Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor tax - used car

• 03-07-2021 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Buying a car for which motor tax expired on 30/06

I do not want to drive car without tax, dealer suggest it is legal.

Can I ask him to pay for 3 months and send me disc once he receives one - I'll pay him tax for these 3 months?

I will pay tax once the 3 months period expires or I need to pay again as in the interim ownership would have changed.

Can Motor Tax be transferred from old to new owner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Jjohnrockk wrote: »
    Buying a car for which motor tax expired on 30/06

I do not want to drive car without tax, dealer suggest it is legal.

It's not legal. You will be however extremely unlucky if after explaining your situation you still will get fined.

Don't park in the street where there is enforcement - you will be fined then.
    Can I ask him to pay for 3 months and send me disc once he receives one - I'll pay him tax for these 3 months?

I will pay tax once the 3 months period expires or I need to pay again as in the interim ownership would have changed.

Can Motor Tax be transferred from old to new owner

It automatically goes with the car. So you can ask the dealer to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jjohnrockk

grogi wrote: »

It automatically goes with the car. So you can ask the dealer to do it.
    Thanks, I can order disc at my address once the transfer is complete after paying 6 euro for a lost disc? Dealer may not mail it to me.

Also, what documents should I get from dealer? first purchase so cluless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭CoBo55

When did you buy the car? You are only liable for tax for the month you bought it onwards. While yes it's illegal you'd want to be very unlucky to fall foul of the guards after you explain that you've only bought it. As was already said you are in danger of getting a ticket from a traffic warden.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s only out of tax 3 days, relax!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Jjohnrockk wrote: »
    Thanks, I can order disc at my address once the transfer is complete after paying 6 euro for a lost disc? Dealer may not mail it to me.

Also, what documents should I get from dealer? first purchase so cluless.

Did you sign the registration document? The dealer sends that away and a new registration document will be posted to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Dealers update new owner registration details online these days. It still takes time for motor tax division to process it.

Advertisement