Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which hybrid for beginner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

The top one is not a hybrid and is heavy.. Personally I wouldn't have shocks on a hybrid but you have to say what you want the bike to do. I started with a Cube and it was fantastic. I wanted the ability to take it down bumpy roads sometimes but stay mostly on main roads. I changed the tyres eventually to road tyres and it make the bike even better.

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I'd go for this one..
    I'd avoid suspension unless you intend doing some downhill,off-road cycling.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/bikes-available-stock/boardman-urb-8.9-urban-hybrid-bike-2021---small-426942.html

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

As above, the front of suspension will add a lot of extra weight, maybe without much advantage. It depends on the riding you’re expecting to do. If you’re planning to cycle mainly on roads then a lighter bike will probably be better for you than a bike with front suspension. The heavy bike might make hills very tough.

If you’re looking in Halfords, I’ve seen this bike quoted a couple of times here as a potential good buy:

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/bikes-available-stock/boardman-urb-8.9-urban-hybrid-bike-2021---small-426942.html

Also check out Giant or Trek bikes. Something like this:

https://dublin2bike.ie/product/giant-escape-3-disc-2021/

or this

https://www.thinkbike.ie/bikes/hybrid-bikes/2021-ridgeback-motion-mens-hybrid-bike-in-red__6456

Go see the bikes, lift them up to check weight, look at the quality of components, try to take a test ride to check sizing if possible and you’ll get the best idea.

I don’t know about the two shops linked above but I think Halfords can be a bit hit and miss as there’s can be a high turnover of staff. I would start with your most local shop and see what they have as it’s a lot easier when you need a repair or a quick bit of adjustment or advice if the shop is local and they know you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

If you plan to use the bike frequently, or if you are using B2W, then I think your budget is too low.

I got this one last year - the 2019 model - and its really good, very happy with it.

https://www.theedge-sports.com/cycling-c18/bikes-c19/hybrid-bikes-c200/trek-fx-3-2019-p20916

Compare it to a car:

If you use a car 3 or 4 times a week - and you use a bike 3 or 4 times a week (hypothetically).....

Most people spend 3k-4k per annum on a car, all in. Thats 12k-15k over 4 years. If you have a bike for 4 years.....even a very decent bike costs a small fraction of that (never mind all the health benefits).

You will spend more time on a better bike. Just nicer to be on.

Dont forget though that the fit is also really important.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭Treppen

Great replies, thanks For the advice. Good point on the budget and cycling every day to work.
    Ya it's through the bike to work scheme so I suppose I could go a bit higher.

It would mainly be for road but would like the option to turn left down some bumpy downhill walking trails for a wee bit of adrenaline. I'm light enough (bout 12 stone) and 5'10" .

Have only started looking now but Halfords have zilch on the floor to look at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    If you plan to use the bike frequently, or if you are using B2W, then I think your budget is too low.

I got this one last year - the 2019 model - and its really good, very happy with it.

https://www.theedge-sports.com/cycling-c18/bikes-c19/hybrid-bikes-c200/trek-fx-3-2019-p20916

Compare it to a car:

If you use a car 3 or 4 times a week - and you use a bike 3 or 4 times a week (hypothetically).....

Most people spend 3k-4k per annum on a car, all in. Thats 12k-15k over 4 years. If you have a bike for 4 years.....even a very decent bike costs a small fraction of that (never mind all the health benefits).

You will spend more time on a better bike. Just nicer to be on.

Dont forget though that the fit is also really important.

I want to get something for maybe doing 20-30 km about 3 times a week on country roads- pretty much leisure cycling. Would this be the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

take the €1200 euro limit. It will cost you €600 if your in the higher bracket and you can afford it. I thought the same as you with the hybrid. I realised my Trek Domane road bike was able for the bumpy bits that I would go down if I was careful. But for hybrids, trek, cube, giant are all excellent. Your only issue is supply. Their is not much around so you might just need to get what you cant assuming it fits you nice.

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I want to get something for maybe doing 20-30 km about 3 times a week on country roads- pretty much leisure cycling. Would this be the job?

Absolutely.

A 90 minute leisurely cycle, no problem.

I went up the Hill of Howth on this bike, which is a steep climb.

And have also done offroad in Phoenix Park on it. Its quite versatile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Absolutely.

A 90 minute leisurely cycle, no problem.

I went up the Hill of Howth on this bike, which is a steep climb.

And have also done offroad in Phoenix Park on it. Its quite versatile.
    Sound job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭Treppen

Aluminium forks...For downhill off road (like the phoenix park areas mentioned here)... Avoid.... or not worry about it. Read on other cycling cites that people would avoid if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I'd go for this one..
    I'd avoid suspension unless you intend doing some downhill,off-road cycling.

Mr. Cats wrote: »
    As above, the front of suspension will add a lot of extra weight, maybe without much advantage. It depends on the riding you’re expecting to do. If you’re planning to cycle mainly on roads then a lighter bike will probably be better for you than a bike with front suspension. The heavy bike might make hills very tough.

If you’re looking in Halfords, I’ve seen this bike quoted a couple of times here as a potential good buy:

I got that bike and love it. If you'd rather a chain and more gears obviously don't, but it looks great, it's really quiet and smooth changing gears. The 8.8 hasn't the carbon forks if that's a problem.

Advertisement