Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

222 ammunition

Options
  • 01-07-2021 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I'm looking for some hornady 50 grain v max superformance ammunition in 222
    If anyone has seen some on a dealers shelf could you let me know. Have access to other brands but this is the most effective on foxes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Don't mean to hijack the thread - but what other ammo are you using?

I'm using SAKO .222 Rem 50GR SP Gamehead and Norma BT only used on paper and rabbits so far. Happy enough, but I would like to know what other brand are worth a look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 sionnach dubh

Yeah, using the 50 gr sako softpoints as well as their 40 gr balistic tips, also tried federal 50 gr soft point, lapua 55 gr soft point, winchester super x soft point and their 40 gr balistic silvertip
    The sako ammo is probably the most accurate in my rifle both averaging about half an inch but the hornady seems to hit harder and kill better. 222 used mainly for an ambush rifle in the evenings and lamping small fields

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Bought a .222 a couple weeks back, just waiting for licence.

saw this online

https://www.mccullaghsports.ie/ammunition/

scroll down green box

Glad to see I'm not on my own.

slipperyox, what did you buy?

cz 527, wood, standard threaded.
    Had to go UK to import

• Advertisement

I picked up a CZ527 too, secound hand. Ardee Sports had them listed as new, but I got mine by chance, I went up to get a 22 Hornet and ended up with the .222. I had fancied one for a while, so I suppose I went with the heart and not the head.

Same as me, they make no sense with 223's about, yet there is something gentleman like and connoisseur about them.

30% less powder than a 223 and only 100 to 200 fps less.

The combination of that ammunition in the mini mauser action with controlled feed what else can you ask for. Some have described the .222 Rem as a small clone of the 7×57mm Mauser.
    I'm afraid my one is a bit tarted up in an after market stock , but it suits my night vision set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 sionnach dubh

To be honest I wouldn't feel undergunned going out with one either as most of my fox shooting would be sub 200 yards, come to think of it 90 per cent would be sub 150.
    It was sentiment that drew me back to a 222 as well, had an Anschutz when those caliber came back at first. I shot a lot of foxes with that rifle over a few years, it was an absolute tack driver but the 204,s appeared and I traded it for one, a huge regret as I found the 204 a really frustrating caliber, brilliant in theory, fussy as hell ammo wise. Only thing saved them was 39 grn federal. Anyway after going through every other caliber up to 243 for foxing nostalgia brought me back to the 222

The lack of use of my .22 (a rifle and calibre I never thought I'd part with) and the entry into night vision got me looking at the .22 honet, a calibre I thought would bridge the gap between a rim fire and centre fire. A good bunny basher and fox getter in one. Gone were the days I'd shoot 20 to 30 rabbits in an outing so calibre expense was not an issue.
    I literally came across the .222 by chance when looking at a hornet in a shop. I off handedly said to the dealer that my desire would be a .222 and low and behold he had two on the shelf. After a week of mulling it around I went back up to the shop and ended up with the .222.
    Like yourself, most of my foxs are shot well under 200 yards and that's with .243, 270 and the odd one with the '06, so I'm quite happy to use this as my foxing and rabbit rifle. Experience has shown me to ensure clean rabbit head shots as a downward angle head shot clipped the shoulders and opened the rabbit up like a filleted kipper. Looking forward to a bit more use in the coming months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement