Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭farmer2018

Hi all. If anyone could help

I applied for Clare and Limerick panels. I would really prefer Clare as 30mins drive and 1 hour from Limerick. I am about no 200 on Limerick panel and 140 on Clare panel.

I think the Limerick panel is at about 180 and Clare 35. Panel was meant to close May 2021, extended now but they won't give the date it is extended until. If I got interview for Limerick soon I will more than likely have to take it as I doubt they will ever reach 140 in Clare. I am currently TCO in SW. I don't really know how these work if you turn down one etc.

Anyone who has recently got the CO for Limerick can someone tell me what area mainly are they recruiting for and what's it like? After initial training is there any chance working from home or will we be definitely be based in the office? Any help or advice welcomed. Public jobs don't really give any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

If you get Limerick you can apply for a transfer. It generally takes a couple of years but you apply the day you start work.

You could also do what someone I know did - if you get Limerick from this panel, take it and work in Limerick then apply for the next panel and put Clare as your No 1. You might then get called for Clare. The person I know was in Limerick looking for another county and managed to get their county of choice that way.

You will have to do the one year probation again, as far as I am aware, but it won't affect your increments. You don't go back to Level 1, you just continue on.

Where I am anyhow, we haven't had any suggestions, so far, as to when those of us working from home will be back in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Vologda69

acawarrior wrote: »
    The job I am going for in civil service would be shift work 24/7 but council would be 9-5.30.

Did you leave the public service? So you would recommend the civil service irrespective of the shift hours? Thanks

Yes I did and I dont regret it. I was working 8.30-5pm with little to no flexibility and an overbearing manager. Only you can decide whats right for you. But once youre in the civil service you will have to chance to move to other departments, locations etc So if the shifts dont suit or even the job at least you will have options down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭acawarrior

Vologda69 wrote: »
    Yes I did and I dont regret it. I was working 8.30-5pm with little to no flexibility and an overbearing manager. Only you can decide whats right for you. But once youre in the civil service you will have to chance to move to other departments, locations etc So if the shifts dont suit or even the job at least you will have options down the road.

Perfect answer thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jamp 123

Just looking for some advice,
    Does anyone know what the 24/7 shift is in Rosslare?
    do you get a one year probation contract to sign and an assignment document for shift premium?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Field east

Is there a difference as to how the Civil Service and the Counry Councils advertise re forming panels to fill job vacancies? I assume that they both form such panels. Secondly, when can we expect both to advertise - if there is a difference. Or has the whole Covid situation upset their recruiting schedules.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Hydration

Jamp 123 wrote: »
    Just looking for some advice,
    Does anyone know what the 24/7 shift is in Rosslare?
    do you get a one year probation contract to sign and an assignment document for shift premium?

I can only answer some of your questions as I am located in Dublin Port but yes you will be on a one year probation. HR will inform Payroll Shared Services Centre (PSSC) to put you on your 25% shift premium. All your documents should be emailed to you with all the information by HR. You will have to sign some of these and send them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jjnaas

Started as CO last November and am thinking of doing a springboard course. My preference would be computers/coding but don't know if that would be beneficial to progression. Any one any idea on courses which would be considered worthwhile in promotion terms
    Moomooland wrote: »
    I would say go and do a course you’re interested in. It’s very unusual that CO’s avail of further/third level course, in the place I used to work in I was the only CO that was attending a course out of 20 odd CO’s. it also looks great if you’re thinking of going for EO or HEO promotion. 👍

I would go for it for your own development and to have an exit option should you need it some day. The issue with the civil service these days is that the competiton for promotion is tough. You are up against people with Master's degrees, people with a decade in middle management in private sector, people with years of ecxperience abroad who want to return home and are way over qualified. There's also so many COs now entering with a degree.

I wouldn't go for coding unless it interests you. Think of this as an oppotunity to do something you have an interest 9in and something that will round you out and enhance your CV.

My own story is I left the civil service and then did a Springboard course. I'm a big advocate of them but there is a very high dropout rate on the tech ones because people go for it thinking it's the ticket to promotions and big jobs at the Multinationals but really it's very tough, requires a lot of work and it's not for everyone especially coding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 leahyie

Jood10 wrote: »
    Currently going through the process myself. Once I received the request for my documents I did tell my employer that there was a possibility of my leaving and that someone may be in touch for a reference (I know that this may not be an option for everybody). When I sent back all my documents I was asked if it was ok for PAS to contact my employer or did I wish to speak to him first. I'm assuming that I will be able to give my employer a months notice officially when/if formally offered a position.

Can I ask what the process is after your interview? I am due to have an interview for Tipperary in the next 2 weeks. If I pass will I get told what location and department I am offered before they start contacting my references? Where I live the furthest location I could be offered is about 2 drive from me, so I don't want my employer to be contacted about a reference if I am going to have to refuse the job due to distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Jood10

leahyie wrote: »
    Can I ask what the process is after your interview? I am due to have an interview for Tipperary in the next 2 weeks. If I pass will I get told what location and department I am offered before they start contacting my references? Where I live the furthest location I could be offered is about 2 drive from me, so I don't want my employer to be contacted about a reference if I am going to have to refuse the job due to distance.

The process for me was, interview, results, request for documents to start clearance which included a contact for reference. I have returned my documents and my Garda vetting is being processed at the moment.
    I was able to let my employer know what was happening and he returned the reference for for me.
    I haven’t been officially offered a position yet, hopefully by this happens soon when the vetting comes back. Best of luck with the interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Field east wrote: »
    Is there a difference as to how the Civil Service and the Counry Councils advertise re forming panels to fill job vacancies? I assume that they both form such panels. Secondly, when can we expect both to advertise - if there is a difference. Or has the whole Covid situation upset their recruiting schedules.

Civil service recruitment is managed by the Public Appointments Service. County Councils are public service and each council generally manages their own recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jamp 123

Thanks for the information, the shift seems to be 5 eight hour days approx, if anyone could confirm this I would appreciate it, what's it like working in Dublin port?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Hydration

Jamp 123 wrote: »
    Thanks for the information, the shift seems to be 5 eight hour days approx, if anyone could confirm this I would appreciate it, what's it like working in Dublin port?

Its a very demanding job working as a Customs Officer in Dublin Port thats all I will say. I wont go into detail on the negative aspects here.

Currently you work a 4 day week, 5 day week and 7 day week over a 9 week cycle rotating between teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭furrybones

jjnaas wrote: »
    .......... I'm a big advocate of them but there is a very high dropout rate on the tech ones because people go for it thinking it's the ticket to promotions and big jobs at the Multinationals but really it's very tough, requires a lot of work and it's not for everyone especially coding.

Totally agree re the dropout rate. There is also a presumed prior knowledge of coding so it's definitely not for those who have no experience with it.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Elzbellz

Hello all, can three years county council experience be used a service when starting a job in the civil service? I am asking about having a bearing on increments in salary, Thanks

Hi, I was able to talk about my TCO experience in detail and this would have assisted my score in areas such as commitment to public service, however interview invite had nothing to with my current position as TCO.thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 imagusaran

Don't know if this would be the right place to ask but would like some guidance if possible before I ask my boss/HR. I started as a Clerical Officer in Dublin last month. My boyfriend is over in Scotland for a few months (he's from there, he is employed with an Irish company but they gave him permission to go back to Scotland for a few months and wfh so that he can spend time with family). I was planning on visiting for a week or two in September if restrictions allow for it and I'm aware of the rules around civil servants and unnecessary overseas travel. Just wondering, am I allowed to wfh for a few days whilst I'm over there or do I have to take annual leave as I won't be in Ireland??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

imagusaran wrote: »
    Don't know if this would be the right place to ask but would like some guidance if possible before I ask my boss/HR. I started as a Clerical Officer in Dublin last month. My boyfriend is over in Scotland for a few months (he's from there, he is employed with an Irish company but they gave him permission to go back to Scotland for a few months and wfh so that he can spend time with family). I was planning on visiting for a week or two in September if restrictions allow for it and I'm aware of the rules around civil servants and unnecessary overseas travel. Just wondering, am I allowed to wfh for a few days whilst I'm over there or do I have to take annual leave as I won't be in Ireland??

I'd say youd need to take AL.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭08122019

Hi all,

I am sure everyone in here is sick of the question but does anyone know where they currently are for Dublin?

I have a friend who interviewed last week and came around 100 in batch 25. I told her based on what I read here that they were still on batch 24 so she could have a bit of a wait but apparently a colleague of hers who also interviewed and placed in the same batch was contacted for references.

She’s going to get in touch with them tomorrow but just thought I’d see if anyone here has an idea in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ahem123

08122019 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am sure everyone in here is sick of the question but does anyone know where they currently are for Dublin?

I have a friend who interviewed last week and came around 100 in batch 25. I told her based on what I read here that they were still on batch 24 so she could have a bit of a wait but apparently a colleague of hers who also interviewed and placed in the same batch was contacted for references.

She’s going to get in touch with them tomorrow but just thought I’d see if anyone here has an idea in the meantime.

I was 13 in batch 24 and signed my contract last Thursday if that helps.

• Advertisement

Hi, does anyone know what batch they are on for Sligo atm? I just got interview result today.thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭08122019

Ahem123 wrote: »
    I was 13 in batch 24 and signed my contract last Thursday if that helps.

That’s great. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

I'd say youd need to take AL.

Yeah it would be annual leave - any quarantine related to travel is also annual leave not WFH.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭xxsammyxx085

Hi everyone.

I'm due to start in DEASP in early August . When I look online its saying the particular office is only open 2-3 mornings a week for a few hours. Does anyone know what hours I'll actually be working? I'm just a bit stuck for childcare for the couple of weeks before school starts so would be great to know the hours!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭EO2019

That the hours they are open to the public. You’ll still be working full time. Prob something like 9.00-4.00 for training. I have heard of people deferring their start date until the second week of September due to school and childcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭xxsammyxx085

EO2019 wrote: »
    That the hours they are open to the public. You’ll still be working full time. Prob something like 9.00-4.00 for training. I have heard of people deferring their start date until the second week of September due to school and childcare.

Thanks a million for that, I might contact the lady and see if that might be a possibility for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ah91

Hi, does anyone know if WFH is likely to be in place in the court services?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Elliechin123

Hi all,

I'm just looking for a bit of advice. I've been offered a role in DSP but I'm in a bit of a sticky situation. My bf is likely to be moved from his job in January and we don't know where he will end up(in Ireland) I am wondering if there will be an option to WFH as I know it can take a long time to move counties as a clerical officer. A remote job would probably suit better atm but even if I had to do a few days in office it would work. Any advice would help. Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Koolkat1

Hi does anyone know what bath and OOM for dublin please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Lou147

Hi, I got an email saying my Garda vetting was complete and a copy was sent to PAS does anyone know what the next step is? Will PAS be in contact with me?

Advertisement