Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SUV for farming

• 02-07-2021 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭

Hi all, my car is on its last legs, need a suv for the odd trailor journey to local Mart and coop, would prefer a fairly robust suv, I've it narrowed down to a Ford kuga and a Toyota rav 4.
    My daily commute is short, 20km one way, lots of short journeys so petrol might be the obvious choice but from my limited knowledge, diesel is more effective at low revs for towing.
    Any one recommend either of these choices & is it always diesel? Budget 8k

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Base price

jfh wrote: »
    Hi all, my car is on its last legs, need a suv for the odd trailor journey to local Mart and coop, would prefer a fairly robust suv, I've it narrowed down to a Ford kuga and a Toyota rav 4.
    My daily commute is short, 20km one way, lots of short journeys so petrol might be the obvious choice but from my limited knowledge, diesel is more effective at low revs for towing.
    If you only need a jeep for the odd trailer journey to your local mart or co-op then I would suggest buying a tractor trailer as it is far more economical than buying a suv/jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭jfh

Base price wrote: »
    If you only need a jeep for the odd trailer journey to your local mart or co-op then I would suggest buying a tractor trailer as it is far more economical than buying a suv/jeep.

Sorry should have mentioned that I'm doing most of my Mart runs on a tractor about 20km away too, not too far but far enough when you need to get back to drive to work afterwards!
    Also I'm sick of replacing bushions and cv joints on my cars carrying bags of nuts etc up through the farm yard so was thinking of a robust suv, sister had a i35 seemed soft, won't be going through fields but farm roadway is not the smoothest

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Sorry should have mentioned that I'm doing most of my Mart runs on a tractor about 20km away too, not too far but far enough when you need to get back to drive to work afterwards!
    Also I'm sick of replacing bushions and cv joints on my cars carrying bags of nuts etc up through the farm yard so was thinking of a robust suv, sister had a i35 seemed soft, won't be going through fields but farm roadway is not the smoothest
    It maybe a stupid question but do you have a transport/link box for the tractor.

Base price wrote: »
    It maybe a stupid question but do you have a transport/link box for the tractor.

I do, it's usually a case of flying home from work and straight into the coop for milk replacer, nuts, concrete etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭josephsoap

What size of trailer will you be pulling with it ?

Most SUV’s don’t have great towing capacity - very few over 2000kg

• Advertisement

josephsoap wrote: »
    What size of trailer will you be pulling with it ?

Most SUV’s don’t have great towing capacity - very few over 2000kg

Looking at my last draw to the Mart last week, I'd 1000kg of Livestock, it's a 10 ×5 box so I think that's definitely under 1000kg, guess I'd bring the tractor if carrying big weight

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Looking at my last draw to the Mart last week, I'd 1000kg of Livestock, it's a 10 ×5 box so I think that's definitely under 1000kg, guess I'd bring the tractor if carrying big weight

You would get away with Tiguan/ RAV4 so,

It’s just a matter of finding something decent within your budget.

Do you have a bigger trailer for the tractor?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

For comfort the Kuga is way ahead, The RAV 4 is a horrible car, noisy, hard sprung, doesn't handle well at all.
    So noisy that it's difficult to hear those in the back,
    Hilux is actually more comfortable and less noisy,, I only kept the Rav two years, life's too short :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Maybe have a look at the Nissan qashqai?

Have a duster here and it does what it says on the tin. If looking at a duster the 152 on were seemingly made in Europe and better than the previous rhd shell/model.

But the qashqai uses the same engine which is a good thing and is supposed to be more refined/quieter inside than the duster.

Moved from an 07 passat to the 152 duster and it's a step up. Nicer driving position, better acceleration, less fuel use.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Am I the only one thinking that 8k of a budget is going to leave the OP limited enough as regards selection? Granted I know nothing about the second hand SUV market but all vehicles seem to be appreciating in value atm. I'd be of the option that it would be hard to find a newish, low milage option at that money. Once you start going back in the years and higher milage you'll always have higher maintenance costs and there's a greater risk of it turning out to be a disaster of a yolk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭148multi

A lada niva, cheap and cheerful with minimal electrics

wrangler wrote: »
    For comfort the Kuga is way ahead, The RAV 4 is a horrible car, noisy, hard sprung, doesn't handle well at all.
    So noisy that it's difficult to hear those in the back,
    Hilux is actually more comfortable and less noisy,, I only kept the Rav two years, life's too short :D
    Appreciate the feedback, exactly what I was looking for, I'd heard the kuga was better alright

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Have a 2.0 140bhp Kuga here.
    Great compromise. Very comfortable family car and very capable with trailer. I’ve done massive journeys towing and it’s faultless, our last round trip out with the caravan was 1700km and the Kuga was easy going all the way.
    Use it for mart and meal from stores all the time.

