Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External walls construction and insulation

• 02-07-2021 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

Just happened to be visiting a friend of OH today and extension underway. I was a bit shocked to see 200 mm cavity block and insulated board dabbed on to wall. I didnt look for long but it appeared to be 25mm polyurethane on plasterboard. Surely that cant be current practice in Dublin?!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Not regulation compliant

Obviously no professional input

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

PMBC wrote: »
    Just happened to be visiting a friend of OH today and extension underway. I was a bit shocked to see 200 mm cavity block and insulated board dabbed on to wall. I didnt look for long but it appeared to be 25mm polyurethane on plasterboard. Surely that cant be current practice in Dublin?!

200mm cavity block?
    215?

25mm PIR?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

Yes, Gumbo.
    I think, perhaps, there is an idea 'out there' that because 'you dont need planning permission' the B Regs dont apply. That's being nice about it. More obvious is as STB posted there is no professional input.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

maybe it will be pumped?
    specsavers next:confused:

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

maybe it will be pumped?

The OP is taking about a cavity block wall

I hope to god its not being "pumped" :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Thought the old Dot'N'Dab was an extinct method of construction,
    obviously not.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭pawdee

Interesting. Sounds dodgy to me! I have blocklayers starting an extension on Monday (weather permitting). It's a while since I was involved in the building game so I was wondering what the story is with building regs. Would I be correct in saying that even if an extension is exempt from planning (under 40m2) it still has to comply with current regs?

Would a 300mm wall with pumped cavity comply? I've bought 125mm floor insulation....would that comply as well? As for the flat roof I have no idea but the man who did my drawings will know.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,759 ✭✭✭✭muffler

pawdee wrote: »
    Interesting. Sounds dodgy to me! I have blocklayers starting an extension on Monday (weather permitting). It's a while since I was involved in the building game so I was wondering what the story is with building regs. Would I be correct in saying that even if an extension is exempt from planning (under 40m2) it still has to comply with current regs?

Would a 300mm wall with pumped cavity comply? I've bought 125mm floor insulation....would that comply as well? As for the flat roof I have no idea but the man who did my drawings will know.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Regardless of whether it's exempt or not building regs apply. Min for wall would be 350mm wide

kadman wrote: »
    Thought the old Dot'N'Dab was an extinct method of construction,
    obviously not.

So did I Kadman.
    Pawdee dont rely on the man who did the drawings - need to check what he has on the drawings before you get to roofing and have a problem with extras. Many posts on her re roof insulation, ventilation, warm deck and cold deck. decking, etc that are worth reading. Also check if your drawing specifies cavity tray insertion at the junction of new roof and old external wall - very often overlooked.
    Best of luck on Monday

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The insulation companies still have an approved method of using dot and dab. It’s not dead just yet, but I haven’t seen it in a new build in a long time!

• Advertisement

Gumbo wrote: »
    The insulation companies still have an approved method of using dot and dab. It’s not dead just yet, but I haven’t seen it in a new build in a long time!

Hardly with cavity block, though. Or do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Gumbo wrote: »

Having it approved is one thing, getting it done right is.....

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement