Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Open 2021 [No Covid posts]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Motivator

big_drive wrote: »
    I stayed on the 17th tee for a long while today watching groups pass through.
    Things that I noted, I was surprised how low many tee the ball for driver. Was amazed again at the ball flights, something else.
    The height on drives was higher that I'd have thought, but on some trajectory
    Plus when they say a player draws or fades their drives it's hardly even a movement, couple of yards either way. Their draw or fade is what we'd call a straight shot

Out on the course with irons etc the majority really seem to favour a cut shot

Really grateful I ended up with a ticket today, really enjoyed the day. Shame there isn't more allowed. The one benefit for those lucky to be there is that you can see lot more and get closer than usual

Great place to pass an hour or more is the range or practice putting green. Can see some serious skill on show

I agree with everything you say here except for the crowds. Today was absolutely perfect and the course really isn’t set up to take massive crowds. There are quite a few bottlenecks on some holes and not a whole lot of comfort to be had. Even with the crowd following McIlroy and Lowry’s groups today there were people who couldn’t see a thing. I followed some of the lesser known groups for a few holes each and avoided the Mcilroy and Lowry groups until I could actually see them. Much more enjoyable I thought. Great to see these guys up close and see them navigate the course.

A big mix of people up there today. Huge amount of people with absolutely no interest in golf, I got asked by people if it was the pro-am today. A lot of lads aged around 13 or 14 with pints in both hands “encouraging” (shouting) at different groups and then there were actual golf fans there too. It’s a pity people missed out on tickets while those got them. It is what is though, if they paid their money or got given tickets then there’s nothing that can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beaulieu

Back from my 30th Irish Open -great day..
    Felt like more than 5k there especially with groups following Shane (am) & Rors (pm).
    The prices for the (very small) merchandise stall were simply crazy -and I mean crazy. €12 for a ball marker crazy.
    Sun shone...golf was live and MJ looked simply stunning.

However...
    Be careful with following directions to the course - believe it or not you need to follow the signs for "Emergency route" - I kid you not!
    Loads of Guards sitting in cars -checking their mobiles -chatting to one another -but directing no-one.

Didnt see any start sheets on the way in (we got there eventually about 10.15 having had to backtrack after following signs that brought us to what turned out to be a Special Invited Guests car park!) So have your own ready as they are very handy.
    Great day though -roll on No 31.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post, for anyone wanting to be really entertained just follow any of the players on the longer par 4s or any of the par 5s. Seeing these guys in full flow with a driver in their hands is unbelievable. Their timing, balance and rhythm has to be seen up close to be believed. The game these guys play is just a different level to any of the test of us. The only thing that resembles the game we play are the odd 3 putts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CPC90

paulc87 wrote: »
    Have an adult Sunday ticket and looking to swap for Saturday one if anyone interested. Long shot I know!

I’m looking to buy a ticket for Sunday if you have any interest in selling let me know. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I stayed on the 17th tee for a long while today watching groups pass through.
    Things that I noted, I was surprised how low many tee the ball for driver. Was amazed again at the ball flights, something else.
    The height on drives was higher that I'd have thought, but on some trajectory
    Plus when they say a player draws or fades their drives it's hardly even a movement, couple of yards either way. Their draw or fade is what we'd call a straight shot

Out on the course with irons etc the majority really seem to favour a cut shot

Really grateful I ended up with a ticket today, really enjoyed the day. Shame there isn't more allowed. The one benefit for those lucky to be there is that you can see lot more and get closer than usual

Great place to pass an hour or more is the range or practice putting green. Can see some serious skill on show

Was there today as a volunteer on the 7th tee from 1pm until about 6.30 so I saw a lot of tee shots. Noticed the same thing you did with driver and even 3w, hybrid and driving iron seemed to be teed very low to me but they had no trouble. Strangest thing I saw all day was Oliver Wilsons tee/setup, he grabs a wedge, hacks into the turf back towards himself to make a sort of tee for the ball. Props the ball up on the highest point of the divot he just dug and tees from there, no actual tee involved. Mental approach, never seen that done before. He blazed his first well right and had to hit a provisional, his second seemed to catch the divot but still went plenty far.

Other thing I noticed, very few Srixon (probably none actually) sponsored players use their woods or hybrids, almost all of those players had Taylor Made Sim2 instead as their fairways. Saw a fair few older clubs too, M1 Driver, M6 fairway, m3 hybrid etc. Taylor Made definitely the most widely used woods as far as I can tell, Callaway seemed to have the most sponsored players though.
    Motivator wrote: »
    I agree with everything you say here except for the crowds. Today was absolutely perfect and the course really isn’t set up to take massive crowds. There are quite a few bottlenecks on some holes and not a whole lot of comfort to be had. Even with the crowd following McIlroy and Lowry’s groups today there were people who couldn’t see a thing. I followed some of the lesser known groups for a few holes each and avoided the Mcilroy and Lowry groups until I could actually see them. Much more enjoyable I thought. Great to see these guys up close and see them navigate the course.

A big mix of people up there today. Huge amount of people with absolutely no interest in golf, I got asked by people if it was the pro-am today. A lot of lads aged around 13 or 14 with pints in both hands “encouraging” (shouting) at different groups and then there were actual golf fans there too. It’s a pity people missed out on tickets while those got them. It is what is though, if they paid their money or got given tickets then there’s nothing that can be done.

Didn't see any of that down where I was at the 6th green/7th tee I have to say though heard reports of some drunk eejit following Rory. Seemed quiet to me where I was apart from ten minutes before Rory when it got busy for a while. As soon as he was gone through it was deserted and the rest of the groups had almost nobody watching them. Felt a bit sorry for them, particularly on the 6th which was playing incredibly tough. Saw two birdies all day and both had only myself and 2 other volunteers to applaud them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Really enjoyed the day at the Irish Open today. Had the place to ourselves. We were literally the only 3 patrons on several of the greens. Crowds following McIlroy and Tommy group.
    Watched several of the lesser known groups at different stages of various holes.
    As there were so few around, it all felt quite personal. Coetzee took relief from a sprinkler halfway down the 8th, did get a great lie, hit a fairly average shot and turned to us and said "Lads, don't ever bother taking relief!"
    On 14th, after applauding Johannes Veerman's birdie, he give me a big smile and a thumbs up. I was the only one there!
    Shot of the day on the 4th Robert Rock hits his approach 6 feet past the flag and nearly spins it back into the hole.
    Agree with previous poster about the poor range and price of the merchandise. Disagree totally on comment about the Gardai who I found were friendly and helpful.
    Overall great day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Really enjoyed the day at the Irish Open today. Had the place to ourselves. We were literally the only 3 patrons on several of the greens. Crowds following McIlroy and Tommy group.
    Watched several of the lesser known groups at different stages of various holes.
    As there were so few around, it all felt quite personal. Coetzee took relief from a sprinkler halfway down the 8th, did get a great lie, hit a fairly average shot and turned to us and said "Lads, don't ever bother taking relief!"
    On 14th, after applauding Johannes Veerman's birdie, he give me a big smile and a thumbs up. I was the only one there!
    Shot of the day on the 4th Robert Rock hits his approach 6 feet past the flag and nearly spins it back into the hole.
    Agree with previous poster about the poor range and price of the merchandise. Disagree totally on comment about the Gardai who I found were friendly and helpful.
    Overall great day out.

You lost me at patrons...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Word of warning to anyone going today or over the weekend. Food trucks in the main “Village” area, be prepared to be queuing for up to an hour at the burger or fish&chips vans

Better to head to area by the 13/14th instead

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

We had a really enjoyable day at Mount Juliet yesterday for Day 1 of the Irish Open. The venue was easy to find, parking in the general car park was only 5 minutes walk back to the course and everyone was fairly relaxed. You could immediately notice that there was a fairly low adherence to the mask 'rule' and it seemed to be up to yourself as to whether you wore it or not. There was absolutely no hassle from anyone about bringing food and drinks in.

With the exception of the groups following Lowry, McIlroy or McDowell where it was a bit of a free for all you could easily socially distance and most people respected your space. We followed a few smaller groups for a while, then parked ourselves at the landing area for drives on the 9th and got to see loads up pretty close before having another wander around with miscellaneous groups. Like other posters sometimes we were the only ones at a green applauding a good shot.

It's great to see the pros up close in action and how they set themselves up for the shots right through to their reaction afterwards. I hope everyone enjoys the rest of the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Benny Cake wrote: »
    You lost me at patrons...

:D
    Mount Juliet had that Augusta feel about it yesterday.
    Patrons felt appropriate :)

• Advertisement

Just a question regarding tickets yesterday, a guy I work with said he and a few others got in without his ticket being checked. Did anyone else have this? We had ours scanned when we left Carpark 3 but he went in the same entrance and was just waved through.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Ours were definitely scanned on the way in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Speak Now wrote: »
    Dale Whitnell.

Good call, the reserve is doing well, top of the leaderboard!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

-3 looks like a lock for cut.

Shane back to -2 after a bogey on 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Course looking brilliant

It doesn't look great on TV. Alot of what looks like fairly poor ground on fairways, mixtures of different greens shades on alot of fairways. Amazed that it's not perfect like it always is.