Maybe have a look at the Nissan qashqai?

Have a duster here and it does what it says on the tin. If looking at a duster the 152 on were seemingly made in Europe and better than the previous rhd shell/model.

But the qashqai uses the same engine which is a good thing and is supposed to be more refined/quieter inside than the duster.

Moved from an 07 passat to the 152 duster and it's a step up. Nicer driving position, better acceleration, less fuel use.
    I would have thought the dacia would be a lightweight suv?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I would have thought the dacia would be a lightweight suv?

It is but still a very capable tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Is it going to be the only vehicle? If low mileage a pickup may be worth it. Trips to the coop and around the farm would be no bother and trailer work similar. With lower mileage there should be less wear and tear maintenance at least. Have a car and van now, little mileage done here but the farm jobs destroy a car, at least now if I need to go somewhere in some respectable state i don't have the gut the car as well. When van stops I may look at a jeep of some sort for farm just to be able to do all jobs but managing away fine.
    If there is another car in the house perhaps a pickup would do for the commute and farm and car for everything else

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭selectamatic

A van is what I'd be getting if I was you.

2.0hdi Peugeot expert, citreon dispatch or a fiat scudo can be good value. Considering their load space and decent towing rating of 2000kg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

RAV all the way. Kuga's get troublesome when they are worked hard. I drove one for a few year with work. Serviced regularly no real weight on it. It started to wear tyres on the back they could not fix it. The particular filter also started to give trouble after 200 k on the 3-4 we had at work. It used to go into limp mode.

I have retired and bought a 2.2L RAV two years ago. It's 2010 tax as 390 but is gone up some were 540. 2008/9 models are 750 tax. Pre 2010 some of the 2.2 engines gave issues AFAIK.

Would be towing at the 2T limit most of the time. Ya Toyota's may be boring but they are workhorses whether it's a Yaris,Auris, Avensis or a RAV. They are just very dependable knock on wood. I have 35k miles put up on it and I have only put a wiper motor and tyres in it other than servicing

It's worth more than I paid for it at present. I paid 7 k similar ones at present are making 8/9k

Stay away from VW's the only other option is a Honda CRV but they are 1-2k more and slightly heavier on juice. RAV aveverag s 39/40, 41 on a long run on cruise control. CRV is back 2-3 mph behind it. Kuga is similar to RAV.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭148multi

_Brian wrote: »
    Have a 2.0 140bhp Kuga here.
    Great compromise. Very comfortable family car and very capable with trailer. I’ve done massive journeys towing and it’s faultless, our last round trip out with the caravan was 1700km and the Kuga was easy going all the way.
    Use it for mart and meal from stores all the time.

Yes the 2l kuga is the one, the 1.6 ones have good power but also good trade in engines for them.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Is it going to be the only vehicle? If low mileage a pickup may be worth it. Trips to the coop and around the farm would be no bother and trailer work similar. With lower mileage there should be less wear and tear maintenance at least. Have a car and van now, little mileage done here but the farm jobs destroy a car, at least now if I need to go somewhere in some respectable state i don't have the gut the car as well. When van stops I may look at a jeep of some sort for farm just to be able to do all jobs but managing away fine.
    If there is another car in the house perhaps a pickup would do for the commute and farm and car for everything else

We had a pickup & I'd absolutely go back to one again in the morning but I'd need double cab & I'd need far more of a budget.

• Advertisement

Am I the only one thinking that 8k of a budget is going to leave the OP limited enough as regards selection? Granted I know nothing about the second hand SUV market but all vehicles seem to be appreciating in value atm. I'd be of the option that it would be hard to find a newish, low milage option at that money. Once you start going back in the years and higher milage you'll always have higher maintenance costs and there's a greater risk of it turning out to be a disaster of a yolk.

I might just get something to tide me over until the market settles down, there's a few old kugas & crv pre 2008 that can be picked up reasonably under 2k

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I might just get something to tide me over until the market settles down, there's a few old kugas & crv pre 2008 that can be picked up reasonably under 2k

I understand what you mean and I was often in the same position myself. You can only work with what you have but I'd make sure to carry out due diligence before purchasing anything. There's nothing as dear a bad yolk in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Tax on 2.2l CRV's and RAV's pre 2008(2007 back) is crazy about 1k/ year. Kuga's are 2008 on. As well at that age they may be effecting your insurance as well. The only way I buy a 3007 back RAV/ CRV is if they were low milage and coming for 2-3 k

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement