Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help with a potential leaf purchase

• 02-07-2021 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm looking at buying a leaf but the seller says that the price is cheap because is only charges through the chademo port and says the reason it's cheap is because of this.

Has anyone any experience?

If I can get an understanding of why this would happen IL fix it myself and buy the car I just need to know what this issue is and Google isn't helping me..

From the Google's I did it seems this means the home charging port Is broken and it will only charge through fast charge at garages

Thanks
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭innrain

Don't know how technical to go so I'll try easy. There is a component in the car which converts alternative current (AC) to direct current (DC). This component it is called on-board charger and in this case seems broken. The CHAdeMO is DC charging which does not need the on-board charger because it is build into the system you're plugging into the car. Hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

This car has popped up on the bargain thread a few times, it's a 1.5k - 2k fix

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Registered Users Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If it was a easy fix , it would have been picked up by someone in the trade and flipped

• Registered Users Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

slave1 wrote: »
    Walk from that car

Seconded, I'd steer clear of this one

I lived off a local DC charger for the first month with my Leaf and it's a total PITA

Basically the charger port or on board charger is broken. The seller should have a diagnostic report to show what's wrong

I don't think independent garages would fix the issue and I wouldn't recommend trying it yourself unless you've a lot of experience in automotive electronics.

If you get it wrong repairing it then you could connect yourself to a 400V battery, which would be a fairly uncomfortable experience right up to the point you die

So you'll probably need to talk to Nissan about repairing it. They should be able to give you a price on the parts and repairs, I would expect it to cost a couple of grand

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,676 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Goose81 wrote: »
    I'm looking at buying a leaf but the seller says that the price is cheap

It's not cheap. That car has been for sale for many, many months and obviously nobody is buying. He has been dropping the price, but he is still looking for €3.5k, which is insane. You can buy a perfectly good Leaf for less than that.

At about €2k it would be a decent buy. But if and only if you could live with CHAdeMO charging only. Don't even think about getting it fixed unless you can do it yourself cheaply. I would have considered buying it for my daughter if I thought the seller might accept €2k. But I live around the corner from a CHAdeMO charger that is rarely used. And I guess the seller is a bit of a dreamer. Maybe eventually he'll sell it for what it is worth

Instead I bought a near perfect condition Renault Fluence Z.E. (basically the same tech underneath as the Nissan Leaf) for a bit over €2k instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭sh81722

For a real low low price I could be tempted as I would DIY repair it. A leaf is simple enough car with plenty of expertiece online. But no need for a second car now so won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

sh81722 wrote: »
    For a real low low price I could be tempted as I would DIY repair it. A leaf is simple enough car with plenty of expertiece online. But no need for a second car now so won't.

I didn't realize this was a potential DIY repair, have you any links to the fix, I'd be interested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭sh81722

I didn't realize this was a potential DIY repair, have you any links to the fix, I'd be interested

Depending on the age of the car, the charger is either in the boot just behind the rear seat or post 2013 it's on the topmost module on top of the power unit at the engine bay. In both cases the unit is liquid cooled and plumbed in the central cooling system.

I have no links but in the past have read about upgrading the charger. Both leaftalk and mynissanleaf have loads of historical content in their forums.

The basic jist is that the various systems in the car and bms communicate with the charger over standard canbus messaging and nissan or any compatible 3rd party charger then ramp up and down based on those. I suspect if you google brusa and nissan leaf you may find a big thread about if from circa 2012.

Advertisement