Greens look totally perfect as they always do, but on the overheads, the fairways look poor.

It doesn't look great on TV. Alot of what looks like fairly poor ground on fairways, mixtures of different greens shades on alot of fairways. Amazed that it's not perfect like it always is.

Greens look totally perfect as they always do, but on the overheads, the fairways look poor.

I think it's that we're used to the ultra immaculate courses you see on the PGA tour where it looks like the grass is painted green. Even some of our best links courses don't look great on TV. Also hasn't been much rain the last few weeks.

Thought the same re the fairways but also thought some of the greens didn't look hectic from overhead shots, they've only had the course a couple of weeks from the members and the pga tour courses probably have millions pumped into them every year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I think it's that we're used to the ultra immaculate courses you see on the PGA tour where it looks like the grass is painted green. Even some of our best links courses don't look great on TV. Also hasn't been much rain the last few weeks.

Thought the same re the fairways but also thought some of the greens didn't look hectic from overhead shots, they've only had the course a couple of weeks from the members and the pga tour courses probably have millions pumped into them every year.

yeah not sure its that. Links will always have that with the native grasses. I've played MJ probably 10 times and been there for countless tournaments in the 90's and the WGC's and it's always perfect. It could be may a disease problem they have on some of the fairways? It's uncharacteristic though.

yeah not sure its that. Links will always have that with the native grasses. I've played MJ probably 10 times and been there for countless tournaments in the 90's and the WGC's and it's always perfect. It could be may a disease problem they have on some of the fairways? It's uncharacteristic though.

I'd say the people down there this week would also say the course is perfect it's only when you get the overhead shots you see parts of it aren't great. I played it last year and it was very wet. Good shot of rain coming over the next few days should help it also.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 42 nonsheep7

Beaulieu wrote: »
    Back from my 30th Irish Open -great day..
    Felt like more than 5k there especially with groups following Shane (am) & Rors (pm).
    The prices for the (very small) merchandise stall were simply crazy -and I mean crazy. €12 for a ball marker crazy.
    Sun shone...golf was live and MJ looked simply stunning.

However...
    Be careful with following directions to the course - believe it or not you need to follow the signs for "Emergency route" - I kid you not!
    Loads of Guards sitting in cars -checking their mobiles -chatting to one another -but directing no-one.

Didn't see any start sheets on the way in (we got there eventually about 10.15 having had to backtrack after following signs that brought us to what turned out to be a Special Invited Guests car park!) So have your own ready as they are very handy.
    Great day though -roll on No 31.

BEWARE of those signs around the beautiful area of Bennetsbridge and Thomastown , the one that says carpark 1 is NOT for spectators. Having followed an ever ending trail of these signs we ended up in the carpark only to be told by the courteous South African sounding attendant that it was not for the general public ,he said he had been turning people away all day. He then said to follow the signs for emergency vehicles !! we had to backtrack and cost us about an hour after travelling for 3 and a half hours to the event on a hot sticky day yesterday Thursday. I will post other advice for sat and sun punters later as only just back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Car park 4 is the one for the general public, just hit Stoneyford and you can't get lost.

Big field for the weekend if cut goes to -2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Just saw Lowry drive off the 18th. The fairway looks in very poor condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Speak Now wrote: »
    Car park 4 is the one for the general public, just hit Stoneyford and you can't get lost.

Big field for the weekend if cut goes to -2.

21 players on -2 :eek:

Just saw Lowry drive off the 18th. The fairway looks in very poor condition.

Ground is rock hard, fairways are actually perfect as it's just brown grass.

21 players on -2 :eek:

66 on -3 or better, went to 65 briefly.

-3 it is, tough on Colm Moriarty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Trampas

Shane 8 behind Herbert and 8 shots worse than him on par 5’s

He’s birdied every par 5 on both days.

Trampas wrote: »
    Shane 8 behind Herbert and 8 shots worse than him on par 5’s

He’s birdied every par 5 on both days.

That's impressive from Herbert.

The organisers and more importantly the players don’t care how it looks on tv, they care about how it plays and it plays absolutely beautiful. Herbert said they’re the best greens he’s putted on all year. I played it myself at the start of the month and they were like nothing I’d seen before, total perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭big_drive

Watching today on tv. Must say it looked so much better in person yesterday. But as previous posters said players won't mind if doing well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭thelostboys23

Know a couple of members there and they sprayed something 2 weeks ago and organisers and TV were apparently unhappy as it would affect how it looked on tv. In great condition other than that was told.

Advertisement