question.
    lets get something straight, i am just posting what i believe. not personally attacking posters.
    on the other hand you are the fourth poster to have a go at me personally.

too many tipp players have too much mileage in their legs. nothing wrong with their hurling brains nor their hands. Its simple logic.
    Hurling is now more then ever a game of power, strength, stamina and speed.
    Limerick are the standard and tipp are a good bit off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

when the year is over we can all come back here and review the year.
    i bet every poster at that stage will be saying we need youth and power and speed to live with the likes of limerick and galway. Tipp need new blood.
    The thing is I know it now, many supporters dont get it because they actually know very little about hurling.
    same supporters who think paudi maher can go to full back sunday and lord it over Clare.

Tipp might win sunday and if they do great but i predict if tipp do win, it will be only our win of the year.

6 weeks ago you told us that Tipp had a great chance and would go very close this year. What happened in those 6 weeks to cause you to 'fear' for the future of Tipperary hurling.

You were also on here not two months ago singing the praises of Liam Sheedy who in your own words would do anything to win, but now you are accusing him of been negligent and jeopardising Tipperary hurling.

Forgive me if I dont put much stock in your opinions!

It's kind of refreshing that this years meltdown is happening before we even play :D

ah stop
    i course i know where he is. its a rhetorical question.
    lets get something straight, i am just posting what i believe. not personally attacking posters.
    on the other hand you are the fourth poster to have a go at me personally.

too many tipp players have too much mileage in their legs. nothing wrong with their hurling brains nor their hands. Its simple logic.
    Hurling is now more then ever a game of power, strength, stamina and speed.
    Limerick are the standard and tipp are a good bit off.

No, i took issue with what you posted, purely and simply. Doesn't read like a rhetorical statement to me but i will accept your clarification and, like i suggested, everyone entitled to their opinion and will leave it at that.

• Advertisement

Pogue eile wrote: »
    6 weeks ago you told us that Tipp had a great chance and would go very close this year. What happened in those 6 weeks to cause you to 'fear' for the future of Tipperary hurling.

You were also on here not two months ago singing the praises of Liam Sheedy who in your own words would do anything to win, but now you are accusing him of been negligent and jeopardising Tipperary hurling.

Forgive me if I dont put much stock in your opinions!

i expected sheedy to inject new blood.
    i was wrong and i admit it.
    i assumed the issue with ger browne would be sorted so he could play for tipp, i thought sheedy would pick cadell, brian mcgrath, willie connors,
    i assumed our bench would have the more senior players ready to come on and use their experience.

its now worked out like i thought it would. I think our bench for sunday looks weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Rosita

i expected sheedy to inject new blood.
    i was wrong and i admit it.
    i assumed the issue with ger browne would be sorted so he could play for tipp, i thought sheedy would pick cadell, brian mcgrath, willie connors,
    i assumed our bench would have the more senior players ready to come on and use their experience.

its now worked out like i thought it would. I think our bench for sunday looks weak.

Odd that you assumed those players would be starters and good enough to be starters but when they're on the bench you consider the bench to be weak.

where are the players from tipps 2 all ireland under 20 wins
    how is it possible only one of those players are on the starting team given the talent on those squads.
    it makes no sense.

Rosita wrote: »
    Odd that you assumed those players would be starters and good enough to be starters but when they're on the bench you consider the bench to be weak.

your looking at wrong.

who would you rather come off the bench

brendan maher, paudi maher, noel mcgrath, seamie callinan

or what is currently on the bench sunday.

Not hindsight to look back on those u/20 or 21 successes and see them as great managerial, collective team triumphs. I think that was obvious at the time. The Cork teams we played had better individual components, we had the better teams. I believe several of those will make the breakthrough and have good careers but it's just taking time. The last 18 months have obviously disrupted things, lack of competitive games hasn't been good for young lads who desperately need them for development. That has affected all teams but i think it's hit us particularly hard. I'd love to have seen a few break through but i don't know what goes on behind the scenes in terms of training, s&c etc so personally i think it's hard to make definitive judgements about who should or shouldn't be making the cut. The young guys will still get game time over the coming weeks so they can make statements if they are able.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

how is it possible only one of those players are on the starting team given the talent on those squads.
    it makes no sense.

Think the reality is those players aren't as good as expected and most have regressed unfortunately for whatever reason.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Not hindsight to look back on those u/20 or 21 successes and see them as great managerial, collective team triumphs. I think that was obvious at the time. The Cork teams we played had better individual components, we had the better teams. I believe several of those will make the breakthrough and have good careers but it's just taking time. The last 18 months have obviously disrupted things, lack of competitive games hasn't been good for young lads who desperately need them for development. That has affected all teams but i think it's hit us particularly hard. I'd love to have seen a few break through but i don't know what goes on behind the scenes in terms of training, s&c etc so personally i think it's hard to make definitive judgements about who should or shouldn't be making the cut. The young guys will still get game time over the coming weeks so they can make statements if they are able.

Thats all well and good Joe, but surely FoFo is in a far better position to know what our best 15 is as opposed to the collective knowledge of Liam Sheedy, Tommy Dunne, Daragh Egan, Eoin Kelly and Eammon O'Shea?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Rosita

your looking at wrong.

who would you rather come off the bench

brendan maher, paudi maher, noel mcgrath, seamie callinan

or what is currently on the bench sunday.

By the same token would it not be better to have 50/60/70 minutes from players like that than 15/20?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭farmerval

Think the reality is those players aren't as good as expected and most have regressed unfortunately for whatever reason.

