Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France stage 7: Vierzon to Le Creusot (248 km)

• 02-07-2021 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,978 ✭✭✭✭

to5ZZ7Qi4F8CRaJeNjHzf8.jpeg

A day for the breakaway more than likely, Campanaerts has come out and said as much saying the whole team are going to try for the break.
    Maybe Bora or Bahrain will keep them in check if Sagan or Colbrelli are feeling good, or maybe AF if MVDP is at risk of losing the yellow jersey.
    If its altogether for the last 20k, Alaphillipe to try something?

I'll have a stab with Michael Woods as an outsider

1b89289e303054939c4c30802030f280.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I was just about to click "Submit New Thread" :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

And me. Have it all ready to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,258 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yesterdays first break, today!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Anyway I've put a fiver on De Gent. If he doesn't bother trying to get away then it's money down the drain but hey ho.

WvA looks like he wants to be in the break

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I like van der Poel today, with Alaphilippe as the big danger to him.

Victor Campenaerts is wearing sunglasses :eek:

I'd love to see someone like Turgis have a go today, he's been up there in the classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

eagle eye wrote: »
    I like van der Poel today, with Alaphilippe as the big danger to him.

Alaphilippe a great price today each-way

This is hilarious. WvA is determined to get in the breakaway. So MvdP is following him. And then Alaphilippe is chasing them :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Paddigol

This is hilarious. WvA is determined to get in the breakaway. So MvdP is following him. And then Alaphilippe is chasing them :D

They'll all probably mark themselves out of it and Sagan will shoot off up the road!

UAE are putting in a lot of effort to try and catch this breakaway. Very interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 13,978 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Great stuff for the race, pressure on UAE to work now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭G1032

UAE are putting in a lot of effort to try and catch this breakaway. Very interesting

Only 5 teams not in the break. How did UAE let this go without getting someone in the break

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭G1032

What a break. A who's who of classics riders.

I saw this going earlier and came back just now and couldn't believe UAE let some of these guys go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

can cav make it three????

:p

Kelly is fired up for this today isn't he.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,237 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Enfilade wrote: »
    I saw this going earlier and came back just now and couldn't believe UAE let some of these guys go.

Would have been easier stop than have to try control after

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think they need to be worried about Van Aert. He got over the mountains quite well last year and that was a part of the Jumbo Visma train. He was usually there very late with Roglic.

• Advertisement

A few on twitter saying ineos will eventually have to chase. Surely they're tactic should be to fire Carapaz/ Thomas/ Porte/ Tao off the front in rotating order? Similarly JV, with Rog and Vingegaarde, but time for Brailsford to put up or shut up regarding their "new attacking racing".

That was a big points haul for Cav in the green jersey competition (20 point gain)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Macy0161 wrote: »
    A few on twitter saying ineos will eventually have to chase. Surely they're tactic should be to fire Carapaz/ Thomas/ Porte/ Tao off the front in rotating order? Similarly JV, with Rog and Vingegaarde, but time for Brailsford to put up or shut up regarding their "new attacking racing".

Presume they'll wait until UAE have gone pop and the break is brought back within bridging distance to try that - but yeah, even though terrain isn't exactly testing, Ineos and JV could be in perfect position to punch and counter punch POG in the later stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Shut up, Cav

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Pogacar was basically a one man team last year and did great. Barring a mechanical/crash the tactic of tiring out UAE to isolate him won't work like it would have worked vs Froome who needed his teammates to hold his hand. Pogacar is ice cold under pressure, tactically very sound and is very talented. If they want to put him under pressure they'll have to do something else.

Yeah if it's bothering him that much get in front and pull instead of sitting on and giving out well after the fact.

Coneygree wrote: »
    Pogacar was basically a one man team last year and did great.
    He was more of a prospect last year rather than the favourite and defacto GC leader. He was able to sit on JV. He also did lose time when it was down to him when he was caught out in the crosswinds - if that happened again, those in front would've drilled it even harder.

About 20 km to go until the first climb of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I was up the hills on the bike this morning so didn't quite get around to it myself :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Morris Garren

25 riders here- but vast majority are invested in this; fascinating stage and a crucial next hour because if UAE don't get help soon, the gap is only going one way. Some really tough hills ahead still... Will old man Nibali or older man Gilbert have their day again? I'm loving it!

Advertisement