I think the young players trying to break through are the ones that lost out the most in the covid enforced changes to the calender.

They have missed out on Colleges hurling, a reduced league last year, this year's league so condensed and Liam Sheedy's desire to get minutes into the older legs. Remember in 2019 after the round robin we thought we had no bench that the young players just weren't up to it. The Semi against Wexford, the contribution from the bench was a surprise to Tipp fans too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

it makes no sense.

There's two of those players on the team and a load on the bench and squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Ompala

Galway bet by Dublin today, despite being most peoples 2nd favourites after Limerick for Liam after the league. Only managed 1-14. Just goes to show Championship is another level, take nothing for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭1373

Thats all well and good Joe, but surely FoFo is in a far better position to know what our best 15 is as opposed to the collective knowledge of Liam Sheedy, Tommy Dunne, Daragh Egan, Eoin Kelly and Eammon O'Shea?
    It’s ****e like this , that ends most forums. By the way Tipp looks like a similar outfit to last year so I’d expect a similar ending. At least John and Noel are better rested heading into this year

1373 wrote: »
    It’s ****e like this , that ends most forums. By the way Tipp looks like a similar outfit to last year so I’d expect a similar ending. At least John and Noel are better rested heading into this year

Considering its not long since you said that there were Tipp players in the match day squad that wouldnt trouble a club team, you would be a fair judge of ''****e' :D

Considering its not long since you said that there were Tipp players in the match day squad that wouldnt trouble a club team, you would be a fair judge of ''****e' :D

And I stand by that . But you seem to forget the meaning of Gaa Discussion. It means people are allowed to give their opinions without being ridiculed because you’re opinions are different. Two of Tipps starting forwards tomorrow, have not big games with their clubs in a number of years, and that’s in my opinion

And I stand by that . But you seem to forget the meaning of Gaa Discussion. It means people are allowed to give their opinions without being ridiculed because you’re opinions are different. Two of Tipps starting forwards tomorrow, have not big games with their clubs in a number of years, and that’s in my opinion

Which two??

• Advertisement

Which two??

Work it out yourself , you seem to live on this page

Very hard to work it out when its complete and utter boll*x, you said you wanted a discussion so either name them or shut it.

You just can’t stop proving me right

You just can’t stop proving me right

Name them and have the courage of your convictions, either that or you are just a wum throwing mud at intercounty players.

Is that you Jim Bolger??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Don't feed the trolls, lads. You'll end up filling the thread with ambiguous, pointless nonsense.

formerlyET wrote: »
    Don't feed the trolls, lads. You'll end up filling the thread with ambiguous, pointless nonsense.

who are you classifying as trolls?

what is it about social media which makes people think they can say what they want about someone, when in the real world they wouldn't dare say anything like that to someone's face.
    look work away if it makes you happy in the real world.

anyway i hope tipp win tomorrow and win the all ireland and i am proven to be complete spoofer.
    but when the year ends badly just like last year i wont come on here and say i told you so. there wont be any need because it will be quiet clear why we failed and it will be the same reason as last year. A failure to inject new blood especially in midfield and at full back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

intresting posts tonight none about clare ......getting a small bit worried

No word of 93 Gealic Grounds

Where the tipperary half back line sang slivnamon while hurling clare people to death

Where Nicky English auditioned for live at the Appolo (Noels house at the time party back in 1993) while playing full forward

Tell Noel there will be no house party tonight :pac:

I had to check it wasn't the Arsenal thread I wandered into for a second :D

Looking forward to later on either way. in truth, I'm probably more hopeful than expectant of winning the All Ireland this year. i think it's Limericks to lose. Are they beatable? Sure, but it will take a mammoth effort from the challengers. We cant look past Clare who have some class players and a game under their belt already. I hope we are ready for it.

Galway and Waterford are still dangerous but I think that defeat in Extra time will crush Wexford. I have to wonder is it a rebuilding job there and I would doubt Davy is the man that will commit to this (in fairness he lives in Clare and that's a hell of a drive-up)

intresting posts tonight none about clare ......getting a small bit worried

No word of 93 Gaelic Grounds

Where the tipperary half back line sang slivnamon while hurling clare people to death

Where Nicky English auditioned for live at the Appolo (Noels house at the time party back in 1993) while playing full forward

Tell Noel there will be no house party tonight :pac:

A lot of water under the bridge since that day. Clare beat us plenty of times in the 90s and the harrowing defeat in 2018 still rankles. Its a derby, and will be a ding-dong battle tomorrow I'm sure. Id expect Tipp, but it will be close

• Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

A lot of water under the bridge since that day. Clare beat us plenty of times in the 90s and the harrowing defeat in 2018 still rankles. Its a derby, and will be a ding-dong battle tomorrow I'm sure. Id expect Tipp, but it will be close

I live a mile away from Anthony Daly , often over the years the topic of 93 has been brought up but any time I asked him about Nicky laughing I got no response

It was a tool by Daly to spur Clare on back in the day , English was and is still one of the most gracious hurling men around he was the scape goat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭osullic

Lads have any of ye heard anything about Bryan O’Mara. I remember they said he would be out about 6 weeks back in May. I think it’s been 9 since then. He looked like he was well able for the step up.

For those of you who managed to get tickets enjoy the atmosphere. Fantastic to get into a live inter county match.

It will be the telly and couch for me unfortunately.

Tiobraid Árann ABÚ!!

Advertisement